Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vanguard: level cap increase in the works

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/po...topic_id=41034

of dear, oh dear...

VG is a decent PvE game if you ask me, but they really should be taking it to different directions instead of the WoW approach...

Quote Originally Posted by Galadourn View Post
    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/po...topic_id=41034

of dear, oh dear...

VG is a decent PvE game if you ask me, but they really should be taking it to different directions instead of the WoW approach...
    lmao yeah

I thought it was gonna be like a third person fps before it came out

its just a wow clone

6000+

I think you can pretty much put a fork in Vanguard.

A game that once had great promise...alas it became a minon of SOE.
    <a href=http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif target=_blank>http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif</a>

Forumfall: Flames we can believe in...

4000+

I loved how people were declaring it the "WoW Killer" they'd all been waiting for. My lord was it anything but that!

What a steaming pile of crap that game has become!

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSLicer View Post
    I loved how people were declaring it the "WoW Killer" they'd all been waiting for. My lord was it anything but that!

What a steaming pile of crap that game has become!
    Every game is the "WoW Killer" yet it recently hit 11 million subscribers. Fuck, I would start designating games as "Won't be killed by WoW".

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

4000+

I suspect the only game that will "kill" WoW is whatever MMORPG Blizzard makes next.

And by "kill" I mean "diminish", as I'm sure there will still be a couple million die-hards who stick with WoW, which is still 20 times+ the subscribers for most other mmorpgs.

1000+

What's the level cap now? 500? How exciting, a grind game adds more grind.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSLicer View Post
    I suspect the only game that will "kill" WoW is whatever MMORPG Blizzard makes next.

And by "kill" I mean "diminish", as I'm sure there will still be a couple million die-hards who stick with WoW, which is still 20 times+ the subscribers for most other mmorpgs.
    Yea, WoW will probably continue to have the most subscribers of any MMO for a long time, any game that could compete with it would have to be in development for quite a long time, and would probably need to be built on a known series, rather than making a completely new story for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Yea, WoW will probably continue to have the most subscribers of any MMO for a long time, any game that could compete with it would have to be in development for quite a long time, and would probably need to be built on a known series, rather than making a completely new story for the game.
    Another MMO cat kill WoW. Only WoW can. WoW has enough fanbois (you get that with 11 million subs) who will stick with it no matter what. They like what WoW offers, and there wont be any MMOs coming that will do what WoW does, but better.
    And besides, why give up your lvl 80 uberleet char?

So unless WoW releases some patch that kills it (add full loot, make raids actually challenging etc..) I expect it to be around for another 10 years.

IRC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by _DeathWish_ View Post
    lmao yeah

I thought it was gonna be like a third person fps before it came out

its just a wow clone
    Third person FPS? Why the hell would you ever think that, thats not even remotely what it was about.

As for this news, I have been ever so slowly leveling my way through Vanguard, it has absolutely fantastic content, great attention to detail. Some of the random dungeons you run to level up at level 16 feel like epic dungeons in other games. Leveling is actually fun.

However, they are doing exactly what I feared they would do, follow their big brother EQ too closely. This game as always tried to recreate the EQ experience, with the grinds and the challenge, the massive seamless world, no instances, and it did that very well. But now its doing the same fail that EQ, and by copy, WoW, have done. You raid for weeks to get gear that you NEED before you can tackle the next raid content. Now that they're raising the level cap, that gear is now pointless.

I can finally cancel my Vanguard account now. It was one of the last oldschool games left. Now its down to Darkfall.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    What's the level cap now? 500? How exciting, a grind game adds more grind.

Just shows you've never actually played the game. Far from a "grind game". Upon further reading, no one even really knows if they are raising the level cap, all speculation right now.
    Last edited by Signus; 11-02-2008 at 21:52.

2000+

Vanguard had some really fun PvP at times.

But the PvP balance leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a lot of fun tanking as a DK in that game. The PVE was a big step up from WoW imo.

Alas, it doesn't make it any good. I just enjoy the free month SOE gives me every christmas to let Vets test out the new stuff.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Signus View Post
    Just shows you've never actually played the game. Far from a "grind game". Upon further reading, no one even really knows if they are raising the level cap, all speculation right now.
    Nope, but I've read plenty of posts by loyal fans telling people to suck it up because the endless PvE is the thing they've wanted since EQ. Read the Wikipedia article. It pretty much says the game failed because its a grind game. Well, other than having a high system req, mediocre graphics, and tons of lag. (edit: I realize I read a lot of material about vanguard, Wikipedia doesn't say much about grind, but I've read other game websites, posts, and reviews that complain about grind.)

So, whats it like? When I was playing GW about 2 years ago, everyone was hyping that Vanguard was the big PvP title. Till SOE took it over. I mean, an SOE game that's not about grind? They crashed all the ones that aren't.
    Last edited by AngusFinch; 11-02-2008 at 22:11.

IRC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFinch View Post
    Nope, but I've read plenty of posts by loyal fans telling people to suck it up because the endless PvE is the thing they've wanted since EQ. Read the Wikipedia article. It pretty much says the game failed because its a grind game. Well, other than having a high system req, mediocre graphics, and tons of lag. (edit: I realize I read a lot of material about vanguard, Wikipedia doesn't say much about grind, but I've read other game websites, posts, and reviews that complain about grind.)

So, whats it like? When I was playing GW about 2 years ago, everyone was hyping that Vanguard was the big PvP title. Till SOE took it over. I mean, an SOE game that's not about grind? They crashed all the ones that aren't.
    Big PvP title? Just goes to show you what type of people play Guild Wars... Vanguard had a PvP system in the works that sounded like quite a bit of fun, but that was nowhere near the main focus of the game. Sadly, that PvP system never made it to launch after SOE got hold of them and forced them out 6 months earlier than they wanted, right on the tail of the first WoW expansion. But that couldn't have had anything to do with the "failure" of the game, nah it was the graphics.

The graphics are probably the second best, if not the best graphics on the MMO market right now. http://www.vgwalkthroughs.com/page/guides/4

High system req- very true
    Bugs - Millions (though I only ran into 3, I was a lucky one)

Endless PvE- considering its a PvE game, the spiritual successor to EQ, thats exactly what the fans wanted. Good PvE doesn't have to be a grind. I've even turned my XP off in Vanguard a few times, so that I could explore some of the places and do the content. Its that worthwhile, and theres a LOT of it.

Add that with no instances, no zoning at all (not even into dungeons) and several innovative features, the game is on top of the PvE market right now. However, as many have pointed out (and whats kept me away from it) is that its just a shadow of what it could have been had the launch gone better. And so, I don't play it. I usually hate games with no PvE, and can't stand playing them, because it feels like theres no point to doing all this PvE stuff if I can't use it to fight people. That being said, the quality of Vanguard's PvE held my longer than any MMO has since Dark Age of Camelot. Now imagine if it had gotten that PvP system in...

TL;DR People hyping Vanguard as a "PvP game" are complete morons.
    And for the record, its not an "SOE game" It wasn't made by them or touched by them until very recently.
    It was made by SIGIL, not SOE, SIGIL.

As for the game failing... not quite. Since the crash of AoC, Vanguard has been getting more subs by the week. Its in a very healthy place.

8000+

I thought Vanguard had crawled up and died a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viranth View Post
    Welcome to OT, your 15 minutes are up.

Vanguard + AoC - bugs = ownage
    Hear the heartbeat of the world: http://zfacts.com/p/461.html