Normal User

Default An interesting extension of social networking

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but nothing showed on search, so I am going to assume it has not. If it has, and I don't survive the ensuing inferno, please dispose of the body in an eco-friendly fashion.

Recently it seems that Facebook, Mememespace et al have been taking over teh interwebz, and I confess to having an account on at least one such site. A new development is underway which will take social networking to a whole different level.

Enter Rocketon. I read about it on the BBCNews|Tech page and went off to see their site. There's not a huge amount their site, in terms of detail, but the BBC article is very interesting. It has huge potential as an idea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7591982.stm

The article also discusses PMOG (or Passively Multi-player Online Game) which is a very odd idea. Quirky, I rather like it.

Link to Rocketon site:

http://www.rocketon.com/

Normal User

Details are sketchy but players will be able to park their cruisers and frigates on the websites or territories they control and then defend against those laying siege to them.
    Browser PvP.

Nowhere shall be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVolgan View Post
    they should make EVERYONE a moderator. Bans flying everywhere. Last one standing wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maas
    There is a reason the phrase "/b/tarded" is used on the interwebs...

Let's keep this stuff off of forumfall, less we become /b/tards ourselves.

14,000+ Long term follower

oh boy, i'm going to drop everything and sign up right away! especially my pants!

Normal User

Imagine a flamewar on the forums, but instead of walls of text it's a bunch of avatars stood shouting at each other :P I'm guessing, at some point, you'll be able to throw things at each other (like waterballoons on Facebook).

Seriously though, I think this will be huge. I can well imagine meeting up with friends and chatting whilst kicking back to something on Youtube. I can totally imagine that.

oh boy, i'm going to drop everything and sign up right away! especially my pants!
    Excellent idea. Let me know how that goes, especially the pants. I'll just keep my eye on it as an interesting development and feel a general sense of joy and well-being at how wonderfully full of potential the internet really is.
    Last edited by Salo; 09-03-2008 at 23:15.

Normal User

Oops:P
    Last edited by Salo; 09-03-2008 at 23:15. Reason: no need to post

Quote Originally Posted by Salo View Post
    Excellent idea. Let me know how that goes, especially the pants. I'll just keep my eye on it as an interesting development and feel a general sense of joy and well-being at how wonderfully full of potential the internet really is.
    That's not all you'll feel.

Normal User

O...k...a...y. Yeah, that sounded kinda sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by Salo View Post
    O...k...a...y. Yeah, that sounded kinda sensual.
    You know it.

12,000+

didnt we already discuss something like this. Wasnt eve making a version of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Protonix
    I won't just be looking. I'm clearly planning to fap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    I really don't care about jews or the sand people. I think they should just have an epic battle on dantooine to settle this all.

3000+

5 years from now, you'll regreat having used any of these "social" websites. Recruiters just started using google to get infos, but I predict it'll be one of their future reflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    I stumble home drunk at 4am frequently, my sprinklers come on at 4:30 and scare the shit out of me when I'm trying to find my keys.