View Poll Results: What was ur favoirte RTS ever?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starcraft

20 31.25%
  • Warcraft

7 10.94%
  • Command and Conquere: Tibererium Sun

0 0%
  • Command and Conquere: Tiberium Wars

1 1.56%
  • Red Alert 2

4 6.25%
  • Total Anihilation

1 1.56%
  • Supreme Commander

4 6.25%
  • Dune 2

1 1.56%
  • Age of empires

10 15.63%
  • Company of Heroes

2 3.13%
  • Total War (any)

13 20.31%
  • Anno

0 0%
  • Rise of Nations

1 1.56%
  • War Lords BattleCry

0 0%
  • Any Warhammer RTS

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Best RTS Poll

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Helgeran View Post
    Yeah, listing shit to be done is silly. APM doesn't really tell you how good a game is just how hard it is to learn before the real mind games can start. I'm not really interested if I can hammer my keyboard faster than my opponent, I want to outsmart him. Sadly, you need a very good grasp of the metagame in Starcraft and a decent macro ability before you can even start using your brain. What's your APM in CoH Villuin?
    I don't keep track of my APM. Outside of combat, you're either simply preparing for combat, or you're taking enemy territory and your "APM" is low. During combat you're clicking a bazillion times per 10 seconds to keep your units alive, assuming there's a decent amount of units involved (1v1 combat usually results in a shootout until one squad retreats, 1v1 tank combat results in a battle of who can micro his tank better).
    Last edited by Viluin; 11-17-2008 at 16:52.

Normal User

I used to play Starcraft tons. I stopped though, because after a while it really just turns into a APM war. Starcraft:Broodwar is certainly the most balanced RTS ever, but the best? I dunno.

I know that the best strategy game is Go, but it's not an RTS. The stuff you learn in Go can be used in any RTS with a little tweaking. It could be argued that Go is an RTS, since it's almost always played with time constraints.

Best strategy game = Go.
    Best RTS = SC2? I dunno.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by liq3 View Post
    I used to play Starcraft tons. I stopped though, because after a while it really just turns into a APM war. Starcraft:Broodwar is certainly the most balanced RTS ever, but the best? I dunno.

I know that the best strategy game is Go, but it's not an RTS. The stuff you learn in Go can be used in any RTS with a little tweaking. It could be argued that Go is an RTS, since it's almost always played with time constraints.

Best strategy game = Go.
    Best RTS = SC2? I dunno.
    Yeah I'd like to learn go. Appearantly the inner mechanics get to complex you can't make a good AI for it. Chess is very simple by comparison since an AI is about equal to a human now.

Darkfall is going to be an FPS, First Person Sworder, which means you're going to sword the first person you meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    During a game? That's all during a single battle, lol.

When it first came out, people sucked at it. The skill level is much, much higher new. New strategies were developed, tons of patches balanced gameplay etc. Besides, you start out fighting vs. newbies until you reach a high level.
    I would hope so as the balance when i played it was pretty shitty... Does it still feel clunky?

I have no problem you you liking something else, i prefer WC3 over SC, i don't think WC3 is a better game tho, saying CoH is the best RTS game is just ridiculous however.

This poll and the fact that SC and WC3 for that matter have been played all over the world for such a retarded amount of time should be enough for most people... you are very stubbon tho.
    Last edited by Spinewire; 11-17-2008 at 16:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    Your signature has been noted to be extraordinarily violent by several users, I agree. Please change it. =[

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Spinewire View Post
    I would hope so as the balance when i played it was pretty shitty... Does it still feel clunky?

I have no problem you you liking something else, i prefer WC3 over SC, i don't think WC3 is a better game tho, saying CoH is the best RTS game is just ridiculous however.

This poll and the fact that SC and WC3 for that matter have been played all other the world for such a retarded amount of time should be enough for most people... you are very stubbon tho.
    What do you mean by clunky? The game has never felt clunky. I think it feels really smooth, the way the units are controlled. It doesn't feel as "robotic" as nearly every other RTS.

The balance is pretty good now. Wehrmacht has powerful units, US has fast and versatile units, British army has powerful stationary defenses and very powerful yet slow infantry, Panzer Elite has tons of light vehicles for early-mid game. Some abilities are unbalanced though, such as an airplane strafing run that rapes infantry like nothing you've seen before.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    What do you mean by clunky? The game has never felt clunky. I think it feels really smooth, the way the units are controlled. It doesn't feel as "robotic" as nearly every other RTS.
    Slow responses from the units. I dislike squad based RTS games since you forfeit so much control to the AI.

Darkfall is going to be an FPS, First Person Sworder, which means you're going to sword the first person you meet.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Helgeran View Post
    Slow responses from the units. I dislike squad based RTS games since you forfeit so much control to the AI.
    The AI does nothing but put itself in (very) nearby cover. You still have to move the squad to cover.

Unit responses aren't slow at all. Sometimes your infantry won't move immediately and you're like "OMG MOVE!", but that only happens when an artillery shell lands nearby and they all duck to the ground so it's kinda realistic.
    Last edited by Viluin; 11-17-2008 at 17:18.