Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ww3

Abso-fucking-lutely. Just look at the population statistics. I predict massive conflicts before we're even up to 10 bil, and that will definitely be within our lifetime.

9000+

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    Bring back Project Orion if you want to leave Earth and actually get to a habitable location within the next century. There isn't any other way to do it in that timeframe.
    Space stations, honestly, that's what I see happening in the future soon enough, we've been finding ice on Mars so scientists are likely to want more and more to check out what's up there.
    It's Lethn...if he doesn't sound pissed off then there must be a rift in the space-time continuum - Ultimo
    According to fanbois in order for there to be no problems with an MMORPG you have to imagine it isn't there, well, they say ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethn View Post
    Space stations, honestly, that's what I see happening in the future soon enough, we've been finding ice on Mars so scientists are likely to want more and more to check out what's up there.
    You think we're going to be able to live on a space station with a significant population (i.e. >100,000) for an extended period of time? Are you THAT stupid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

6000+

You think we're going to be able to live on a space station with a significant population (i.e. >100,000) for an extended period of time? Are you THAT stupid?
    He just watched too much Star Trek

3000+

I think he meant that we could populate other masses within our solar system. Unfortunately the earth is the only planet close enough to the sun to sustain plant growth, WITH an atmosphere.

So a large space station would be the way to go, but that's just science fiction. A space station isn't self-sufficient, and requires resources (like fuel, which isn't renewable as of now) from earth.

If earth goes under you can kiss any chance of that sci-fi stuff working goodbye.

Spoiler
    Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Wickfield View Post
    I think he meant that we could populate other masses within our solar system. Unfortunately the earth is the only planet close enough to the sun to sustain plant growth, WITH an atmosphere.

So a large space station would be the way to go, but that's just science fiction. A space station isn't self-sufficient, and requires resources (like fuel, which isn't renewable as of now) from earth.

If earth goes under you can kiss any chance of that sci-fi stuff working goodbye.
    A generation ship powered by thermonuclear propulsion with timed cryogenic storage chambers could work in theory. Project Orion already worked out the logistics of the thermonuclear propulsion, it's a pity we haven't worked out cryogenics yet. I don't think we'd be able to produce sufficient food on a spaceship, even with thermonuclear propulsion (which grants a cruise velocity of .1c) to sustain conscious humans for the duration of an interstellar journey, sadly.

Then again...let's see. A Project Orion launch could fairly easily transport 5000 tons of payload. It could reach a cruise velocity of .1c; let's make a conservative estimate and put it at .08c. Alpha Centauri is about 4.3 ly away; let's make a conservative estimate and put the whole trip at 4.5 ly. We'll neglect the acceleration and deceleration times (which is probably stupid, since they'll be huge, but without a specific function to work with I can't exactly do the calculus that would be needed). That makes the whole trip equal to 4.5/.08=about 56 years. So the astronauts would be able to make the trip without dying, in theory. Now let's say that a person needs to eat 2 pounds of food a day (if it were pure fat, this would be 7000 calories; with pure sugar it would be about 3000 calories, so this should be acceptable). Neglecting the weight of the people, that gives you about 13,700 person-years (that is, a person could survive for 13,700 days on that much food). So if all the assumptions are correct, you could put about 240 people on the ship and keep them alive for 56 years with that much payload. That's...doable, I would think.
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 12-28-2008 at 18:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Lethn View Post
    That's why I say lets get up in space and have actually been saying it for years now, either the population will curb itself out of instinct just like what happens in nature when the population grows too much for the planet or we start expanding out into space.

I've always considered humanity at this point to be hovering towards the next age of evolution in technology as well as our way of thinking, right now we've basically stayed on this planet until the breaking point, once the point gets broken either humanity will end up destroying itself or we'll leave the planet.

I honestly think we'll just end up leaving the planet even if there is a WW3 because people will want to get away from it all and humanity's survivability rate is as high as cockroaches.
    We are evolving with our thinking. Look at how many people now days dont believe in Fairy tales. As time goes on, more people will drop the ancient superstitions and start thinking rationally, when that happens, the true glory of the human race will shine. Until that time that Religion is shed like a dirty diaper, the human race will continue to stink of poo and be sore from the diaper rash.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by [LoD] EE View Post
    We are evolving with our thinking. Look at how many people now days dont believe in Fairy tales. As time goes on, more people will drop the ancient superstitions and start thinking rationally, when that happens, the true glory of the human race will shine. Until that time that Religion is shed like a dirty diaper, the human race will continue to stink of poo and be sore from the diaper rash.
    I loled
    Quote Originally Posted by tallefred View Post
    Do you know how hard it is to get your penis into a 9 year old vagina? He was doing something difficult for God, I think you should respect that. Even if you don't follow his beliefs, Muhammed was sacrificing himself for something he believed in.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by The Goatbreeder View Post
    except the japanese robot attack that seems kinda right. A pact between Russia, China and japan would be devastating.
    I really doubt China and Japan would ally. Unless something really fucking drastic happened.
    Oh noes an 08er
    /shock
    /horror

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by Timthelord View Post
    I really doubt China and Japan would ally. Unless something really fucking drastic happened.
    WW3 isn't drastic?

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Forgin View Post
    WW3 isn't drastic?
    Nah Japan would ally with USA, and besides the chinese hate the japs.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallefred View Post
    Do you know how hard it is to get your penis into a 9 year old vagina? He was doing something difficult for God, I think you should respect that. Even if you don't follow his beliefs, Muhammed was sacrificing himself for something he believed in.

Normal User

well I'm guessing ww3 will start when the us will invade a country which really does have weapons of mass destruction (like IRAN...which I believe is next).

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Israel will cause WWIII.
    I don't doubt Israel will be the reason, but I do doubt they'll be the cause.

Banned

China, Russia and Israel vs NATO

World is populating quickly and our average IQ is dropping, we need something to wipe people out. Hopefully not me.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I don't doubt Israel will be the reason, but I do doubt they'll be the cause.
    The Muslim nations will get tired of Israel and attack to destroy it.
    The US will send alot of troops there leaving their country undefended, Russia moves into America, NATO nations attacks Russia, and then alot of other nations join the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    I thought there was only men. And a lot of beekeepers.