Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000+

Default Was at jury duty today..

Was interesting.. I went through the metal detector, it detected the metal on my wallet(rofl) They told me to take my wallet through when I put it in the tray.. So from there, I go to the waiting room, sit there for about a half hour watching a boring ass movie, Field of Dreams... They played 3 movies with Kevin Kostner, I was asking myself why but couldn't find an answer. So from there, they called everyone up, gave us a number, and has us cramed on this white tile area, 120 of us, which is apparently a shit load for a jury. So we went up stairs from the elevators, this big ass group, and they line us up in numeric order outside the courtroom, it was literally like an hour before we got into the courtroom from downstairs..

So inside the courtroom, there was a deputy, good looking young girl, not many good looking female deputies, this means that the defendent was in custody(already in jail.) They read off from this paper of all this guys counts and what he did, the fucker has 87 counts, he is some kind of serial shooter, I didn't understand cause the same guy went to trial before, getting up to 75 years, but I guess this was for the death penalty, they said that the trial was going to last up to 9 months, and I was like, ok, fuck that.. And this was basaclly volunteer, they told people if we didn't want to do this trial, just say so.. So I said, I didn't want to do it when I stood up, and they released me, but not from the building, no, they wanted to use the same people from that group for other trials.. At 11:30 AM they told everyone to go to lunch for 2 hours, WTF am I gonna do with a 2 hour lunch? I went to the caffeteria, they had a pizza hut, a star bucks, a gift shop, and a taco bell, I literally hate like 10 soft tacos to pass the time...

So I went back to the courtroom, right when that was over, sat there for about an hour, and got called for my next group, this wasn't nearly as back, only 37 people, this worked differently, they would ask us a shit load of pointless questions that all seemed like that same question, was in there for like an hour, then they release us for a break, which lasted about an hour, and call us back in for the selection, I was one of the lucky ones, and didn't get selected, I really thought I was going to, but I told them I had a vacation coming up, which was the only thing that got me off the hook, apparently it was some girl who was arrested for buying and selling drugs back in 2006, I couldn't help but to think that it took them long enough to get her on trial..

So from there, they released us.. And I was fucking exhausted, no way I could spend 9 months in a jury, let alone, 4 days....

Explain your jury experiencese...

IRC Moderator

Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.

-Homer Simpson

Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

5000+

What's the consequence for skipping jury duty?
    WOLVERINES UNITE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    I've got a decent salve for that. If you catch my drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLily View Post
    Normally dispensed by hand pump I'd imagine.
    Look into my dark side

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by heroshade View Post
    homeland security breaks down your door and takes your freedoms away

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Everto View Post
    You had sex with the defendant, and your answer would be biased.
    LOL. i like it.

Yea and i really hate taco's too.. especially when there's 10 of them.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
    like you americans have any in the first place ahahah
    Stop being retarded.

Back on topic, i never understood the point of a "jury of your peers".

They really put the fate of defendants in the hands of pizza delivery boys, janitors, Mcdonalds burger flippers and other min wage or uneducated people ?

"Durrr yer hunur we the joorie find teh defendant GUILTEH off with his hed !"

Or is there a certain requirement to be met in order to get jury duty ?

Tbh a jury should be composed entirely of people with legal background of sorts. Or, not have a jury at all, simply 2-3 judges brimming with legal knowledge.
    The Original Guybrush Threepwood
    EU 1
    Jump quitting and ctrlaltdelendprocessing since 97.

2000+

Haha, Jury Duty sounds like it would be fucking boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Haha, Jury Duty sounds like it would be fucking boring.

Ooooo, trust me it is. I got put on a case that lasted 4 days. Fucking middle of summer and shitty AC fucking BLEW. You basically sit there.... take notes.... and do NOTHING!
    BRING BACK LIMBO!

10,000+

Apparently nothing, I have skipped out on 16 years of them.

9000+

Quote Originally Posted by Reikson View Post
    Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.

-Homer Simpson
    BASTARD!! I wanted to say that!
    It's Lethn...if he doesn't sound pissed off then there must be a rift in the space-time continuum - Ultimo
    According to fanbois in order for there to be no problems with an MMORPG you have to imagine it isn't there, well, they say ignorance is bliss.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Pcheez View Post
    Stop being retarded.

They really put the fate of defendants in the hands of pizza delivery boys, janitors, Mcdonalds burger flippers and other min wage or uneducated people ?

Tbh a jury should be composed entirely of people with legal background of sorts. Or, not have a jury at all, simply 2-3 judges brimming with legal knowledge.
    Limiting the size of the jury pool can only cause more corruption in the system.
    It is hard to see the life being choked out of the other side by the same hand that is wrapped around your neck when you soo surrounded by darkness

2000+

I stopped when you said Field of Dreams is boring.

I hate you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Normal User

In my state the sheriffs deputies come and arrest you if you don't show up. Then you get to spend 3 days in jail for it. If you report to Jury duty then leave without being excused the deputies look for you immediately and you get to spend the rest of the day and night in jail then see the judge in the morning. Now those are the penalties I don't know if the first is enforced or not, but I know the second one is cause when I was on Jury Duty last year someone didn't show back up and a judge came to tell the rest of the pool what happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcheez

You are about as dumb as the guy you quoted. The Jury pool is based off of everyone with a drivers license and vote registration. Then it is whittled down to remove felons. So you have a broad range of intelligence when picking the pool. One the jury I served on their were 3 lawyers and a few execs for local companies. Sure there were a lot of scrubs too, but there were also a fair share of regular everyday people.

Really though I would rather be judged by the so called dumb people then a 3 judge panel.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Cohort View Post

You are about as dumb as the guy you quoted. The Jury pool is based off of everyone with a drivers license and vote registration. Then it is whittled down to remove felons. So you have a broad range of intelligence when picking the pool. One the jury I served on their were 3 lawyers and a few execs for local companies. Sure there were a lot of scrubs too, but there were also a fair share of regular everyday people.

Really though I would rather be judged by the so called dumb people then a 3 judge panel.

So anyone who can vote or drive can pass judgement on defendants.

Thanks for narrowing it down, but its still as you said too broad a range of intelligence.

I wouldnt want some uneducated hick that voted bush and drives a pickup to be on my jury if i was convicted, heh.

No, your face is dumb
    The Original Guybrush Threepwood
    EU 1
    Jump quitting and ctrlaltdelendprocessing since 97.