Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    2000+

Default Some things to think about in the upcoming months...

now, i joined forumfall towards the beginning of the summer, so i'm still relatively new compared to most of you. but i've noticed that recently the entire forum has been getting derailed with pointless threads, breaking of the ToS, repeated posts asking about the upcoming video, etc. and i feel it's creating a poor atmosphere for a lot of us (i'm sure many of you have noticed as well).

for example, i saw someone that started like 10 threads in one day, and half of them were locked b/c they either broke ToS or they were stupid trolls at best (i don’t want to name names but you know who you are). Everyone should have maybe one bad thread, ok. Maybe even a couple. But by the 3rd or 4th locked thread in one day, they’re better off just being banned.

however, i think a lot of these ridiculous posts are spawning out of the fact that people who present ideas or opinions on the game are generally met with “use search” or “who cares,” etc. since at this point, most of the good ideas have already been mentioned. and yes, I’m guilty of this too (what can i say? it's fun to grief sometimes). sure, the troll threads or the pointless threads probably deserve it, but if someone asks a question or starts a poll that you’ve seen a thousand times and they're met with negativity, it deters them from posting these sorts of threads, leaving mainly pointless threads and trolls, which ultimately self-perpetuates the attitude of the forum.

when i first joined, i tried posting some of my ideas and opinions, just to let everyone know i was there. i mean, that's what we're here for isn't it? to be a part of the community? and even though most of my posts were relatively harmless, i got some negative responses and i quickly assimilated into the widespread forumfall mentality, which led me to my first thread... basically a failed troll attempt. i was met with hostility, which was good, since i stopped creating threads like that.

now, i know a lot of you think it's funny that people have such low opinions of forumfallers. and yea, it can be sort of humorous… sometimes. but a big reason many people play MMO's is because of the community aspect (although most of us here probably aren't here for that reason). but the community of forumfall represents darkfall, and if people don't like the community, a lot of people that may have otherwise played or at least tried the game, might not end up playing it. again, a lot of you might think "great, no carebears," but it's hurting the game, and it's hurting the devs that created the game since it ultimately diminishes their revenue.

i've been spending a lot more time over at the mortal online forums recently, and the atmosphere is totally different. i'm sure this is nothing new to anyone else who's visited their forums. i think the differences between the forumfall community and the mortalfall community are largely based on the fact that while forumfall has been around for several years, mortalfall has only been around for several months. During these years, forumfallers have grown impatient, and after awhile, they’ve heard all the ideas people have for the game, they’ve seen the “what type of character will you play?” thread rehashed a thousand times. So it makes perfect sense. But the mortalfall community is surprisingly very helpful and encouraging overall when people present new ideas or even just their thoughts on the game. The only thing I really have to say about mortalfall (other than being slightly more carebear) is that plenty of them have very poor opinions of forumfall and they make it pretty clear. the reason i bring up mortalfall is that if you look at their forums, even their off-topic forums have very few trolls or retarded threads. since the "veterans" of mortalfall are encouraging to the newcomers, it makes them want to be encouraging to those who come after them, and so on. granted, over time they'll probably run into the same problems forumfall has run into, but it doesn't have to be that way.

once open beta begins and as darkfall's release draws near, i want everyone to keep in mind that how we act could be the difference between whether or not many of the potential gamers decide to play darkfall. If carebears wanna play, who the hell cares? Let them. It will just provide us with easy loot. If they start asking the devs to make the game carebear, I seriously doubt the devs will listen to them, so let them whine. we shouldn't try to drive them away. if they have bad ideas, tell them and explain it to them why it's stupid, rather than just calling them a retard, since that just ends up spreading the negativity.

also, as newcomers join in the next few months before the carebear stampede, keep in mind that how you act towards them will likely be how they'll act towards the masses that will come at launch time, so set a positive example. if someone's a douche, tell them, but without actually calling them a douche. if we all try to clean up our act (a little), by the time the release is closing in, hopefully forumfall will be a more welcome community, and once it actually releases, we'll have plenty to discuss other than what you ate tonight, so it will be much easier to maintain a positive overall mentality. just something to think about in the months ahead...

No tl;dr version. if you can’t read a few paragraphs you probably wouldn’t care anyways.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    The Darkfall community has always been a source of good feedback, constructive criticism, and inspiration for the Darkfall developers and we'll keep it that way by doing away with the non-constructive elements.
    JTT - Never Forget 10-18-08

2000+

Tear DOWN this WALL!!

4000+

I read the whole thing, do I get a prize?
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by palo god View Post
    I read the whole thing, do I get a prize?
    the personal satisfaction that can only come from within? i don't have any cookies if that's what you mean..
    /thread
    The Darkfall community has always been a source of good feedback, constructive criticism, and inspiration for the Darkfall developers and we'll keep it that way by doing away with the non-constructive elements.

Storm Guild Leader
    (Guild Leader)

Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
    now, i joined forumfall towards the beginning of the summer, so i'm still relatively new compared to most of you. but i've noticed that recently the entire forum has been getting derailed with pointless threads,
    I stopped reading right around there. Oh the irony......

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I stopped reading right around there. Oh the irony......
    well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you stopped reading there, i'm not quite sure how you managed to determine the thread is pointless.
    /thread

2000+

i may aswell read a novel

It's pretty pointless. I don't think many people will read the whole thing btw so your best bet is a tl;dr version.

Acordionasty---> Not me, but it's pretty good

Darkfall is like sex and we're the crabby old fucks with blue-balls in a strip tease when we haven't gotten laid in years.

It makes perfect sense that we're cynical and bitter. I'm sure after Release, we'll all be happier people.
    Last edited by Maize; 08-24-2008 at 07:59.
    ~~~Khaal Dramhi~~~
    Spoiler

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Incanam View Post
    It's pretty pointless. I don't think many people will read the whole thing btw so your best bet is a tl;dr version.
    TL;DR version: Stop being assholes.

Yeah, I don't understand it either, just play along...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
    Hello to all of the new beta testers! It's good to see that you all finally made it in. It's been so lonely without you.

Prepare to die.

25,000+

I couldn't agree more.
    I no longer work for Aventurine, if you require assistance please open a support ticket or send a message to any moderator or staff member.

Lachrymose speaks truth, sure enough.

Normal User

The idiots that plague these boards won't represent the Darkfall community come release.

4000+

What the hell happened to my 2nd post?!?!?!?

I smell foul play.

And you cant force the community into something its not.
    Last edited by palo god; 08-24-2008 at 08:13.
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

2000+

This got moved from GD didn't it?

If not, completely wrong forum for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.