Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    135

    Default Getting a good laptop that is hopefully good for gaming...

    I'll be going to college soon, and will need to be getting a laptop. I wanted to get a Mac, but I need one that's compatible for gaming. I've been looking at the Toshiba Qosmio F55-Q504 ($1,400). Here's some of the specs:
    Processor:
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7350
    Memory:
    4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
    Hard Drive:
    320GB HDD (5400rpm) (lol, I would never need that much)
    Optical Drive:
    DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive
    Wireless:
    Intel® Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN (802.11a/g/n)
    Bluetooth® version 2.1 plus Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
    Extras:
    512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9700M GTS*
    harman/kardon® speakers with Subwoofer
    REGZA LINK™ (HDMI-CEC) for 1080p support

    Looks pretty good. Much better compared to the Dell XPS. Anybody else have a laptop they like? I don't want to spend more than $1,500.

    Edit: The downside is it weighs 8.5 pounds, lol.
    Last edited by Freefall; 10-06-2008 at 01:32.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/Alex255/Freefallcopy.gif
    "No way, no how, no WoW" - Hillary Clinton

  2. #2

    Default

    tbh, you shouldn't bother to get a gaming laptop. Get a solid laptop that can run basic games (things like starcraft, not things like UT3) and that definitely won't crash, and get yourself a nice gaming desktop. You'll save yourself an assload and you actually will have a better machine to boot. Laptops just aren't really built for any high end gaming just yet.

    Mine does all of the above and costed me $580. I probably could've knocked it down further if I'd wanted to but I didn't think it would really be worthwhile.

    And yes it's good to avoid 5400 rpm HDs if you can, although mine is 5400 rpm.

    All this said, that'll run quite a lot of things.
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 10-06-2008 at 01:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

  3. #3
    19,000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    19,392

    Default

    5400rpm HD?

  4. #4

    Default

    Laptops are generally bad for gaming because a desktop does everything better, cheaper and can be upgraded easier.

  5. #5
    1000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Uni. of Maine
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    I wanted to get a Mac, but I need one that's compatible for gaming.
    I'm horribly offended. The Macintosh can game. Either play games on OS X, or Bootcamp it with Windows Vista or XP. I do. I have a Macbook Pro.

    Macbook Pro buddy. You will not regret it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    I don't want to spend more than $1,500
    Then don't get a laptop to game. Laptops are small and compact for a MUCH higher price point. If you're not going to pay for it, don't waste your money.
    Last edited by Shane; 10-06-2008 at 01:39.
    Good to see they're fixing the timesink. When will be see guild colors and dyes as promised?

  6. #6
    19,000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    19,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I'm horribly offended. Mac's can game. Either play games on OS X, or Bootcamp it with Windows Vista or XP. I do. I have a Macbook Pro.

    Macbook Pro buddy. You will not regret it.


    Then don't get a laptop to game.
    Mac, you won't regret it. Except for the 99 cases where you will.

  7. #7
    1000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Uni. of Maine
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    Mac, you won't regret it. Except for the 99 cases where you will.
    Name one, and DON'T say "it has a 1-button mouse" OR "you can't right click" or "it costs more".

    You can, and when compared, it doesn't.
    Good to see they're fixing the timesink. When will be see guild colors and dyes as promised?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    Mac, you won't regret it. Except for the 99 cases where you will.
    At least the failure computer will force you to go outside and get a social life, so you can be part of the "Cool Mac" image.

  9. #9
    19,000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    19,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Name one, and DON'T say "it has a 1-button mouse" OR "you can't right click" or "it costs more".

    You can, and when compared, it doesn't.
    It costs more for lesser hardware, it's hard to upgrade, and you're limited to Intel processors so your mid-range options are not as good as a PC's.

    And let's not forget the fact that there's no reason for a gamer to buy a Mac, ever. Or anyone for that matter.

  10. #10
    1000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Uni. of Maine
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    It costs more for lesser hardware, it's hard to upgrade, and you're limited to Intel processors so your mid-range options are not as good as a PC's.

    And let's not forget the fact that there's no reason for a gamer to buy a Mac, ever. Or anyone for that matter.
    For 10,000+ posts, you sure troll a lot.

    The weakness to the Macintosh by far is its upgrade cycles. Steve doesn't upgrade the Mac hardware very often and thats a problem. When it is upgraded, however, you find that, for the hardware, the Mac meets or beats the PC standard at that price.

    It's easy to upgrade. In fact, I took my Macbook Pro apart in 4 minutes to change the hard drive. A couple screws and the top pops right off. 90 GB to 320 GB in about 10 minutes total (putting it back on was a little more of a poker).

    RAM takes 30 seconds. Pop off the battery, unscrew the bottom sleeve, pop the ram in, all done.

    Anything else other than those two you wouldn't do in a laptop.

    And you're limited to Intel processors. I didn't know that was a problem, though I do like AMD more.

    And yes, "Mid-range" is worthless, AKA not a gamer machine, so your point is void.

    And the rest is trolling. You done?
    Good to see they're fixing the timesink. When will be see guild colors and dyes as promised?

  11. #11
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    135

    Default

    [QUOTE]tbh, you shouldn't bother to get a gaming laptop. Get a solid laptop that can run basic games (things like starcraft, not things like UT3) and that definitely won't crash, and get yourself a nice gaming desktop. You'll save yourself an assload and you actually will have a better machine to boot. Laptops just aren't really built for any high end gaming just yet.

    Mine does all of the above and costed me $580. I probably could've knocked it down further if I'd wanted to but I didn't think it would really be worthwhile.[quote]
    Hmm... interesting, I never really thought about doing it. But if I did, a low end laptop = $550 + nice gaming desktop $550 = $1,100, which is about what I'm spending, and it might be more convenient if I have everything on one machine.

    And yes it's good to avoid 5400 rpm HDs if you can, although mine is 5400 rpm.
    Honestly, I don't know what that means. Something to do with battery life?

    Laptops are generally bad for gaming because a desktop does everything better, cheaper and can be upgraded easier.
    Yeah, I know, but I need a laptop for college.
    Last edited by Freefall; 10-06-2008 at 02:01.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/Alex255/Freefallcopy.gif
    "No way, no how, no WoW" - Hillary Clinton

  12. #12
    19,000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    19,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    For 10,000+ posts, you sure troll a lot.

    The weakness to the Macintosh by far is its upgrade cycles. Steve doesn't upgrade the Mac hardware very often and thats a problem. When it is upgraded, however, you find that, for the hardware, the Mac meets or beats the PC standard at that price.
    Okay, first of all who the FUCK is Steve and why should I care?

    It's easy to upgrade. In fact, I took my Macbook Pro apart in 4 minutes to change the hard drive. A couple screws and the top pops right off. 90 GB to 320 GB in about 10 minutes total (putting it back on was a little more of a poker).

    RAM takes 30 seconds. Pop off the battery, unscrew the bottom sleeve, pop the ram in, all done.

    Anything else other than those two you wouldn't do in a laptop.

    And you're limited to Intel processors. I didn't know that was a problem, though I do like AMD more.
    Grats, you changed a hard-drive and some RAM. I wasn't just talking about Macbooks btw.

    And yes, "Mid-range" is worthless, AKA not a gamer machine, so your point is void.

    And the rest is trolling. You done?
    Oh really now? because you can build a killer mid-range gaming PC that will run everything but Crysis on max for $600. What about Macs huh?
    Last edited by Viluin; 10-06-2008 at 01:55.

  13. #13
    1000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Uni. of Maine
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    Yeah, I know, but I need a laptop for college.
    When does college start? That will distinguish the time frame and if you should even buy now.
    Good to see they're fixing the timesink. When will be see guild colors and dyes as promised?

  14. #14
    1000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Uni. of Maine
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    Okay, first of all who the FUCK is Steve and why should I care?



    Grats, you changed a hard-drive and some RAM. I wasn't just talking about Macbooks btw.



    Oh really now? because you can build a killer mid-range gaming PC that will run everything but Crysis on max for $600-700. What about Macs huh?
    He's talking about laptops, first off. Get on Topic.

    Steve. Steve Jobs. CEO. Apple. Oh wait, you don't give a shit.

    Edit: I wouldn't buy a desktop from ANY hardware distributor anyway. Pre-built desktop PCs are a joke.
    Last edited by Shane; 10-06-2008 at 01:57.
    Good to see they're fixing the timesink. When will be see guild colors and dyes as promised?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffington View Post
    Laptops are generally bad for gaming because a desktop does everything better, cheaper and can be upgraded easier.
    this is true, lol my little brother saw on yahoo answers that supposedly laptops were made for gaming and gamers only got desktops because they are big, he thinks the purpose that laptops were created was for gaming. it was pretty dam funny arguing with him

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •