Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: RAM issue

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by Xelos View Post
    No, you were wrong in pretty much every post in this thread. First, the theoretical max available RAM for a 32-bit OS is around 3.8 GB (with 128 MB video card and nothing else). Google it, there's hundreds of examples of such configurations.

"no, a 32 bit OS can't even adress 4gbs or memory, the strings will be too long"

This is completely wrong, the strings will not be too long, they're exactly that long (4,294,967,296 = 4 GB). The string would be too long for anything above 4 GB, and the reason the OS can't address the full 4 GB is completely different.

"and video card memory doesn't matter"

Yes it does, and the article linked explains exactly that. And this is why the OP has so little RAM left.

32-bit OS can address 4 GB of memory, including the memory of all PCI cards and other OS reserved memory, exactly what Villuin said. This usually leaves various amounts of available system RAM, usually 3.2-3.8, or much less in the OPs case, who has at least 1 GB of VRAM + a 64 MB sound card. Is that clear now?

Boy, do I feel like the guy in your sig now
    or you could have left it at what I said in the previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by NapalmEnema View Post
    I'll also find out where SSGuy is and blow him. Shaft, balls, swallow the gravy.

Banned

No, you were wrong in pretty much every post in this thread. First, the theoretical max available RAM for a 32-bit OS is around 3.8 GB (with 128 MB video card and nothing else). Google it, there's hundreds of examples of such configurations.

"no, a 32 bit OS can't even adress 4gbs or memory, the strings will be too long"

This is completely wrong, the strings will not be too long, they're exactly that long (4,294,967,296 = 4 GB). The string would be too long for anything above 4 GB, and the reason the OS can't address the full 4 GB is completely different.

"and video card memory doesn't matter"

Yes it does, and the article linked explains exactly that. And this is why the OP has so little RAM left.

32-bit OS can address 4 GB of memory, including the memory of all PCI cards and other OS reserved memory, exactly what Villuin said. This usually leaves various amounts of available system RAM, usually 3.2-3.8, or much less in the OPs case, who has at least 1 GB of VRAM + a 64 MB sound card. Is that clear now?

I went from 256 video memory to 800, no difference, also, you can't get 4gb on a 32 os machine. if so, printscreen please

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mo0rbid View Post
    I went from 256 video memory to 800, no difference, also, you can't get 4gb on a 32 os machine. if so, printscreen please
    Way to completely not understand anything.

Banned

Way to completely not understand anything.
    prove it then

6000+

prove it then
    I ALREADY DID!

quoted from a previous post of mine.

a 32 bit operating system can only address 2^32 of ram.

which turns out to be....

4294967296 bytes.

so that 4.3 Gb of TOTAL system memory.

but there is alot of other stuff that takes up space.
    I'll also find out where SSGuy is and blow him. Shaft, balls, swallow the gravy.

Banned

prove it then
    What do I have to prove? That you don't understand English? I said 4 GB is the max addressable memory and 3.8 GB is around the maximum of available RAM with an old video card, and you go with your "you can't have 4 GB" like a retard.

6000+

my god, am I on fucking ignore here.

4000+

I don't think this is quite correct.

The PCI cards are what is called "memory mapped" which simply means the processor addresses them in the same way, and in the same address space, as the memory itself.

So what is taken out of your actually RAM address space is not the memory on your PCI cards, but the address range of the PCI cards. Like, you aren't DMAing to the memory on the PCI cards (necessarily, and I am fairly certain this is true with GPUs), you are communicating with the cards and, in essence, telling them what to do with the memory, not putting information into and out of the memory yourself.

So the amount of MB memory does not change with the amount of memory on videocard.

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by jonyak View Post
    I ALREADY DID!

quoted from a previous post of mine.

a 32 bit operating system can only address 2^32 of ram.

which turns out to be....

4294967296 bytes.

so that 4.3 Gb of TOTAL system memory.

but there is alot of other stuff that takes up space.
    From a computer standpoint, that 4294967296 bytes is only 4GB. Like, 2 ^ 30 is = 1G. So, 2^32 (2^30 * 2^2) is 4 G.

From a marketing point a view, they will often report it as 4.3G tho, which is dishonest, IMO.

Banned

What do I have to prove? That you don't understand English? I said 4 GB is the max addressable memory and 3.8 GB is around the maximum of available RAM with an old video card, and you go with your "you can't have 4 GB" like a retard.
    prove it, really

6000+

prove it, really
    been done a million times dipshit.

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by holychicken View Post
    From a computer standpoint, that 4294967296 bytes is only 4GB. Like, 2 ^ 30 is = 1G. So, 2^32 (2^30 * 2^2) is 4 G.

From a marketing point a view, they will often report it as 4.3G tho, which is dishonest, IMO.
    I know in the computer world they call it 4 gigs...

but I was only dealing with hard numbers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by holychicken View Post
    I don't think this is quite correct.

The PCI cards are what is called "memory mapped" which simply means the processor addresses them in the same way, and in the same address space, as the memory itself.

So what is taken out of your actually RAM address space is not the memory on your PCI cards, but the address range of the PCI cards. Like, you aren't DMAing to the memory on the PCI cards (necessarily, and I am fairly certain this is true with GPUs), you are communicating with the cards and, in essence, telling them what to do with the memory, not putting information into and out of the memory yourself.

So the amount of MB memory does not change with the amount of memory on videocard.
    I wasn't saying that PCI cards use system RAM, but the memory addressing space that is limited by 32-bits.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "MB memory" but the final available memory can, indeed, change: http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-que...windows-vista/
    Last edited by Xelos; 10-16-2008 at 16:50.

4000+

Of course the VRAM doesn't use RAM, but the memory addressing space.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "MB memory" but the available memory can, indeed, change: http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-que...windows-vista/
    Sorry, mother board ram. . .I guess I should just refer to it as system RAM.

But I stand correct, thanks for the link.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonyak View Post
    been done a million times dipshit.
    I'm talking about ram http://www.denningarumsgard.nu/bilde...lder/Bagge.jpg , I have no idea what you're ranting on about