Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    1000+ US1 Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    1,590

    Default Charity vs Forced Taxation

    I have no clue how to set up polls, or I would have done so for this. However, I'm curious what people would decide if given two choices. This is for anyone in any country.




    1. Have a system of government that allows people to make their own choices of giving money to charities, with minimal taxation by the government.



    OR


    2. Have a system of government where the government makes the choice to give money to charities for the people, and with high taxation by the government.




    Just curious about what you all think, since this appears to be what is happening around the world.

  2. #2
    6000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,650

    Cool

    fuck the middle men, imo

    your "charities" are inefficient, the only ones that come close to operating decently are religion based and they get NOT ONE FUCKING CENT of tax money, they should instead BE fucking taxed

    flawed question is flawed
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

    "I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

  3. #3
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    749

    Default

    This thread reeks of baiting.

  4. #4
    8000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    8,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    I have no clue how to set up polls, or I would have done so for this. However, I'm curious what people would decide if given two choices. This is for anyone in any country.




    1. Have a system of government that allows people to make their own choices of giving money to charities, with minimal taxation by the government.



    OR


    2. Have a system of government where the government makes the choice to give money to charities for the people, and with high taxation by the government.




    Just curious about what you all think, since this appears to be what is happening around the world.
    You are in BKB with the master of polls Suitepee how can you not know how to do polls?

    1 is the better option in my opinion because private charities that are well funded do a better job of getting people who actually need help the proper help.


    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    fuck the middle men, imo

    your "charities" are inefficient, the only ones that come close to operating decently are religion based and they get NOT ONE FUCKING CENT of tax money, they should instead BE fucking taxed

    flawed question is flawed


    I worked for a few months during a summer in highschool at a private charity that took in women who were homeless, they got them off drugs, they taught them work skills and got them jobs, and then they put them up in low cost housing that this charity had built. They accomplished all of this without dollar 1 from the federal government. The overhead costs on every dollar donated were running at 5 cents and efficiency was the grease on the wheels.

    I also worked one summer with the Lakota Sioux and saw the government dole at work, and it was not pretty.
    Last edited by Carl Ragadamn; 11-04-2008 at 05:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindorn
    The posts of Carl do not represent the views or policies of Dark Carnival!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvarkian
    Forumfall isn't the place to showcase your incredible talent at trolling. Oh, who am I kidding.

  5. #5
    6000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,650

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Ragadamn View Post
    You are in BKB with the master of polls Suitepee how can you not know how to do polls?

    1 is the better option in my opinion because private charities that are well funded do a better job of getting people who actually need help the proper help.

    I worked for a few months during a summer in highschool at a private charity that took in women who were homeless, they got them off drugs, they taught them work skills and got them jobs, and then they put them up in low cost housing that this charity had built. They accomplished all of this without dollar 1 from the federal government. The overhead costs on every dollar donated were running at 5 cents and efficiency was the grease on the wheels.

    well then, smartass...why aren;t there franchise chains of these puppies all over the country?

    i mean, they would be a complete tax deduction for all the rich folks,so they could do good instead of paying taxes....why aren't there more like this everywhere?

    hanging upon your retort...
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

    "I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

  6. #6

    Default

    Charity allows us to contribute, but still be separated from tragedy and less fortunate people. Should we pay through responsibility of what is not our fault? If help is needed somewhere I think it should be taxed to a certain point. I've always thought there should be a garbage tax for overfilling your recommended limit to promote recycling.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Depression Land
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Charity is for losers. Real men steal from the food pantry.

  8. #8
    8000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    8,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    well then, smartass...why aren;t there franchise chains of these puppies all over the country?

    i mean, they would be a complete tax deduction for all the rich folks,so they could do good instead of paying taxes....why aren't there more like this everywhere?

    hanging upon your retort...
    Because it takes a truly dedicated staff to run such a place, though they have begun to reach out with their system slowly. I personally would love to have one here in Indy, but running one is outside my skill set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindorn
    The posts of Carl do not represent the views or policies of Dark Carnival!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvarkian
    Forumfall isn't the place to showcase your incredible talent at trolling. Oh, who am I kidding.

  9. #9
    9000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dallas - 127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    fuck the middle men, imo

    your "charities" are inefficient, the only ones that come close to operating decently are religion based and they get NOT ONE FUCKING CENT of tax money, they should instead BE fucking taxed
    lol @ thinking charities are more inefficient than goverment...
    What is best in life?

    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

    -Conan

    Disclaimer: This post is not a bomb.

  10. #10
    6000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,650

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Ragadamn View Post
    Because it takes a truly dedicated staff to run such a place, though they have begun to reach out with their system slowly. I personally would love to have one here in Indy, but running one is outside my skill set.
    you are getting warmer...it's not the running of it that's so tough...it's getting a staff who will work for Nun's wages and do a longshoreman's share of work

    otherwise the results are putrid....i know, the first 4 years after i got out of the military, i was a class "c" licensed facility operator in Jersey...a few years of that will knock the Idealism right out of you
    Last edited by DocGonzo; 11-04-2008 at 06:05.
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

    "I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

  11. #11
    8000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    8,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezrith View Post
    lol @ thinking charities are more inefficient than goverment...
    I would say that any charity with operation overhead greater than 30 cents of every donated dollar, should be destroyed for being as bad at their jobs as the government.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    you are getting warmer...it's not the running of it that's so tough...it's getting a staff who will work for Nun's wages and do a longshoreman's share of work

    otherwise the results are putrid....i know, the first 4 years after i got out of the military, i was a class "c" licensed facility operator in Jersey...a few years of that will know the Idealism right out of you
    Well since it was a religious based charity they offset some of the cost with volunteers like me. Though the actual counseling staff was all paid. I think the job training was set up so that a company that provided job training could use their classrooms for free to make money but the charities participants got the training for free.
    Last edited by Carl Ragadamn; 11-04-2008 at 06:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindorn
    The posts of Carl do not represent the views or policies of Dark Carnival!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvarkian
    Forumfall isn't the place to showcase your incredible talent at trolling. Oh, who am I kidding.

  12. #12
    1000+ US1 Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    well then, smartass...why aren;t there franchise chains of these puppies all over the country?

    i mean, they would be a complete tax deduction for all the rich folks,so they could do good instead of paying taxes....why aren't there more like this everywhere?

    hanging upon your retort...
    WTF? did your mama drop you on your head. Are you that lost in your delusions? If you have tin-foil, you may want to put some on.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting charity does not work in America? Please tell me I'm wrong. I hate linking shit, I'm so damn lazy, but your forcing me to work! lol.


    "Are Americans more or less charitable than citizens of other countries?
    A. No developed country approaches American giving. For example, in 1995 (the most recent year for which data are available), Americans gave, per capita, three and a half times as much to causes and charities as the French, seven times as much as the Germans, and 14 times as much as the Italians. Similarly, in 1998, Americans were 15 percent more likely to volunteer their time than the Dutch, 21 percent more likely than the Swiss, and 32 percent more likely than the Germans. These differences are not attributable to demographic characteristics such as education, income, age, sex, or marital status. On the contrary, if we look at two people who are identical in all these ways except that one is European and the other American, the probability is still far lower that the European will volunteer than the American."

    I got that from here:
    http://www.american.com/archive/2008...tion-of-givers


    Americans are pretty damn charitable, and I'm sure I might even find a link that breaks it down to the different types of charity. That way you can see if its religious or other.

  13. #13
    6000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,650

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Ragadamn View Post
    I would say that any charity with operation overhead greater than 30 cents of every donated dollar, should be destroyed for being as bad at their jobs as the government.



    Well since it was a religious based charitythey offset some of the cost with volunteers like me. Though the actual counseling staff was all paid. I think the job training was set up so that a company that provided job training could use their classrooms for free to make money but the charities participants got the training for free.
    bolded for effect...

    NOT ONE FUCKING PENNY TO ANY CHURCH FROM TAXES...

    simple enough?

    read above Stax...and then look again

    no i am not syaing charities are not well intentioned...i AM saying most are either scams to pay their "administrators" or run by religious insitutions

    if the latter, see above
    Last edited by DocGonzo; 11-04-2008 at 06:12.
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

    "I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

  14. #14
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    bolded for effect...

    NOT ONE FUCKING PENNY TO ANY CHURCH FROM TAXES...

    simple enough?

    read above Stax...and then look again

    no i am not syaing charities are not well intentioned...i AM saying most are either scams to pay their "administrators" or run by religious insitutions

    if the latter, see above
    Want to back that up?
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  15. #15
    4000+
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Your mama
    Posts
    4,795

    Default

    Who the hell is going to make a charity to build roads? Schools? Bridges?

    The only reason private charities do so well is because theres not 10 million of them.

    Take out the government and you have a ton of charities pop up, that will be poorly funded due to

    1. People being greedy, don't forget charities are optional. I sure as hell wouldn't donate to any. I don't expect poor or lower middle class people to either, which means there is a hell of a lot less money in the pot.

    2. Underfunding, charities don't share income or money, so there will be many, many underfunded charities to build bridges, etc.....and underfunded construction makes me puke.

    3. Mass corruption and severe inefficiency. What do you think those giant charities are compsoed of? Corruption free diehard christians? No, they are made up of human beings, just like the government. With the underfunding the smaller charities will die out or get eaten up, making giant charities, which just like the government, will run inefficient and slow.

    4. The cost of skilled engineers and workers, don't forget that most charities are based off of good will and free work and mostly garbage work......I wouldn't step foot in a building built by people doing it for free and I sure as hell don't see how charities are going to pay those paychecks.

    Charities are NOT a business, they do NOT sign contracts, and have no obligations.

    Regardless, its a lose lose, but I would prefer our craptastic government over charities, because I KNOW they are getting funded.
    Last edited by SSguy; 11-04-2008 at 06:20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •