Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    2000+ katahlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iasi, Romania
    Posts
    2,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtra View Post
    Well then you are definitely someone who prejudged the show completely unfairly... Dexter is not another clichéd cop show.
    I'm not sure he was talking about Dexter in the first place.

    "Sexualized violence"? WTF is that? And police letting someone to do the killing for them must be the story of another series, because that's not what happens in Dexter.
    [TFK]Zugrush Dorfbane

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    I said story, not show. Like movies where someone might say "hey, davis, you're a loose cannon and you kill and torture random people, but you're the best damn cop we've ever had. Here's your Christmas bonus. I love you, man"
    You are ignorant. Watch the show or stop replying to this thread, because you obviously have no idea of what you're talking about.

    He's not even a cop, he's a forensic blood spatter analyst.

    Owned in a single reply.

  3. #33
    1000+
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    The commercials I saw were eluding that the police knew about his killings but kept him because he was too good of a detective. The film quality looked bad, the snips of acting they selected were terrible and cliche. Maybe CBS just has a really sucky advertising department, but I wouldn't want to watch the limey turd just because of how poorly it was presented. "Ooh, aah, Dexter's got a new girlfriend and hes a serial killer, ooh she better watch out." How captivating.

    Sexualized violence. You don't understand that? The show is about a serial killer, typically someone who prays on those who are vulnerable and defenseless. It was inferred that Dexter has a preference for female victims, as well. But even if not, the drawn out and intimate-seeming acts of torture that one associates with serial killers, against the defenseless, especially the restrained, are quite sexual in nature.

    I criticize it and refuse to watch it for the same reasons I might the SAW movies. The crappy production, writing, and acting aside (far far aside, as people only watch it for the "violence"), they appeal violence in a sexual manner. Heavily breathing, tightly restrained, sweaty, good looking people who are eventually killed in imaginative ways, screaming and moaning along the way. They are trying to turn violence into a sexual craving. People will want more of the same violence, and luckily those companies provide plenty of the same type of material. You know they call them 'torture porn' right?
    Last edited by AngusFinch; 11-20-2008 at 11:59.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    The commercials I saw were eluding that the police knew about his killings but kept him because he was too good of a detective. The film quality looked bad, the snips of acting they selected were terrible and cliche. Maybe CBS just has a really sucky advertising department, but I wouldn't want to watch the limey turd just because of how poorly it was presented. "Ooh, aah, Dexter's got a new girlfriend and hes a serial killer, ooh she better watch out." How captivating.

    Sexualized violence. You don't understand that? The show is about a serial killer, typically someone who prays on those who are vulnerable and defenseless. It was inferred that Dexter has a preference for female victims, as well. But even if not, the drawn out and intimate-seeming acts of torture that one associates with serial killers, against the defenseless, especially the restrained, are quite sexual in nature.

    I criticize it and refuse to watch it for the same reasons I might the SAW movies. The crappy production, writing, and acting aside (far far aside, as people only watch it for the "violence"), they appeal violence in a sexual manner. Heavily breathing, tightly restrained, sweaty, good looking people who are eventually killed in imaginative ways, screaming and moaning along the way. They are trying to turn violence into a sexual craving. People will want more of the same violence, and luckily those companies provide plenty of the same type of material. You know they call them 'torture porn' right?
    Wow, you are the only person on this entire forum that I have to reply with a "you are a fucking retard."

    You've earned this award, Congratulations!

  5. #35
    5000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1984
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    It's good if you watch it in sequence. If you mix it up and miss parts its probably going to suck like Lost and 24 did for me when I did that.

    How many of you noticed his GF was in Rambo?
    (color=#333333)(/color)

  6. #36

    Default

    I <3 House

    I wish I had a doctor like that.

  7. #37
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    5,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rycon View Post
    What do you think about the dexter series?

    Finished season 1 and am at season 2 episode 8.It is just fucking awesome.There is no way i would get bored of it.

    For those who do not know what i am talking about
    http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=dexter&x=0&y=0
    i liked it more in the first season. i REALLY liked the first episode.

    i dunno, ill watch the new season, but somehow its just not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

  8. #38
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    5,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackhowitzer View Post
    If you want another FANTASTIC series, watch The Shield, on FX. It's on its series finale, not because of ratings, but because they're making a definite ending.
    Sons of Anarchy is good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

  9. #39
    9000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dallas - 127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrik View Post
    Sons of Anarchy is good too.
    Yeah it is ... I just wish I would have never found out it's Hamlet story.

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    The commercials I saw were eluding that the police knew about his killings but kept him because he was too good of a detective.
    A.K.A: I have no idea what I'm talking, have never seen a single episode, so really have no clue how the acting is or what the cinematography is like,and I obviously don't anything about the story line or character arks. But, I will still make statements of fact like I have the first clue about what I'm saying, when I really don't know anything about it.

    Last edited by Jezrith; 11-20-2008 at 18:03.
    What is best in life?

    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

    -Conan

    Disclaimer: This post is not a bomb.

  10. #40
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Galloway, NJ
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Dexter is a great show.

    And Angus, you've got it completely wrong.
    He's a forensic guy, not a detective, he just tells the detectives what the blood spatter at a crime scene indicates.
    Also, pretty much nobody knows that he is a serial killer, not the cops, not even his sister or gf.
    He was taught to kill by his father, who made him follow a code and only kill murderers who are likely to murder again.
    He doesn't torture them per se, but he does have a ritual. He shows them a picture of each of their victims, makes a little cut on their cheek, and then usually kills them quickly. The kills scenes don't tend to be very long.

    Most of the show is either about not getting caught, or about other things that are going on in his life, which generally get complicated by his little hobby and his own changing understanding of who he is.
    To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror;
    to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror.

  11. #41
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    5,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    The commercials I saw were eluding that the police knew about his killings but kept him because he was too good of a detective. The film quality looked bad, the snips of acting they selected were terrible and cliche. Maybe CBS just has a really sucky advertising department, but I wouldn't want to watch the limey turd just because of how poorly it was presented. "Ooh, aah, Dexter's got a new girlfriend and hes a serial killer, ooh she better watch out." How captivating.

    Sexualized violence. You don't understand that? The show is about a serial killer, typically someone who prays on those who are vulnerable and defenseless. It was inferred that Dexter has a preference for female victims, as well. But even if not, the drawn out and intimate-seeming acts of torture that one associates with serial killers, against the defenseless, especially the restrained, are quite sexual in nature.

    I criticize it and refuse to watch it for the same reasons I might the SAW movies. The crappy production, writing, and acting aside (far far aside, as people only watch it for the "violence"), they appeal violence in a sexual manner. Heavily breathing, tightly restrained, sweaty, good looking people who are eventually killed in imaginative ways, screaming and moaning along the way. They are trying to turn violence into a sexual craving. People will want more of the same violence, and luckily those companies provide plenty of the same type of material. You know they call them 'torture porn' right?

    well youre wrong, nobody knows hes a serial kiler. in fact, a major story line of the first season was that his sergeant always knew there was something "off" about him and was following him. the first (or maybe 2nd) season ends with his crazy girlfriend murdering his sergeant when he finds Dexter dumping bodies in the bay.

    its NOT inferred he prefers female victims, he only kills 3 or 4 females in the whole show. he kills random murderers, and then hes the one who does the blood spatter analysis, so he can cover up what really happened.

    also, he never tortures his victims, he sedates them and they wake up duct taped to a table and slits their throats and dumps them in the bay. thats how it always happens. the closest thing to torture that he does is make a little cut on their cheek and take a blood sample as a trophy.



    i dont like later seasons because they changed the character o make him more emotional (whereas in the first season hes "hollow")
    Last edited by Marrik; 11-20-2008 at 19:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

  12. #42
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Jotun View Post
    I hate to see comments like this for the most underrated show ever made, and that is defintely Dexter. Sure, there are some mediocre parts due to story buildup for amazing twists and turns, abit predictible sometimes but this show is absolutely fantastic.


    Maybe you haven't seen other people like Misuka or Angel or even Deborah in real life, but to be honest the dialogue again sounds more realistic in conversation than most shows. Not to mention the acting is pretty fucking great, and I believe Michael C. Hall deserves all the recognition he gets now, and in the future.

    That is all.

    You would agree with me if you've seen the entire show up to episode 08 so far, because I think you haven't.

    (Sigh) OK ive seen every episode and read the first two books so that basically nullifies half your point to begin with but ill go on.

    One, Dexter is a complete psycopath. He follows Harrys code out of a feeling of gratitude and because he recognizes its effectiveness. Without the code hed be torturing plenty of innocent men and women to death. His only remotely human characteristic is a fondness for children. Aside from that every aspect of his existence is calculated.

    Rita is played by a mediocre actress and the character as a whole is just grating. His relationship with Lila makes no sense whatsoever if you consider Dexter as a character. First, hes almost entirely asexual. The reason he initially gets with Rita in the first place is because shes so emotionally traumatized from previous rapes by her ex husband, she doesnt want to have sex at all. This is a perfect example of how quality is abandoned for the sake of making a buck. Showtime needs to have some romance and sex, so they modify the character.


    Dialogue is wooden to the point of being painful. Im stunned that you find it realistic.


    Aside from Michael C Hall who does an adequate if not good job, the majority of the actors on that show are incapable of bringing any life or charisma to their characters. Theres nothing really to Dexter as a character anymore. Where once we had someone grounded and unique, now we have this wishy washy, perpetually confused man child that occasionally kills people.

  13. #43
    2000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    The show is definetly good. But I hate how it strays from the book series. I suppose it is because it is too violent and disturbing for tv audiences... Even on Showtime?
    "For every Complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."
    "I will endure all this subhuman driveling shit with a smile."
    SSBB Friend code: 0344-8947-8367

  14. #44
    5000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    5,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curcio View Post
    The show is definetly good. But I hate how it strays from the book series. I suppose it is because it is too violent and disturbing for tv audiences... Even on Showtime?
    whats the book series like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

  15. #45
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrik View Post
    whats the book series like?
    Hes much less human.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •