Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    4000+
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,868

    Default Favorite console RPGs and why?

    I'm bored nearly to bloody death, so I'm posting this in the hope it will inspire at least a small bit of activity in this otherwise relatively dead forum (for some reason I've been up at the time of night this place is near completely silent lately)

    The premise of the thread is exactly what the topic says, what are your favorite console RPGs and why? The more esoteric and detailed whatever you say is the happier I'll be (yes, I really am that bored) and remember to use spoiler tags for anything important.

    For now at least I'll stick to only the top 2, although I could actually run down a list of ten or more.

    Xenogears: For the sheer depth of the characters, story, and world development. Also worth note is the use of religion in the game which nearly stopped it from being ported to America.
    Spoiler


    Suikoden II: The first Suikoden was good but not on this scale, in addition to all the normal reasons Suikoden is fun this particular entry in the series had easily the best protagonist and antagonist in addition to a story that appealed to me even more than average.
    Spoiler

  2. #2
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Glen Burnie MD
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Mario RPG 4TW !!!

    just because!
    TCO The Crystal Order
    www.TheCrystalOrder.org

  3. #3
    4000+
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spellmaker View Post
    Mario RPG 4TW !!!

    just because!
    Eh, it was fun for when it was released (I will say it was one of the better SNES RPGs) but I was never really fond of that era of RPGs. I spent most of my time playing other stuff back then.

  4. #4
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    582

    Default Pacman

    Pacman, Pacman, Pacman ... and a Ghost

  5. #5
    2000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Final Fantasy 5 because of the character job customisation.

    Final Fantasy 6 for the setting, (although I never completed it)

    Final Fantasy 7 for the story and music, and the materia system

    ...

    Oh, and Final Fantasy Tactics because I got sick of turn based twat-a-thons and wanted to play a top down game with a lot of character customisation.

    I started to play FF8 but the magic system pissed me off, and I just about hated everything about 9, so 10-soon to be 13 are going to go unplayed for me.

    I've definatly grown out of JRPGs now, in the sense that I hate being told who i'm playing. To quote yahtzee 'it feels like i'm just wheeling the characters between plot events'. I'm really into games that have an extensive begining character customisation or have a ridiculous span for customisation later on. That said, I still hate Oblivion =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
    it is poor people's fault for being poor

  6. #6
    6000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Former Beta Tester
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    Favorite: None.

    Why: All console RPG's suck like nothing has ever sucked before.
    <a href=http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif target=_blank>http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif</a>

    Forumfall: Flames we can believe in...

  7. #7
    2000+
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Favorite: None.

    Why: All console RPG's suck like nothing has ever sucked before.
    Thats statement is true for MMORPGs, but I think that generic RPGs are generally more laid back than other genres and therefore suit lounging on a couch with a controller over leaning forwards into a pc screen.

    Also consoles > Pcs in terms of driving games.

    However PCs win at all else however.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
    it is poor people's fault for being poor

  8. #8
    4000+
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I've definatly grown out of JRPGs now, in the sense that I hate being told who i'm playing. To quote yahtzee 'it feels like i'm just wheeling the characters between plot events'. I'm really into games that have an extensive begining character customisation or have a ridiculous span for customisation later on. That said, I still hate Oblivion =)
    Understandable, I think somewhere along the line I just hit a point where I'd played so many JRPGs that I'm just used to them. Sure, I hate the battle systems in most of them, the linearity irritates me, and I have a host of other complaints about them but I don't think I'll ever actually stop playing them. Personally I actually liked Daggerfall better than Oblivion. Oh and Yahtzee's reviews are entertaining as hell.

    I'd comment on your FF choices, but frankly they're so bland it's hard to. I've played every numbered FF except 11 and most of the ones that aren't numbered, but they just don't really stand out for the most part.

  9. #9
    6000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Former Beta Tester
    Posts
    6,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    Thats statement is true for MMORPGs, but I think that generic RPGs are generally more laid back than other genres and therefore suit lounging on a couch with a controller over leaning forwards into a pc screen.

    Also consoles > Pcs in terms of driving games.

    However PCs win at all else however.
    I made that statement simply because PC controls>console controls.

    I've played PC/Console versions of same game, PC versions win hands down...always IMO.

    Oh and the thread says nothing about driving games. Not fair to pull that one out of yer hat!
    <a href=http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif target=_blank>http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif</a>

    Forumfall: Flames we can believe in...

  10. #10

    Default

    Magna Carta
    Hear the heartbeat of the world: http://zfacts.com/p/461.html

  11. #11
    4000+
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo Vain View Post
    Magna Carta
    Which game? That's actually a series, currently composed of two games.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,520

    Default

    Either FF 1 2 or 3, I can't remember which one I played.

  13. #13
    8000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    bork bork bork
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Dark Chronicle.

    The only thing I disliked about is that you can't turn down the music volume sepereately frome the rest of the sound, that said there was alot of good music in the game, the combat music just pissed me of.

    Why? Content.

    Realy, I don't want to say to much about it, soo if you got a ps2 and for some reason haven't played this game, you REALY should get it. Only valid reason not to get it is it's kinda childish, no, it's very childish! BUT IT DOESN'T MATHER.

    Right, if you can look past the cartoony style they chose (I quite like it personaly) and that you basicly play as 2 kids, the game in itself is the perfect rpg (almoast).

    Alright, DO NOT READ THIS, IT WILL SPOIL IT! But I will write this anyways because some of you might want more info on the game.

    Spoiler


    Woha, thats a huge motherfucking spoiler! And I don't think I listed everything.

    Basicly, to me it's a 9/10, because it's childish and the music thing. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close.

    Edit: Moast bosses are easy as hell aswell thanks to your robot thingy, if you have kept upgrading it. Wich is kinda sad, but not a huge problem.
    Last edited by Agge; 09-21-2008 at 12:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viranth View Post
    Welcome to OT, your 15 minutes are up.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Fable.

    Fable 2, however, will be even better than anything out there.

  15. #15
    8000+
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    bork bork bork
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toilet View Post
    Fable.

    Fable 2, however, will be even better than anything out there.
    Have fun with your virtual wife and baby, I can see why you might enjoy that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viranth View Post
    Welcome to OT, your 15 minutes are up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •