Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default Best Rural Internet Connection

    As far as I'm aware Dish/Satellite Internet is the next best thing in rural areas where you can't get DSL or Cable, correct? Is it feasible to be a competitve gamer in rural areas at all?

    Give me the dirt on the best Internet Satellite providers if you have experience in this market. I read recently that "All business Satellite Internet Providers utilize a policy referred to as the Fair Access Policy", which means speeds will be knocked down from (1.5mb to 128kps for exampe) half way into downloading a pr0n flick or what have you. I would assume you would even cap on your bandwith if you were doing heavy online gaming.

    I have yet to find a provider that allows more then a 1.5mb/500kb dl/ul speed. I'm not sure who provides the most liberal bandwith usage policy either. Enlighten me.

    On a side, what kind of speed are you gamers running w/ your internet connections?
    Last edited by Ulver; 12-08-2008 at 00:12.

  2. #2
    3000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sweden.
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Get cable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    I thought there was only men. And a lot of beekeepers.

  3. #3
    4000+
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cleverland
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    use pigeons to carry internet messages.

  4. #4
    9000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Forumfall
    Posts
    9,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Get cable.
    Speaking as someone whose house was half a mile from a public road and 2.5 miles from the nearest neighborhood until very recently, getting that much cable laid is really fucking expensive. One can get decent ping over DSL though; it's more of a matter of minimizing the background use of your bandwidth than anything.

    Where I am now we have a line rated in the Gbps, but it's shared by a rather large number of people. My personal bandwidth is ~10Mbps.
    Last edited by Narcowski; 12-08-2008 at 00:17.
    Avatars are overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkers View Post
    Narcowski, you're the best moderator on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by HauptmannHP View Post
    Narcowski won, gg.

  5. #5
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Get cable.
    Cable is N/A, we run off phone lines and dial up modems out here.

  6. #6
    5000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Poutine!
    Posts
    5,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shnedit View Post
    use pigeons to carry internet messages.
    I tried once, never had a single reply
    Hope, progress, and growth spring from the crypt of realized fallacies

    [LoD]

  7. #7
    3000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sweden.
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulver View Post
    Cable is N/A, we run off phone lines and dial up modems out here.
    Silly peasants, your masters are not pleased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    I thought there was only men. And a lot of beekeepers.

  8. #8
    2000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaker View Post
    I tried once, never had a single reply
    lol at your infinite ping
    /puff bubble pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbigdeal22 View Post
    I actually was a churchgoing Catholic till i was about 15 i still hold many of their morals true except their very conservative attitude towards ... masturbation i tend to disagree with that on a daily basis...
    Would saying I survived Young People Fucking be in bad taste?

  9. #9
    4000+
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cleverland
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaker View Post
    I tried once, never had a single reply
    neeed more pigeons!

  10. #10
    5000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Poutine!
    Posts
    5,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shnedit View Post
    neeed more pigeons!
    Ahhh! Thanks for the solution bro! If I am using eagle does it goes faster?
    Hope, progress, and growth spring from the crypt of realized fallacies

    [LoD]

  11. #11
    4000+
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cleverland
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaker View Post
    Ahhh! Thanks for the solution bro! If I am using eagle does it goes faster?
    need lots of eagles but eagles are better than pigeons.

  12. #12
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Bandwidth isn't the issue with satellite connections and gaming so much as the latency (aka ping or lag) which is usually pretty bad and not likely to be any better than dial-up.
    Spoiler

  13. #13
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Check into Clearwire, if that's unavailable check Verizon. Verizon has a USB modem you can buy, if a cell phone works where you live, then the Verizon USB modem should work. They're both pretty cheap and the monthly fees are low. With Dish or Satellite you're gonna spend a lot getting their equipment.

  14. #14
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulver View Post
    As far as I'm aware Dish/Satellite Internet is the next best thing in rural areas where you can't get DSL or Cable, correct? Is it feasible to be a competitve gamer in rural areas at all?

    Give me the dirt on the best Internet Satellite providers if you have experience in this market. I read recently that "All business Satellite Internet Providers utilize a policy referred to as the Fair Access Policy", which means speeds will be knocked down from (1.5mb to 128kps for exampe) half way into downloading a pr0n flick or what have you. I would assume you would even cap on your bandwith if you were doing heavy online gaming.

    I have yet to find a provider that allows more then a 1.5mb/500kb dl/ul speed. I'm not sure who provides the most liberal bandwith usage policy either. Enlighten me.

    On a side, what kind of speed are you gamers running w/ your internet connections?
    Move out of a shithole?

    Signature is experiencing technical difficulties, please stay tuned.

  15. #15
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shnedit View Post
    need lots of eagles but eagles are better than pigeons.
    Hawks give the best ping, better for gaming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •