Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezrith View Post
    Lol, let's see what happened here. A non-governmental organization busted a company doing shady shit, the public is informed of said shady shit, the company loses the faith of it's customers, which causes them to lose money, which causes them to stop doing shady shit. Yep, free market in action, works like a charm.
    Yes, let's now just sit and watch this information flow out to the masses.

  2. #17
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezrith View Post
    Lol, let's see what happened here. A non-governmental organization busted a company doing shady shit, the public is informed of said shady shit, the company loses the faith of it's customers, which causes them to lose money, which causes them to stop doing shady shit. Yep, free market in action, works like a charm.
    OH the horror!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunam View Post
    Yes, let's now just sit and watch this information flow out to the masses.
    You forget that you are a minority voice also. Not many people bother to look shit up. Not many people will boher with making sure the gov't does its job.
    Last edited by Silverhandorder; 11-18-2008 at 02:47.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  3. #18
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kordoyn View Post
    Shut up, free market is bad. Vote Socialism.
    Yes cuz any government regulation is socialism.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skree View Post
    Yes cuz any government regulation is socialism.

    Skree
    Either socialism or fascism pick a or b.

    Unless you are going to try and convince me that the only regulation they will impose is to protect me from fraud.
    With the current gov't record, I'd rather no regulation at all, than even that.
    Last edited by kordoyn; 11-18-2008 at 02:57.

  5. #20
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kordoyn View Post
    Either socialism or fascism pick a or b.

    Unless you are going to try and convince me that the only regulation they will impose is to protect me from fraud.
    With the current gov't record, I'd rather no regulation at all, than even that.

    No he is trying to stay with the pure definition of socialism. I find itbetter to say big government and corporatism instead.

    Skree however all these things being done right now are done in the name of socialism. Equality for all in all areas of life is one of tenets of socialism.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  6. #21
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    No he is trying to stay with the pure definition of socialism. I find itbetter to say big government and corporatism instead.
    Corporatism with strong indications of movement towards Fascism does it for me.

    Skree however all these things being done right now are done in the name of socialism. Equality for all in all areas of life is one of tenets of socialism.
    Make your case. Exactly what things are being done to bring about "equality for all" ?

    You cannot seriously mean that giving my tax dollars to banks/financial institutions is a program for "equality for all". How's that supposed to work ?

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  7. #22
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I agree that the government has been controlling the media for a long time now. However the idea that the government should stop the government form controlling the media is not to bright. Instead the citizens should. After all do you really trust the government to go against their own best interests?

    If the citizens would get together and boycott the news media until they report the truth then the media would tell the truth because if they don't a competitor will come along, tell the truth, and get the viewership of the overall population.

    We should take care of the problem ourselves and not leave it in the hands of the government. Picket local news stations, boycott them, inform the rest of the population and convince them to join in, keep constantly on guard for untruths and so on.

    That is just my two cents worth.

  8. #23
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skree View Post
    Make your case. Exactly what things are being done to bring about "equality for all" ?

    You cannot seriously mean that giving my tax dollars to banks/financial institutions is a program for "equality for all". How's that supposed to work ?

    Skree
    I am not looking for a big argument. I never claimed that the bail out was anything but pilaging of public coffers.

    However all the bullshit like afirmative action, universal health care and progressive tax are all attempts to provide economic and social equality. From your previous posts it seems like the kind of thing you would support. I think it is immoral and un acheivable.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  9. #24
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Realh View Post
    I agree that the government has been controlling the media for a long time now.
    I would really like to know where anyone gets the idea that the government controls the media.

    Really, I'd like to hear the logic behind that. Is there any evidence for it ?

    I think there is a lot of evidence that both the media and the government serve global corporations and that is why I do not expect the government to control or do anything to the media, because they both server the same masters hand in hand as partners.

    The most I believe will happen in a case like this is the government will hold hearings, waste tax payers money, put on a big show/call a press conference and pass some meaningless legislation that does nothing.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  10. #25
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    I am not looking for a big argument.
    Me either.
    I never claimed that the bail out was anything but pilaging of public coffers.
    Good call.

    However all the bullshit like afirmative action, universal health care and progressive tax are all attempts to provide economic and social equality.
    Affirmative action - was a not a single program. So we'd have to go thru it policy by policy. Too much.

    It's been around for 45 years. What has changed recently that would lead anyone to group it with current proposals and dub it some type of march toward socialism ?

    I will say this. Most of the policies were not implemented to actually help people. So I am not in favor of those policies in general.

    Universal Health Care - is a a policy that will FORCE you to buy insurance from privately owned companies companies. FORCE you to become a customer. That is corporatism/fascism. It has nothing whatsoever to do with socialism.

    progressive tax - we have a progressive tax system now. I'm not sure what you mean. Do you know how long we have had a progressive tax system ? You might want to look it up. You might find, if you look back in history that just after WWII, if I remember right, the highest tax bracket was 93-95%. So to say that putting the taxes back to what they were when Clinton was Pres. is socialism, I find completely baffling. And you are talking about income tax, which is only half the taxes collected by the government.

    I don't support income taxes period. But that doesn't mean they are part of socialism. Far from it. They are a way for Big Business to get dollars that their hired puppets in the government give to them in various subsidies. Corporatism.

    From your previous posts it seems like the kind of thing you would support. I think it is immoral and un acheivable.
    You should read my posts more carefully. You have missed a lot somehow.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  11. #26
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Skree when I pointed thosethings out I wasnt trying to say we are somehow doing anything new to go towards that, I was just lamenting that there is no change coming from anyone in power.

    So yes I agree we have been marching towards big overbloated government for some time now. The end result will be less civil liberties and loss of wealth by those who work hard and honestly.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  12. #27
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    Skree when I pointed thosethings out I wasnt trying to say we are somehow doing anything new to go towards that, I was just lamenting that there is no change coming from anyone in power.
    That is very very understandable.

    So yes I agree we have been marching towards big overbloated government for some time now. The end result will be less civil liberties and loss of wealth by those who work hard and honestly.
    I could not agree more.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  13. #28
    6000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,650

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Skree View Post
    I think there is a lot of evidence that both the media and the government serve global corporations and that is why I do not expect the government to control or do anything to the media, because they both server the same masters hand in hand as partners.

    The most I believe will happen in a case like this is the government will hold hearings, waste tax payers money, put on a big show/call a press conference and pass some meaningless legislation that does nothing.

    Skree
    this...

    VNRs are kind of old news, imo

    hell, there were plenty done by W and spread around as if they were "news"...many instances of corporate usage, those listed in the OP are only the tip of the iceberg...

    and i tend to agree with Skree on this one, that de-regulating ownership of media (beginning during Reagan and just getting worse every year since) has had everything to do with it

    could just be me....
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

    "I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

  14. #29
    14,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Super Bonk world
    Posts
    14,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skree View Post

    Universal Health Care - is a a policy that will FORCE you to buy insurance from privately owned companies companies. FORCE you to become a customer. That is corporatism/fascism. It has nothing whatsoever to do with socialism.


    Skree
    I'm glad that's finally cleared up on these forums.

  15. #30
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    I'm glad that's finally cleared up on these forums.
    lol, yeah it's not like I havn't posted that same thing 100 times before here.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •