Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Default Computer Building Questions

Alright, so I use a Mac for professional reasons, and use bootcamp to play games on it from time to time. I'm going to be saving up for a hardcore PC gaming rig, and have been doing some research. I have a few questions however.

1. In terms of cooling, what is probably the best way to go? (heatsink/water) it seems kind of risky to have tubes of liquid flowing throughout the system.

2. My plan is to run full settings on high quality games at 2560x1650 resolution. I was considering the nVidia GTX series. Would this be enough?

3. I'm considering going AMD just because of the cost mainly. Not sure if this is a wise decision so advise on that if you wish. But my main question is there seems to be numerous motherboards out there. What are some of the good brands to go with?

4. Recommended power supply brand and voltage for high-end gaming?

Any other info would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have any good internet references on building computers? Most of the ones I've googled are way out of date.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Might go with this full size tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129043
    Last edited by nathanpinard; 10-25-2008 at 16:14.

19,000+

1. Air should be good enough.

2. I'd recommend a Radeon HD4870X2 for that resolution. It'll perform a lot better than a single GTX 280, for only $50-100 extra. The only thing that can best it at that resolution is a GTX 280 SLI rig, but that's a lot of money to spend.

3. A Phenom 9950 Black Edition 125w will work great for any game, especially when overclocked. Overclocking can be done easily by simply adjusting the CPU multiplier, as opposed to increasing the HT speed and worrying about your RAM. Mind you, the Intel Q6600 overclocked to the max on air will perform better than an overclocked Phenom 9950 BE, but it requires an overclockable motherboard (Read: More expensive). It's up to you. You can also wait for both Intel and AMD's new processors that will arrive before the end of the year, they may be worth it. At the very least, old CPUs will drop in price.

4. PC Power & Cooling is the best you can get. Their 750w PSU is amazing.
    Last edited by Viluin; 10-25-2008 at 16:24.

1. Air should be good enough.
    Ok. But I should mention it already get to around 80 degrees in this room alone due to the 2 other computers and equipment running. Even hotter during the summer.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by nathanpinard View Post
    Ok. But I should mention it already get to around 80 degrees in this room alone due to the 2 other computers and equipment running. Even hotter during the summer.
    Well you won't get sub-ambient temperatures with water either. A good, large heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan will work just fine really. You might be able to OC a little higher with watercooling, but it is by no means necessary.

3000+

Air cooling : IFX14 with 2 fans on it will refresh your proco easily.
    HD4870 X2 FTW. Maybe 2 in crossfire if it's possible and have good result.
    Antec, Corsair, PC Power and cooling or Seasonic PSU : 700W or more.
    Intel E8600. Asus or Gigabyte MB (depends on what type of BIOS you like).

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    I stumble home drunk at 4am frequently, my sprinklers come on at 4:30 and scare the shit out of me when I'm trying to find my keys.

I'm getting over 500 bucks on the graphics card suggested (4870HDX2) on newegg. That about the right price or is there a different site?

Also the E8600 is a bit pricey.

I'll have to reprice things and see where my income allows. I know I want a decent heavy duty case with room for expansion. I might even buy the parts in pieces. Have no idea yet.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:

IFX14 with 2 fans on it
    I can't find this on Newegg.com.
    Last edited by nathanpinard; 10-25-2008 at 17:54.

3000+

This one : http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...er_ifx-14.html
    If the 8600 is too pricey, you can get a 8500 or 8400. A good 8500 batch overclocks better than an average 8600 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    I stumble home drunk at 4am frequently, my sprinklers come on at 4:30 and scare the shit out of me when I'm trying to find my keys.

19,000+

I wouldn't write off quad-core processors. Remember 2-3 years ago, when people said a high clocked single core CPU was better for gaming than a lower clocked dual-core CPU? Well guess what, those people are fucked now, nearly all recent games require dual-core processors to run at high settings. A single core CPU just can't handle physics, AI etc all at once anymore. Meanwhile, the early dual-core processors can game pretty well even now.

I'd imagine history will repeat itself with dual-core vs. quad-core CPUs. More cores = more staying power even if the clock speeds are lower. It's not like you'll ever notice the advantage of a higher-clocked dual-core anyway, most quads have way more than enough power to game.
    Last edited by Viluin; 10-25-2008 at 19:21.

Ok, changing the build a bit for a completely different purpose:

THIS IS NOT A BUILD FOR A GAMING COMPUTER. It is a build for a slave computer for my studio setup. It will be streaming samples through the network via a 3rd party program (for those that might know, I"m streaming VSL samples). Those samples will take about 1.6gigs of RAM. They will be streamed probably from a Raid 0 setup for maximum throughput.

Here's what I came up with:

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM (this should be enough to process the samples)

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (cheap case with 120mm fan)

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (I will buy two of these)

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

LOGISYS Computer PS350MA 350W MicroATX Power Supply - Retail

Windows XP 64-bit simply because it uses less memory.

---- Everything totals just under 500 or so (except the OS)

The only thing I'm missing is a heatsink and fan. It needs to be somewhat effective but low-profile since this is a Micro-ATX mid tower system.

There will be no graphics card in this system. It will run with the onboard MB graphics, and only for a short while (access will be through VNC)

Just wondering if I'm missing anything, or something isn't compatible. I'm a bit of a noob at this, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined to do it with the correct research. After building this, then I'll work on the gaming rig (need to improve work situation first)
    Last edited by nathanpinard; 10-25-2008 at 19:32.

1000+

Get a board with 4 PCIE Slots and put in 4x 4870x2's imo.

Yeah no. That's overkill even with 2560 res at full settings. Not to mention expensive.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Idura View Post
    Only up to 4 GPUs are supported, not 8.

2000+

Also, this might help you.
    http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php
    Basically it tells you what kind of PSU you are going to need at the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    I wouldn't write off quad-core processors. Remember 2-3 years ago, when people said a high clocked single core CPU was better for gaming than a lower clocked dual-core CPU? Well guess what, those people are fucked now, nearly all recent games require dual-core processors to run at high settings. A single core CPU just can't handle physics, AI etc all at once anymore. Meanwhile, the early dual-core processors can game pretty well even now.

I'd imagine history will repeat itself with dual-core vs. quad-core CPUs. More cores = more staying power even if the clock speeds are lower. It's not like you'll ever notice the advantage of a higher-clocked dual-core anyway, most quads have way more than enough power to game.
    This.

For once I'll straight up agree with Villuin.

Bashing quads is comparable to bashing electric cars.

Whether you like it or not, it's the future.

Edit:

Only up to 4 GPUs are supported, not 8.
    And finding a board that does full x16 in four slots simultaneously will give you problems too.

Most boards don't have true multi-gpu scaling.

Like if you put two 4870s on a P45 they will both run in x8, where a single one would run in x16.
    Last edited by Mippoose; 10-26-2008 at 02:52.

4000+

Well you won't get sub-ambient temperatures with water either. A good, large heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan will work just fine really. You might be able to OC a little higher with watercooling, but it is by no means necessary.
    I'm gonna agree here and go a bit farther. Don't fuck with water cooling. I know multiple people who got interested in doing this, and more than one of them managed to fuck up. It's not a good system to use unless you're absolutely insane about it.

Gotta say Viluin, you're making a lot of sense here. I've heard a lot of idiots bashing on quad cores and I always just shake my head, I'm using an OC'ed one and it's basically as good as a decent single or dual-core where quad-cores don't work. However, quad-cores in more and more cases now are functioning better than single or duals.

Anyways, while Viluin is basically suggesting everything I would in most cases, I'd still advise you to go with nVidia and Intel instead if you're sincere about having a real hardcore gaming rig. Why? Because when I go through the effort of building a PC I go straight for the best, and I'll have been saving for a while so I can just ignore the price, beyond shopping for good deals on what I want.

If price is a consideration more than having the best possible, I'd agree with him though.