Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New pc build.

3000+

Default New pc build.

You guys seem to be good at this, and everyone seems to post one, so whatever. Here's my build. I've already ordered the mobo and the case. I'm not planning on doing crossfire or sli, so the mobo I believe is fair. What do you think? Anything I can cut out or replace to save money/ get better parts? I'll be buying up to $350 worth of components next month and every month after that until the system is built.

The only part I'm very unsure about is the processor, and whether or not it's smarter to get the quad, or get the faster clocked dual core. Ultimately I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference.

Diamond 4870PE51G ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-Express 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Video Card
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD1001FALS
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor, 2.40 GHz, 8M L2 Cache, LGA 775
    Lifetime Series Pro 750W Psu
    Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 8GB 2 x 4GB PC2-8500 1066MHz 240-Pin DDR2
    Cooler Master RC-932-KKN1-GP HAF 932
    MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1600 MHz PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 ATX Motherboard
    Acer V223-WBD 22" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor (Black)
    Logitech 970175-0403 Z-4 2.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer (Black)

I'll be probably buying a new keyboard, and will be cannibalizing the 20x dvd read optical drive from my other system.

Spoiler
    Spoiler

1000+

if you don't mind waiting, wait for the desktop intel I7's to come out early next year.

you won't be disappointed.

Or, if you get it now anyway, Go with the E8500 over the Quad cores. Especially for gaming.
    Dear Duncandun, ONE - You may not excessively communicate the same idea...
    -------
    Don't post stupid shit.
    Love,
    -Brannoc
    -------

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Duncandun View Post
    if you don't mind waiting, wait for the desktop intel I7's to come out early next year.

you won't be dissapointed.
    See... I've already ordered a non i7 board. I could send it back... but that would mean getting a +$250 processor, and probably ddr3 memory (also more expensive), and that would put me out of my budget.

And yes, I know that they're fast as hell (on the slowest one I saw something like 4.8GTs? christ...)

Spoiler
    Spoiler

3000+

anyone? I've never built one before and feedback would be nice.

Spoiler
    Spoiler

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Wickfield View Post
    Like I said, I mean wait for the DESKTOP I7 processors due out early next year, the processors out right now do not work that great in a standard desktop environment, they work much, much more efficiently as server processors or zombie thinkers.

and like I said in my edit, just get an e8500, radeon 4850 or 4870, and 2-3gb (or 4 if you have vista) of ram(800 or 1200 mhz), and your set.
    -------
    Don't post stupid shit.
    Love,
    -Brannoc
    -------

1000+

also, get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371006 instead of that psu you have. I've never heard of that brand, 99% likely that it is shit.

and i would get less ram, lol. 8 gb? really?

get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145184
    -------
    Don't post stupid shit.
    Love,
    -Brannoc
    -------

With that processor I wouldn't bother with 8 GB of RAM. (To be honest I wouldn't bother with 8 GB of RAM period, the performance gains would be marginal over 4 GB for quite a long time, but to each their own.) And since you won't be able to upgrade the CPU on that very well since the i7 is a different socket, I'd recommend getting an i7 and then just getting as much DDR3 RAM as you can afford and upgrading later. Or just save yourself some money and get less RAM. Don't take Duncandun's 800 MHz suggestion though, imo; get 1066 MHz RAM if your previous plan was 8 GB total.

Other than that you should probably get a PSU from a good brand as mentioned above.

Other than those two things, this looks fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Wickfield View Post
    I'd help you if it weren't for the fact that you got impatient after FIVE MINUTES.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    I'd help you if it weren't for the fact that you got impatient after FIVE MINUTES.
    Lol

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    i luv you too.

Spoiler
    Spoiler

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    With that processor I wouldn't bother with 8 GB of RAM. (To be honest I wouldn't bother with 8 GB of RAM period, the performance gains would be marginal over 4 GB for quite a long time, but to each their own.) And since you won't be able to upgrade the CPU on that very well since the i7 is a different socket, I'd recommend getting an i7 and then just getting as much DDR3 RAM as you can afford and upgrading later. Or just save yourself some money and get less RAM. Don't take Duncandun's 800 MHz suggestion though, imo; get 1066 MHz RAM if your previous plan was 8 GB total.

Other than that you should probably get a PSU from a good brand as mentioned above.

Other than those two things, this looks fine.
    Ok, I've modified my plans slightly, for the moment.

How much are those new desktop i7's going to run for? Cuz with a new build the whole thing will end up costing me over $200 extra for the i7 processor, i7 mobo, and 4 gigs of ddr3 ram. (approximately)

Spoiler
    Spoiler

Normal User

viluin knows his shit man lol, he usually answers the questions I have on here, I don't wanna get on his bad side

Infernal Covenant Clan Leader
    2000+
    Long term follower

I wonder if it would be possible to build a slot for a bomb in a PC.
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4492&dateli  ne=1205268451

Never group up with a retarded Dwarf; it's not big and it's not clever.

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    I wonder if it would be possible to build a slot for a bomb in a PC.
    But even more important, would you set it's BUS at 65 or 70 jihadahertz?
    <a href=http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif target=_blank>http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif</a>

Forumfall: Flames we can believe in...

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Duncandun View Post
    Like I said, I mean wait for the DESKTOP I7 processors due out early next year, the processors out right now do not work that great in a standard desktop environment, they work much, much more efficiently as server processors or zombie thinkers.

and like I said in my edit, just get an e8500, radeon 4850 or 4870, and 2-3gb (or 4 if you have vista) of ram(800 or 1200 mhz), and your set.
    I checked, desktop i7's are due out in q4 of 2009. I don't think I'm going to wait that long...

Spoiler
    Spoiler