Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Normal User

Default To anyone interested in a new PC

I was reading through a post about a pc someone was building. I haven't built a pc in probably 6 months so I couldn't give any good information. So I headed over to newegg to see what you can do for 800 bucks these days.

Well it turns out you can build a really nice little gaming rig with even a little room for upgrades in the future.

Here is what I came up with. It's not the beast some might want but it is, as my friend says "A solid" .

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Title=Darkfall

This is not a computer I'm going to build for myself so I haven't researched all of the components piece by piece like I usually would. I have given it a good couple of looks though and all the pieces seem to fit.

If you see something out of place or something that should be different please respond.

And if your looking to build a computer in the coming weeks. I think this is a very nice little rig.

4000+

I need a new one, my hard drive died on my gaming computer and manged to fuck over the whole motherboard.

Think im going to go over the top though on a new one.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Davinchy View Post

If you see something out of place or something that should be different please respond.
    I think it's pretty weird that there are 9 in quantity of pretty much everything.

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Tiarilir View Post
    I think it's pretty weird that there are 9 in quantity of pretty much everything.
    Its going to be a really big pc.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by shnedit View Post
    Its going to be a really big pc.
    But there's only one computer case

4000+

Well I probably shouldn't comment to much (since I usually go for the truly absurd parts when I'm building (The one I built over a year ago beats this by a substantial amount)) however I was curious as to why you went with a dual rather than quad core? Since I'm fairly sure by now that the price has dropped to a reasonable amount on quads.

Other than that my only suggestion is to only use those brands if you or someone you know has used them in the past and liked them (Out of the brands you're buying the only ones I'd recommend are Seagate and Intel).

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Tiarilir View Post
    But there's only one computer case
    Hmm. Maybe he will contruct his own out of balsa wood and nails, following the design of the case he brought! But bigger, like.

2000+ Long term follower

I was reading through a post about a pc someone was building. I haven't built a pc in probably 6 months so I couldn't give any good information. So I headed over to newegg to see what you can do for 800 bucks these days.

Well it turns out you can build a really nice little gaming rig with even a little room for upgrades in the future.

Here is what I came up with. It's not the beast some might want but it is, as my friend says "A solid" .

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Title=Darkfall

This is not a computer I'm going to build for myself so I haven't researched all of the components piece by piece like I usually would. I have given it a good couple of looks though and all the pieces seem to fit.

And if your looking to build a computer in the coming weeks. I think this is a very nice little rig.
    Gigabyte and DFI are much better buys for a MB. Avoid 2x++ PCIE MBs. Its just not worth running multiple cards anymore. Single slot options are now doing more then most cpu can handle. That PSU is very over priced. Antec is a much better price to performance ratio for a budget build. I would also avoid the 8800gt. Its not even a mid ranged card anymore. It has now taken the place of the 8600s. When you have the 260 and the 4850 there is no point in going any lower for gaming.

2000+

lol i need 9 packs of thermail paste please, i use it to cool my pcie sockets, lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Tudiya/sig2.jpg

Normal User

like I said I haven't really built anyone a computer since around may, but prior to that I did it pretty regularly as a way to make a little extra cash. At that time I researched brands, warranties on the brands and whatnot pretty thouroughly. And as you eluded to I have used those particular brands in a few builds and had great results.

Anyway. You also know I'm sure that most games gain little benefit from quad core over dual. It's still pretty standard that higher clock speeds on two processor cores bests slower speeds on four cores. So for someone just looking for pure gaming power and decent speeds with everything else. I thought dual core was a given.

I have an octo core workstation that I use for my business/entertainment. I can attest to the lowsy multi core/ multi processor support in most applications. Especially games. For the few professional applications I use it is a life saver, but not worth it to the average gamer.

Guess that sums up my response to your inquiries. Did you see a brand that you have had problems with? do you have a different perspective on the whole dual quad core thing? Happy to hear different perspectives. It's the only way to learn

I would agree on the PSU price, It's far too high. Also the 8800 is a little out of date dont ya think? You could get a cheap 4850 or 70 these days or spend a little extra on the 280 like above if you want to stick with Nvidia.

8800, Little old. No idea on what it will support in the future.

Edit: Btw, what's with all the x9s ?
    Last edited by Spoon-Manni; 09-05-2008 at 12:56.

Normal User

I didn't even think to look at an antek. last time I made a build the pcp&c quad 750 was 109 dollars so I went straight to that brand. I like antec though and they have the same warranty.

is this the one you where thinking of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371010

Also the guy who I mocked this up for wanted the option for 2 gpu's some day.

Normal User

I see your point with the gpu. I thought 120 bucks sounded like a great deal for a superclocked 8800gt but I checked out the new mid range ati's and they are almost as cheap with the mail in rebate. What a deal.

I just can't see that 109 dollars is expensive for a great psu though. if you can offer a better alternative I'd be happy to put that in instead.

I do like the antek and it's modular. but I'm a big fan of single 12v rails

4000+

like I said I haven't really built anyone a computer since around may, but prior to that I did it pretty regularly as a way to make a little extra cash. At that time I researched brands, warranties on the brands and whatnot pretty thouroughly. And as you eluded to I have used those particular brands in a few builds and had great results.

Anyway. You also know I'm sure that most games gain little benefit from quad core over dual. It's still pretty standard that higher clock speeds on two processor cores bests slower speeds on four cores. So for someone just looking for pure gaming power and decent speeds with everything else. I thought dual core was a given.

I have an octo core workstation that I use for my business/entertainment. I can attest to the lowsy multi core/ multi processor support in most applications. Especially games. For the few professional applications I use it is a life saver, but not worth it to the average gamer.

Guess that sums up my response to your inquiries. Did you see a brand that you have had problems with? do you have a different perspective on the whole dual quad core thing? Happy to hear different perspectives. It's the only way to learn
    The reason I mentioned brands was because most of them I personally haven't used. If you've used them and found them reliable then that's all there is to it really (Honestly it's just second nature for me to be suspicious of brands of computer parts I haven't used or at least had a friend who attested for.)

As for the dual versus quad question...Well first off at this point quad has a pretty concrete (although small) advantage in gaming since they've been out long enough that games are starting to take them into consideration. However you need to consider price, how long until you upgrade, and whether you use other programs while you game. This last one is probably most important in the short term since that's the main advantage of a quad currently. As for the other two, well I won't comment price wise but unless you intend to upgrade relatively quickly going with a quad will likely be fairly heavily to your advantage by the time you decide to.

After saying all this please recall I'm probably going to be prejudiced towards power because that's how I build. So I may very well be if not wrong overall at least wrong in your case.

2000+ Long term follower

The e8400 is imo the best buy for a gamer atm. Its fast and affordable. Its a very good OCer as well. You are correct. We all look for results when we build anything. Unless you are going to dump alot more money a quad will just slow you down atm. Yes quads are better with some apps but unless you are going to do alot of work with those apps the gains you get from a 2 core setup are much better atm.

I detest Foxcon. They use alot of Chinese parts. I put them in a basket with the current Asus MBs and Biostar. Being the heart of the rig and capable of destoying everything you plug into it, it is the most important part of the rig imo.

Another brand I avoid is EVGA. They sell alot of cards but they RMA a higher % then any vender around. They are always the cheapest built cards around. EVGA is very good at releasing cards with faulty major parts. They pushed the same bad vram for 2 years. They still make some cards with it. Thats just bad buisness. IMO, EVGA is the walmart of hardware.

Warrenty is pretty much all the same these days. Asus is decent with rma and coverage. Gigabyte is as well. The problem is like with any company no matter how big or small, when you purchase a faulty product in and you are just one of many who bought that product and the entire line is having problems you are likely to get fucked waiting for your replacement. Most of these companies have insane RMA cross shipping costs as well.