1000+

Default Framerate problems

I've been playing Half-Life 2 online mods lately, and my FPS is in the toilet. On full graphics Zombie Masters runs at about 20-25 FPS depending on the map detail, but Age of Chivalry with low graphics runs at a constant 9 FPS. Spore, which looks about 10x better than Half-life 2 on full graphics has a better frame rate. Warcraft 3 even has been getting some slowdown but it normally runs at 60 fps even in the big battles.

My old computer got just as many FPS, if not more, and the processor was half as powerful. I'm running a 2.2 AMD Sempron (yes, I know its ancinet, but it shouldn't be this bad). I defragment once a week at least and every time Steam tells me to. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what the problem is and how I can improve the framerate?

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    I've been playing Half-Life 2 online mods lately, and my FPS is in the toilet. On full graphics Zombie Masters runs at about 20-25 FPS depending on the map detail, but Age of Chivalry with low graphics runs at a constant 9 FPS. Spore, which looks about 10x better than Half-life 2 on full graphics has a better frame rate. Warcraft 3 even has been getting some slowdown but it normally runs at 60 fps even in the big battles.

My old computer got just as many FPS, if not more, and the processor was half as powerful. I'm running a 2.2 AMD Sempron (yes, I know its ancinet, but it shouldn't be this bad). I defragment once a week at least and every time Steam tells me to. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what the problem is and how I can improve the framerate?
    1. What's your graphics card?
    2. HL2 looks 10x better than Spore, lol.
    3. That CPU WILL slow you down in Source games. It should indeed be that bad.

2000+

sounds like you need a format or something in your pc is dead/almost dead.
    give the insides a good clean.
    format.

my advice may not be the best route of action but it wont hurt either.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    i think his main question is "why is shit that use to run fine now getting crappy fps?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah
    As soon as the OP reads this he should press the <Alt+F4> combo to restore windows to their proper setting.

A format will never hurt, when was the last time you reinstalled everything? I try to do it about every 3-6 months depending.

Quote Originally Posted by Feyrband View Post
    i think his main question is "why is shit that use to run fine now getting crappy fps?"

if it used to be fine and now is shit it could be software which a format will fix or fluff which a hoover will fix, i would do that first and if it's still fucking about then something is probabaly on its way out.
    Last edited by Spinewire; 11-18-2008 at 01:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    Your signature has been noted to be extraordinarily violent by several users, I agree. Please change it. =[

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    GeForce 6600. Old, but the processor was never even in league with it.

I don't mean graphical stylization: Spore does look better technically, takes more graphical power. Half-life is middle-end of the PS2 era, and my computer automatically sets itself at full graphics for all source based games.

2000+

also, you give us fuck all to go by apart and CPU you have =/

ah, graphics card too now? things are looking up.

imo your graphics card fan is fucked/full of dust.
    Last edited by slugy; 11-18-2008 at 01:48.

19,000+

GeForce 6600. Old, but the processor was never even in league with it.

I don't mean graphical stylization: Spore does look better technically, takes more graphical power. Half-life is middle-end of the PS2 era, and my computer automatically sets itself at full graphics for all source based games.
    HL2 did not run all that well with everything on with my 6800GT, so it definitely won't run well on High with a crappy 6600. The game probably overestimates your computer, it happens pretty often.

Lower your settings. Turn off AA and HDR / Bloom. Lower the level of shadow detail.
    Last edited by Viluin; 11-18-2008 at 01:50.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by slugy View Post
    also, you give us fuck all to go by apart and CPU you have =/

ah, graphics card too now? things are looking up.

imo your graphics card fan is fucked/full of dust.
    Well, let's see. Its OS is Vista Home basic, 1gb ram with a second slot I've been meaning to fill, it enjoys long walks on the beach, cuddling, and mexican food.

19,000+

Well, let's see. Its OS is Vista Home basic, 1gb ram with a second slot I've been meaning to fill, it enjoys long walks on the beach, cuddling, and mexican food.
    Vista + 1GB of RAM = You're not gonna game. Let me guess, your old PC which "ran just as well" had XP on it?

Get more RAM. Wait, no, get a new computer..

1000+

Rofl, I feel like a moron. I just checked the stats of my old computer, its got a 2.2 processor and its 7 years old (at least, I got it at a discount in 2001)! Rofl. I was wondering why that PC seemed so hardcore compared to idiots buying pentium 4s that hardly met 1ghz.

The difference in RAM between them is taken up by, apparently, Vista with a whopping 534 MBs. So I have like 400 MB to use for gaming, and as I watched, it got maxed just loading a CS:S map single player. Strangely (to me), the processor was stagnant at 10% usage through this time.

Good thing I wasn't the one who bought it, haha. So I'm thinking of installing XP on this and getting another from the modern era. Good idea? And the old PC I was talking about has some graphical errors it incurred after blue screening, haven't really looked at it. But I find I love the thing all the more, it was a little trooper, better than this one ;.;