Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Enforcing NDAs

7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower

Default Enforcing NDAs

How are they doing it? Like, what repercussions could there be, and how would they prove it was you if you put it on somewhere like 4chan?

I'm seriously curious how they are keeping several 100 people from posting so much as a screen shot. Is there legal action attached to it or something? Most EULA/TOS agreements last an entire 2 minutes in court cases... they are mostly fear machines. NDAs would be similar, or so I would think. The problem comes from overuse and not enforcing them... once someone breaks the NDA, EULA, or TOS and the consequences aren't enforced, that essentially allows everyone to break it, as well as proving that I somehow hurt you by posting a picture of your game.

Similar to copyright laws, and from what little research I did on it, NDAs were "effectively" enforced in the past not because of what was in the NDA, but because the user violated copyright law.

Not encouraging someone to break it, I just don't see how they could keep someone from posting ANYTHING about it ANYWHERE. This is the fucking internet... and every game I've ever seen beta tested, even with the most stringent NDA, had SOME kind of leak. Unless they personally know all the players... "friends and family" beta testing, and trust them.

Thoughts? I've never personally broken an NDA when I was beta testing (WoW, SWG, and a couple others not worth mentioning), and I may just have a massive misunderstanding of how this whole thing works.... I just see them as semi-useless.

14,000+

Its a conspiracy

7000+
    Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    Its a conspiracy
    lol, coming from someone named "killuminati" and semi-knowing your personality, this isn't a surprising response from you.

they can tell who it is by race, time of day and your postion in the game world.....

Seriously tho i would be too busy running around going OMFG darkfall to tell anyone about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    Your signature has been noted to be extraordinarily violent by several users, I agree. Please change it. =[

We can only assume that the game is so sweet, that nobody wants to stop playing for long enough to upload a video.

14,000+

Lawl, but seriously. There should have been a leak somewhere. I'm not willing to believe that a small group of developers who are brand new at this, are able to silence their testers. While other companies have leaks for their betas all the time.
    Last edited by Killuminati; 11-18-2008 at 16:16.

1000+

Nobody dares to defy Tasos.

IGN: Kor Phaeron (EU)

1000+ Long term follower

yea other than trying to figure it out and ban your beta account, there really isn't any legal recourse if only because leaking a SS or beta video would cause no actionable damages.

If there are 100+ ppl in beta, we have to assume they are keeping quiet out of respect? I'm hoping that's it and not that there really is no serious beta going on.

/shrug

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    Nobody dares to defy Tasos.
    You'd end up drowning in a tank of tzatziki in a pair of cement shoes.

3000+

Personally, if I had gotten into the beta. I would just have a massive orgasm and relief that the game ACTUALLY EXISTED and was good (u know if that was the case) and everything was in perfect order I would never have to break the NDA even, because I would be so pleased I would just wait for everyone else to get their own share of that experience.

14,000+

Quote Originally Posted by PainlessDeath View Post
    yea other than trying to figure it out and ban your beta account, there really isn't any legal recourse if only because leaking a SS or beta video would cause no actionable damages.

If there are 100+ ppl in beta, we have to assume they are keeping quiet out of respect? I'm hoping that's it and not that there really is no serious beta going on.

/shrug
    What is their incentive to not tell their guildies about it? Once information is leaked it spreads like a wildfire.

What is their incentive to not tell their guildies about it? Once information is leaked it spreads like a wildfire.
    I think they might have avoided inviting people who were in clans for this very reason... clan beta was in fact a big who is not getting in the closed beta list imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    Your signature has been noted to be extraordinarily violent by several users, I agree. Please change it. =[

7000+
    Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Spinewire View Post
    I think they might have avoided inviting people who were in clans for this very reason... clan beta was in fact a big who is not getting in the closed beta list imo.
    that would be amazing, especially after how hard some guilds tried to get in.

1000+ Long term follower

I'm not saying I believe the "assumption" My experience from past games tells me that it is very strange we have not seen more leaked beta material. Personally, I'm not feeling a Dec release, but I sure would like to see it.

9000+

They could be doing anything, obviously they couldn't do anything illegal like hacking unless they were seriously paranoid. I reckon it may well just be that people for once are enjoying the game so much they don't want to risk their beta account.
    It's Lethn...if he doesn't sound pissed off then there must be a rift in the space-time continuum - Ultimo
    According to fanbois in order for there to be no problems with an MMORPG you have to imagine it isn't there, well, they say ignorance is bliss.