Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Hope this doesnt push back the launch

Riots Erupt in Greece After Cops Shoot and Kill Boy, 16
    Saturday, December 06, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ATHENS, Greece — Rioting has erupted in central Athens after police reportedly shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

Witnesses say the violence began Saturday evening when youths in the Exarchia neighborhood of the capital attacked a police car with rocks and firebombs, and one of the officers inside fired a weapon that seriously wounded the teenage boy.

Two Greek TV stations say the youth was rushed to a hospital but died upon arrival.

The news enraged hundreds of youths in the area who began rioting by attacking other police cars in the area with stones and firebombs. Police have responded by firing tear gas at the crowd, evacuating some restaurants in the area, and closing some streets to all traffic.

Normal User

seems like only some streets and restaurants are being evacuated. It's also on a saturday evening, I doubt anyones trying to get work done, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos
    Some people doubt it's possible, others worry that it is.

Normal User

This goes in OT and you obviously have a heart of stone.
    k.

1000+

well that sucks, but no 1 told the boy to go and hit a car with firebombs

well I dont think it will delay the game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaydoe View Post
    Riots Erupt in Greece After Cops Shoot and Kill Boy, 16
    Saturday, December 06, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ATHENS, Greece — Rioting has erupted in central Athens after police reportedly shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

Witnesses say the violence began Saturday evening when youths in the Exarchia neighborhood of the capital attacked a police car with rocks and firebombs, and one of the officers inside fired a weapon that seriously wounded the teenage boy.

Two Greek TV stations say the youth was rushed to a hospital but died upon arrival.

The news enraged hundreds of youths in the area who began rioting by attacking other police cars in the area with stones and firebombs. Police have responded by firing tear gas at the crowd, evacuating some restaurants in the area, and closing some streets to all traffic.
    /facepalm
    super advanced discussion, someone got mugged in Chicago, and there's a traffic jam in maine, you don't see Compaq shutting down do you?

I mean it could POSSSIBLY affect them but, you're really dumb

Normal User

Sort of a sad commentary on things, when a child dies and civil unrest breaks out, and someone is only worried about it affecting a game launch. *chuckle*

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlameDeluge View Post
    /facepalm
    super advanced discussion, someone got mugged in Chicago, and there's a traffic jam in maine, you don't see Compaq shutting down do you?

I mean it could POSSSIBLY affect them but, you're really dumb
    Easy there big guy... No reason to get worked up over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos
    Some people doubt it's possible, others worry that it is.

2000+

The police were under fire, they reacted in a completely acceptable way. It is sad that the youth died, but the rioters are ridiculous. If the boy was part of the group attacking the car, than I see nothing wrong with the actions on the part of the police, they were defending them-selves. Thus, why the riot?

@Praetorian: I don't think that child is the right word to use. Most people think of children as innocent and ignorant, a youth of 16 is not fully under this umbrella, he was old enough to take responsibilities for his actions.
    Last edited by flakmonky; 12-06-2008 at 23:28.
    Why I hunt dwarves...
    Orks: dirty, rotten, mud-covered...
    Humans: are six hours away,
    Alfar: just do not look like healthy eating,
    Mirdain: have no meat to them,
    Mahirim: What? I'm no cannibal,

Dwarves: lots of tasty meat

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by flakmonky View Post
    The police were under fire, they reacted in a completely acceptable way. It is sad that the youth died, but the rioters are ridiculous. If the boy was part of the group attacking the car, than I see nothing wrong with the actions on the part of the police, they were defending them-selves. Thus, why the riot?
    cause today youth is full of shit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flakmonky View Post
    If someone goes to UT and graffiti's "UT SUCKS A&M ROCKS YOUR WORLD" on a school building, expect to see 20 caravans of people making a trip to college station and returning the favor 20fold, broken glass and all.

riots don't have to make sense

EDIT: its sad that a youth died, but why do people make a bigger deal when children die than when normal people die... are children somehow more valuable than normal people? I'm considered a youth/young adult (20) and I hate how the media makes a big fuss about when someone my age ish dies and doesn't do the same when someone like 40 dies.
    Last edited by TheFlameDeluge; 12-06-2008 at 23:31.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    Hey, I resent that. Some of us have level heads, and I doubt that your elders thought any different about you. Think please, preferably before you speak.

@Deluge: they have to have a spark, and that usually requires something more than just what happened. I would be interested in hearing how the original story was covered.
    Last edited by flakmonky; 12-06-2008 at 23:31.
    Why I hunt dwarves...
    Orks: dirty, rotten, mud-covered...
    Humans: are six hours away,
    Alfar: just do not look like healthy eating,
    Mirdain: have no meat to them,
    Mahirim: What? I'm no cannibal,

Dwarves: lots of tasty meat

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    Say that 1 more time plz
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    Somewhere out there is a rabbit with a pancake on it's head.

3000+

Stupid kid, he got what he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    I thought there was only men. And a lot of beekeepers.

Normal User

Why would you not post this in off topic? It is clearly OT.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CorvusStormcrow View Post
    Couchsurfing Americans have trouble imagining other nations being more complex than a main street with a gas station, so a riot in Athens means all of Greece is involved from the point of view of a typical Fox News viewer.
    this was exactly what i was trying to say in my post that got flamed... no need to say fox news viewer though that's stereotyping sh!t (though fox news viewers ARE mainly conservative/supernationalist)