Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Infernal Covenant Clan Leader
    2000+
    Long term follower

Default Amazing crime prevention monitoring system

Civil Liberties groups can go to hell

This is an excellent piece of technology, Minority Report style that can predict crime apparently.
    Not sure why Civil Liberties groups are crying about it; anything that can help reduce crime is a good thing.

Imagine a couple having a quiet day in the park. Out of nowhere, a van full of police and security guards surround them. They get publically humiliated because the security camera flagged them as ‘high risk for loitering’.

This may sound like a violation of personal privacy, but real life “Minority Report” style CCTV cameras are now being used in Portsmouth, as testing ground for future technology to prevent theft and crime.

Programmed to detect suspicious activity and then alert police, the cameras can essentially pick up on potential crimes and alert authorities in time to possibly stop the crime from taking place.

The cool sounding system uses a 20 video channel system to monitor 100 cameras from Smart CCTV, the company who makes the cameras, at a cost of £25,000.

But civil liberties groups are not happy about the violation of privacy rights by subjecting innocent people to harassment.

The cameras have however been reported to capture actual crimes, so experts believe that the technology could soon be used to prevent fraud and theft effectively. What do you think?
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4492&dateli  ne=1205268451

Never group up with a retarded Dwarf; it's not big and it's not clever.

2000+

Loitering in the park? Isn't that what parks are made for?

Anyways.... Sounds damn inconvenient for potheads who just stand in front of a building all day
    /puff bubble pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbigdeal22 View Post
    I actually was a churchgoing Catholic till i was about 15 i still hold many of their morals true except their very conservative attitude towards ... masturbation i tend to disagree with that on a daily basis...
    Would saying I survived Young People Fucking be in bad taste?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post

This is an excellent piece of technology, Minority Report style that can predict crime apparently.
    Not sure why Civil Liberties groups are crying about it; anything that can help reduce crime is a good thing.
    CCTV sounds a lot like CCCP.

14,000+

its a proper safety measure to ensure the security of the citizenry.

4000+

It's cause they hate America and are so stupid that they think giving more power to the government isn't good for the people of the country.

That, and they like to have sex with sheep which I am sure would come up as a suspicious behavior.

4000+

I dont like the sounds of it... when im out shoppin, especially with a girl mate with me, when theyre trying things on I always get suspicious looks and to shop keepers it prob does look like im going to try and rob sumit, I just dont know what to do with myself when im waiting in a shop for someone.

So screw that idea, as id get harrassed alot.

1000+ Long term follower

A truckfull of cops to catch someone suspected of loitering?

Doesn't sound like a good use of resources imo.

Also, 1984.
    I won the sexecutive thread

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. - Don Hirschberg

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by IthroZada View Post
    Anyways.... Sounds damn inconvenient for potheads who just stand in front of a building all day
    If you take drugs in public, rather than in the privacy of your home, you deserve to get caught.

5000+

Tsh, I'm glad here in Finland we won't be seeing those things, since here, actually planning to commit a crime isn't crime itself.

Come, Unstoppable Eraser Rain.
    [DF Beta: Chimera Project - Alfar]
    [DF Release: ??? - ???? ]

2000+

it's not bad but it's a waste of money to use it for stupid shit like loitering. If it statistically drives down theft, violence, and or rape/ sex crimes. Then I'll be more open minded about it. But right now it just seems like a fancy rent a cop.

Republic of Chaldor Clan Leader

But I don't understand what they are supposed to do?

"Stop! Don't think that thought of committing a crime!"

What's the proof? A video showing you behaving suspicious and typical "criminal" ? You didn't do squat yet... I mean, it's retarded in that way.

Join the Republic of Chaldor! Click on the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    I wish I could say I was <3 years old. The age of love and happiness.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Morthor View Post
    If you take drugs in public, rather than in the privacy of your home, you deserve to get caught.
    It works for Jay and Silent Bob

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobaj View Post
    But I don't understand what they are supposed to do?

"Stop! Don't think that thought of committing a crime!"

What's the proof? A video showing you behaving suspicious and typical "criminal" ? You didn't do squat yet... I mean, it's retarded in that way.
    But after you get swarmed by S.W.A.T. before you even actually committed the crime, are you really going to want to go through with it, you know for a fact they are watching you
    Last edited by IthroZada; 12-01-2008 at 20:25.
    /puff bubble pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbigdeal22 View Post
    I actually was a churchgoing Catholic till i was about 15 i still hold many of their morals true except their very conservative attitude towards ... masturbation i tend to disagree with that on a daily basis...
    Would saying I survived Young People Fucking be in bad taste?

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by maskedtears View Post
    it's not bad but it's a waste of money to use it for stupid shit like loitering. If it statistically drives down theft, violence, and or rape/ sex crimes. Then I'll be more open minded about it. But right now it just seems like a fancy rent a cop.
    Statistics arent the only thing that matters here. I mean, you could just throw hundreds of thousands of people into jail for the tiniest offence and that would statistically reduce crime... its about the balance between the results and the costs (in this case, money and privacy) It should be down to whether the people are OK with it, I know the UK is known for having lots of cameras, particularly the city where I live but I'm glad they are there tbh, you feel much more secure if you are not breaking the law.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet View Post
    CCTV sounds a lot like CCCP.
    CCTV sounds like CCTV, the Chinese National TV (which is an actual TV) ... hmm I wonder how no one noticed that yet.

You may have won this round, Shads, but I'll have my revenge!
    -Surly

9000+

anything that can help reduce crime is a good thing.
    Really? Anything?
    What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

-Conan

Disclaimer: This post is not a bomb.