Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000+

Default How do you survive a 5,000 foot free fall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgaLxD3wu6M

I bet not even the survivor knows.. But lives to tell the tale to his grandchildren.. "Once upon a time, I fell 5,000 feet and lived!"

I believe all this guy broke was his nose..

This proves that as humans, we are capable of surviving longer drops rather than short ones.. It must be from catching so much wind that you're able to glide down like superman rather than a straight drop.. This is my theory.. So you go diagonal towards the wind and make your way to the ground.. I will remember this if I need to ever jump out of a tall building.. This is of course my theory..

I also read something earlier today of another man surviving a 10,000 foot free fall, amazing..

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrothath View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgaLxD3wu6M
    It must be from catching so much wind that you're able to glide down like superman rather than a straight drop...
    or half open parachutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    As soon as the OP reads this he should press the <Alt+F4> combo to restore windows to their proper setting.

Normal User

What is this mongrel language scattered all over my screen

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Feyrband View Post
    or half open parachutes.
    I don't think he had any shoot at all..

Banned US1 Player

He used godmode.

Banned

He probably hit terminal velocity. There have been cases where people go unconscious and their limp bodies can dissipate the force of a fall like that.

a half open parachute isn't a "free fall"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA34PT41ig

And humanz don't "glide". It's just *splat*

Buy Darkfall thru my link & receive 20,000g + Gear to jumpstart your adventure!
    Don't forget to pm me afterwards!

2000+

dude did you watch the freaking video you linked? cmon now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    As soon as the OP reads this he should press the <Alt+F4> combo to restore windows to their proper setting.

1000+

he also landed on bushes, not hard ground
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136558&date  line=1225382029

1000+

every once in a very long while, purely by chance people survive enormous falls - circumstances like hitting snow or soft earth (slightly compressible) rather than water or rock (not compressible) help; so does absorbing some force by breaking your extremities before your upper body hits. I believe a couple of people have survived after falling 20,000+ feet (from airplanes breaking apart).

But once you go above just 20-40 feet, more than half the time you're dead. The vast majority of people falling thousands of feet end up stains on the ground.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    He probably hit terminal velocity. There have been cases where people go unconscious and their limp bodies can dissipate the force of a fall like that.
    Note to self: when falling to death, try to keep your coolness, relax and meditate for a while, maybe take a nap.

Shipwrecked Pirate
    (Guild User)
    Long term follower

Did you not watch the video that YOU posted??? seriously wtf???

Also, he landed in blackberry bushes, which (if you have ever encountered) would be about the best fucking thing you could possibly land on in such a circumstance (well, minus the thorns).
    Last edited by Virtra; 12-10-2008 at 03:34.
    Spoiler

5000+

Amazing but I've seen some stuff more impressive than that with skydiving.
    Hope, progress, and growth spring from the crypt of realized fallacies

[LoD]

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Durindana View Post
    every once in a very long while, purely by chance people survive enormous falls - circumstances like hitting snow or soft earth (slightly compressible) rather than water or rock (not compressible) help; so does absorbing some force by breaking your extremities before your upper body hits. I believe a couple of people have survived after falling 20,000+ feet (from airplanes breaking apart).

But once you go above just 20-40 feet, more than half the time you're dead. The vast majority of people falling thousands of feet end up stains on the ground.
    The real question is: would you try to land on your legs, maximizing your chances, hoping for one of those rare situations where you can survive (but acknowledging the kind of pain and suffering you'd have to deal with) or would you just dive in head down and say night night?

1000+

I would grab my ocarina and play the bird song, causing hundreds of birds to clamp on to me and fly me to safety.
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136558&date  line=1225382029