Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Gaming computer specs

I am considering buying a new computer for gaming. I don't really understand any of the video card, meghurtz, ram or any stuff like that, so would someone tell me what the best stuff I can get is for a gaming computer and explain what it is does?

Like whats better, quad processor or duo? and what does that even mean?
    I'm not a genius! You're just retarded!

2000+ Long term follower

Your price range is a must before anyone can help you. What titles you like to play does not hurt either. Are you a FPS or an MMO gamer ect..

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Spineless_DoO View Post
    Your price range is a must before anyone can help you. What titles you like to play does not hurt either. Are you a FPS or an MMO gamer ect..
    You can start by explaining to me what the purpose of everything is, what it does, how it helps etc. Then I'll do the research on my own.

Blood of Kings Leader
    13,000+

No.

This ain't a one stop all encompassing computer school...

If you want advice on what to get, put down a price range. If you want to be taught about computers, go to school or find a forum dedicated to computers.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Jangang View Post
    No.

This ain't a one stop all encompassing computer school...

If you want advice on what to get, put down a price range. If you want to be taught about computers, go to school or find a forum dedicated to computers.
    I'm not asking for a full course in computers, just a simple summary of what different components do so I can figure out the rest myself

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by hezakwik View Post
    You can start by explaining to me what the purpose of everything is, what it does, how it helps etc. Then I'll do the research on my own.
    www.google.com

This should have all your answers. If you're just going to do the research on your own anyway, why the hell do you need us? We don't have the time to go through and explain how every component and chip works in a PC.

I'm not asking for a full course in computers, just a simple summary of what different components do so I can figure out the rest myself
    Come on man, simple as this:

Www.google.com Search:
    what does ramz do.
    what doez deh megahurtz do
    and so on..

Drunken Beggar Clan Leader

There's a big debate over quad vs dual core processors, but most people think dual cores are more bang for your buck when it comes to gaming. So, for example, an E8400 Dual Core is comparable in price to a Q6600. While the latter has 4 cores, you're lucky if a game even uses two of them. The E8400 has 3 ghz cores, and the Q6600 has 2.4 ghz cores. So while the quad has more cores, they're individually less powerful at the same price point, as the dual core.

RAM and a graphics cards are very important, so don't cut any corners there.

Beggar King of the Drunken Beggar Clan

2000+ Long term follower

You dont build a computer based on that type of info. You build it for the work you want it to do. In todays market most of those numbers are not a factor as each key brand has its own performance differences at the same ##s. You build a system today based on your display, software you are going to use, and your price range.

The first key questions are in this order:

1) How much are you going to spend
    2) What workload aka games or other things do you need the machine to do well
    3) What size of display and what resolution do you want? I recomend 1680x1050ish at 22inches as its easy on the pocket and does not require top of the line hardware to run on high detail.

If you cant answer those questions then you have to resort to benchmarks. Even then some setups dont get along well. Its best to just answer the above 3.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Spineless_DoO View Post
    You dont build a computer based on that type of info. You build it for the work you want it to do. In todays market most of those numbers are not a factor as each key brand has its own performance differences at the same ##s. You build a system today based on your display, software you are going to use, and your price range.

The first key questions are in this order:

1) How much are you going to spend
    2) What workload aka games or other things do you need the machine to do well
    3) What size of display and what resolution do you want? I recomend 1680x1050ish at 22inches as its easy on the pocket and does not require top of the line hardware to run on high detail.

If you cant answer those questions then you have to resort to benchmarks. Even then some setups dont get along well. Its best to just answer the above 3.
    1. $1500 tops
    2. MMOs assassin's creed
    3. your recommendation

1. $1500 tops
    2. MMOs assassin's creed
    3. your recommendation
    if you wanna try n build it you can make a BEAST with 1500. its not hard, but get a friend whos done it to help first.

2. assassins creed can look GORGEOUS if you can max it out. You want a 512 vid card for sure.
    3. doesnt really matter, thats just his preference. what kind of monitor are you going to be using? size?
    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin Likes to Swallow View Post
    Click the link
    MMORPG.com - Fox News' internet division
    Epicor's Official Carebear List:

NapalmEnema, Kin

Blood of Kings Leader
    13,000+

Next question.

Are you comfortable putting everything together yourself? (most everything only plugs in where it goes.) Or do you want it ready to go when you get it?

Edit:
    As said, you can build a really nice system for that. Though if you want it prebuilt it won't be so nice hehe.
    Last edited by Jangang; 08-25-2008 at 19:52.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by epicor View Post
    if you wanna try n build it you can make a BEAST with 1500. its not hard, but get a friend whos done it to help first.

2. assassins creed can look GORGEOUS if you can max it out. You want a 512 vid card for sure.
    3. doesnt really matter, thats just his preference. what kind of monitor are you going to be using? size?
    If I don't know any friends who have done it, how can I start out?

3. nothing really big, just something standard but not crappy.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Jangang View Post
    Next question.

Are you comfortable putting everything together yourself? (most everything only plugs in where it goes.) Or do you want it ready to go when you get it?

Edit:
    As said, you can build a really nice system for that. Though if you want it prebuilt it won't be so nice hehe.
    You know how I can start doing that?

when i started i just did a little research to make sure i got parts that matched what i wanted. For example you dont want to get a socket 775 CPU and a socket M mobo (mother board). So really your best bet is to google cpu assembly tutorials then go to newegg and start looking around. You will start seeing the peices match up socket for socket and port for port.

sockets/GHz = CPUs
    PCIe = video cards (also older cards = AGP)
    RAM = MBs (though really you will be getting GBs, probably 2x 1BG would be good start)
    harddrive = GBs (storage capacity, also get a 7200rpm sata drive)

everything else is tertiary (printers, speakers etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin Likes to Swallow View Post
    Click the link
    MMORPG.com - Fox News' internet division
    Epicor's Official Carebear List:

NapalmEnema, Kin