Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: MMO Angst

Default MMO Angst

I have what might be described as MMO angst. Namely, I am playing WAR to placate friends who will bitch at me for "quitting every MMO," when in reality I just quit the shitty ones early on, and sadly that is the standard for the theme park crap mass-produced for our gaming pleasure. I've been slightly dishonest with how much I loathe WAR to them, for at the very least politeness sake, but I cannot take it any more. It is shit, the industry is shit, and for the love of god Aventurine, please offer us Americans a digital download in mid-December. Frankly, I don't know if I have a few more months of the crap-fest in me, and I'm twitching like a junkie over here.

If you no longer like us Americans after Bush, do it for the Aussies.
    zero

"A good martial artist does not become tense, but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands, I contract. And when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, I do not hit, it hits all by itself." - Bruce Lee

4000+

Dude, go outside and see the light!!

on a serious note I agree, I stopped playing AoC pretty soon and now im bored in the nights im at home cos I have nothing to play

9000+

Get some new friends who aren't peer pressure dick heads, honestly, it's just a game and you should always be able to choose what you want to play.
    It's Lethn...if he doesn't sound pissed off then there must be a rift in the space-time continuum - Ultimo
    According to fanbois in order for there to be no problems with an MMORPG you have to imagine it isn't there, well, they say ignorance is bliss.

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by antihero-zero View Post
    I have what might be described as MMO angst. Namely, I am playing WAR to placate friends who will bitch at me for "quitting every MMO," when in reality I just quit the shitty ones early on, and sadly that is the standard for the theme park crap mass-produced for our gaming pleasure. I've been slightly dishonest with how much I loathe WAR to them, for at the very least politeness sake, but I cannot take it any more. It is shit, the industry is shit, and for the love of god Aventurine, please offer us Americans a digital download in mid-December. Frankly, I don't know if I have a few more months of the crap-fest in me, and I'm twitching like a junkie over here.

If you no longer like us Americans after Bush, do it for the Aussies.
    Get a hobby?
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

Play FPS's..can't say any of the MMO's out at the moment are worth playing if like PVP..Guildwars isnt bad but apart from that..couldnt recommend anything

I played Guild Wars, but it wasn't really my thing. I'm not into scenario PvP, it feels so contrived and it gets repetious so quickly.

I'd be happily playing Fallout 3 if I wasn't waiting for better mods to release to increase the difficulty and possibly raise the level cap a bit.

My reasons for sticking with WAR aren't entirely selfless, and I've just merged with a hardcore PvP guild that is run by salty UO veterans like myself. They plan to join DFO and are evidently active in the community here, so I'm using my time in WAR to suss them out, and make sure these are guys I want to play with. They're the top guild on our server and were the first to siege the Order city (WAR reference) for all of the servers, so I expect great things from them.
    zero

"A good martial artist does not become tense, but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands, I contract. And when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, I do not hit, it hits all by itself." - Bruce Lee

Normal User

AoC was a huge kick in the nads experience. WAR isn't too bad imo... I'll probably be playing it until I can check out Darkfall.

Mods for Fallout 3 : -
    http://www.fileplanet.com/194521/190...ddon-Pack-v1.0

There is a one in there which will remove the level cap and slow down the xp gain.
    Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day... set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life!

Normal User

You made me lol antihero-zero. Thanks, I needed it.

2000+

Drop your friends. They're a bunch of losers
    Last edited by Mr.LichTwitch; 11-20-2008 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinous View Post
    There is a one in there which will remove the level cap and slow down the xp gain.
    Yeah, I already know about that, thanks. Specifically I want to wait for an increase to the difficulty though, as that is my primary complaint. I've been playing on "very hard" and I easily kill everything and have a ton of extra ammo and stim packs, have reached level cap, and am only halfway through the game (my wife beat it already). I want to struggle and risk dying if the game is going to be some save-fest instant win. This is why I stopped Oblivion too, because it was easy mode. I played Oblivion on maxed difficulty, truly enjoyed it, but then maxed all my skills after 1 cave of mobs. It was lame.
    zero

Normal User

Do it for the aussies.

2000+

Do it for the aussies.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by antihero-zero View Post
    [...] do it for the Aussies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxodi View Post
    Do it for the aussies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVolgan View Post
    Do it for the aussies.
    Stop, you'll ruin it!

I dont' have a problem with Theme Park MMO's as much as some people. Theme Park MMO's have an advantage of story-telling when done right.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanpinard View Post
    I dont' have a problem with Theme Park MMO's as much as some people. Theme Park MMO's have an advantage of story-telling when done right.
    Read a book or watch a movie.
    Heck, play a single-player game.

Story Theme-park MMOs don't work because you're essentially trying to fit millions of possible characters into a limited number of story arcs. Even worse, you're putting them in the same room with the other people who potentially did the exact same thing.

Just imagine the typical group:

Person 1: "Hi, I'm Bob. I killed the legendary Megatron dragon that was threatening the kingdom and became a Knight of the Silver Chalice!"
    Person 2: "Wow, me too!"
    Person 3: "Holy shit, so did I!"
    Person 4: "We all killed that dragon you morons."
    Person 2: "Well I bet he wasn't your father."