Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Failing comes naturaly to the yanks.
    So, when you say yanks, I assume you mean Northerners, and when you say Northerners I assume you mean Democrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

    I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

  2. #17
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    I laughed at this. So many people that got buttprobed and still defend their way of life.
    The stupidity that the rich have a safety net and the poor doesnt.

  3. #18
    7000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Locash
    Posts
    7,385

    Default

    That is diseconomies of scale for you. Higher ups add no real value to the company, generally speaking, but suck out a lot of pay. Unfortunately, workers require supervision.


    "Everytime you PK a newb, a breakdancer shitkicks a baby."-Goty

  4. #19
    4000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Odessa
    Posts
    4,433

    Default

    Frankly, think nobody should make more than a million a year in salary/wages including bonuses. Anything more than that is taxed 100%.

    I'm a capitalist, but why are we paying mere employees so much?
    Beta Beta Mahirim Jihad
    Without freedom to fail, freedom to succeed is meaningless.


  5. #20
    4000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Strong Island
    Posts
    4,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holychicken View Post
    Yup, they failed their way all the way to the most country in the world. GG.
    Why hasn't anyone called me stupid yet? That post was just absolutely terrible.

  6. #21
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor View Post
    Frankly, think nobody should make more than a million a year in salary/wages including bonuses. Anything more than that is taxed 100%.

    I'm a capitalist, but why are we paying mere employees so much?
    Because ppl let them. People do not protest with strikes. They feed on the workers to do their job so they can get rich.
    And I am sure if there were any big strikes the government is there to mediate so they dont lose so much taxes. Fascism!

  7. #22
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    657

    Default The intersection of demand and supply

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    What part of this do you not get? For every penny that companies pay thier employees it means they must charge that penny for their product/service (which cost us the consumer). Do you think they pull this money out of the air?
    What you initially wrote suggested that by adding money to the compensation of their employees, and thereby increasing their employment expenses, I become worse off no matter my relation to them, but what you really meant was that increasing expenses requires an increase in prices to retain a given profit margin. That is more or less true and quite elementary, but I have never patronized the services of any of the firms in question, so the compensation of their executives has no direct effect upon me. Perhaps if I were somehow obligated to buy financial services exclusively from Washington Mutual, or any other firm, I might have a reason to complain, but I am not.

    A key feature of a market is that firms take prices set by the activity of the market and cannot, unless they are a monopoly, set prices, because if their prices ascend beyond the market equilibrium price, then noöne would patronize them. The point when a firm's behavior becomes objectionable is when that firm makes foolish decisions that bring about its failure, but then everyone is compelled to bear the cost of it. viz. if the government saves it, especially if in a way that will not later reap a profit.

    In firms of exceptional value, effective chief officers can have a substantial effect, even if for no reason other than the extraordinary stakes involved. Further, there must be a zenith toward which subordinate employees wish to ascend

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    It amazes me that people can live with themselves after they've taken away $20M while those under him are now job-less. Sadly, this man will never pay for his greed, he will probably lead a life of luxury from now until he dies, so will his kids, and most likely his grandkids.
    Against greed is wantonly invoked! Unless this man ascended to his position by solely corruption or inheritance rather than by merit, I see no reason to complain other than to bemoan that I am not so accomplished as to be worth such lucrative compensation. Had I such an offer, I would hardly refuse it. If it is any consolation to your, this particular tall poppy will be cut down slightly by a rather large tax bill, especially if the compensation counted as a gift.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhig View Post
    I laughed at this. So many people that got buttprobed and still defend their way of life.
    The stupidity that the rich have a safety net and the poor doesnt.
    Not many of the phrases in this post made very good sense to me, but I don't agree. The wealthy erect their safety net from the fruits of their labors, which simply have the virtue of being more valuable than those of the poor. Many inherit their security, which is less than admirable, but I cannot honestly assert that I would refuse a large estate if one were willed to me. I'd like to think that I would, but the improbability of it makes it difficult for me to know.

    I probably shouldn't have written most, or any, of that, but I have grown very weary of the constant exaltation of the poor and castigation of the wealthy. I don't want to become deeply entangled in this, so take my future silence as you will, but wonder if adding more clamor would have been worth enough to me to be worth it.

    This sure as Hell wasn't.
    Last edited by Delthayre; 09-26-2008 at 21:34.
    Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshipped.
    ~Calvin Coolidge

  8. #23
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holychicken View Post
    Why hasn't anyone called me stupid yet? That post was just absolutely terrible.
    I thought you were drunk and didnt want to upset you.
    Are you drunk?

  9. #24
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    Not many of the phrases in this post made very good sense to me, but I don't agree. The wealthy erect their safety net from the fruits of their labors, which simply have the virtue of being more valuable than those of the poor. Many inherit their security, which is less than admirable, but I cannot honestly assert that I would refuse a large estate if one were willed to me. I'd like to think that I would, but the improbability of it makes it difficult for me to know.
    I could understand that someone get very rich by building a company with his/her own hands.
    Having rich people moving from one company to another and get so ridiculous amounts of money for doing very little with a high risk and the same time playing with the common workers, jobs. That is stupid.

    The first is capitalism for me, the second is not.

  10. #25
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wedged in a Midget
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delthayre View Post
    What you initially wrote suggested that by adding money to the compensation of their employees, and thereby increasing their employment expenses, I become worse off no matter my relation to them, but what you really meant was that increasing expenses requires an increase in prices to retain a given profit margin. That is more or less true and quite elementary, but I have never patronized the services of any of the firms in question, so the compensation of their executives has no direct effect upon me. Perhaps if I were somehow obligated to buy financial services exclusively from Washington Mutual, or any other firm, I might have a reason to complain, but I am not.

    I understand what you are saying but everyone in the US and many around the world rely on the USs banking sector even if not directly. Thoes that are seemingly not directly linked to them are in fact linked. Nearly all products and services in the US are linked to them. The exceptions being foriegn companies and even most of them are in on it.

  11. #26
    9000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dallas - 127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    What part of this do you not get?
    The part were it has any basis in reality...

    For every penny that companies pay thier employees it means they must charge that penny for their product/service (which cost us the consumer).
    But how does this stop me from making my own wealth? You are assuming that wealth is set at fixed amount in the world with only so much of it to go around. This was proven to be patently false a couple hundred years ago.

    Do you think they pull this money out of the air?
    Depends on what industry you are in, the Fed does it all the time.
    What is best in life?

    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

    -Conan

    Disclaimer: This post is not a bomb.

  12. #27
    1000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandor View Post
    Frankly, think nobody should make more than a million a year in salary/wages including bonuses. Anything more than that is taxed 100%.

    I'm a capitalist, but why are we paying mere employees so much?
    THEN YOU ARE NOT A CAPITALIST blah blah blah ADAM SMITH blah blah blah PURE CAPITALISM blah blah blah.

    I just couldn't resist

    I tried...I really did.

    Skree
    YoUR bLOoD IS wARm AnD SAltY, YouR maRRoW yELlOw aNd SuCCulanT, YOur sOUl RiPE fOR THe HarVEsT.

    I liKE tO LEaVe fOOd sITtiNg OUt SO flIEs cAN laY eGgz in IT. i EAt tHE EGgz sO i CaN sHIt MaGgOTz fARmINg GolD.

  13. #28
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wedged in a Midget
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezrith View Post
    The part were it has any basis in reality...
    Ahh but it does. What percentage of the cost of all goods do you think are due to the overly high pay bases for the top few in these corporations? 2-5%? (just a wild guess) but that means me and you and everyone else could have that little but more in our lives. Instead we allow them to give it to persons most of which probably do not deserve it.

    But how does this stop me from making my own wealth? You are assuming that wealth is set at fixed amount in the world with only so much of it to go around. This was proven to be patently false a couple hundred years ago.
    This is true to a point and then I believe it will reach a cap based on resources. We may not be close to it yet but I also do not believe you can have endless expansion.



    Depends on what industry you are in, the Fed does it all the time.
    Well thats not exactly true. They take loans to increase funds. One reason we have a huge debt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •