Thread: A Laptop

Default A Laptop

So I'm still working on getting a laptop. I'm planning on using it for school mainly, and some small-scale gaming as well: things like Starcraft, ZSNES, and maybe UT 2004. Nothing even comparable to Crysis and that lot. The one that I'm currently looking at is:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114503
    It's slightly different where I'm getting it; the HD is 200 GB and the price is $20 less, but this is basically the same laptop.

My main question is: would the graphics card be able to do what I'm trying to do with it? I have no point of comparison for an ATI Radeon 3100; it sounds pretty poor, considering that ATI is on its 14th series, but it doesn't seem like it's like that, considering that there is 256 MB of video memory on the card itself (not a huge amount but not tiny either). If this wouldn't be able to handle it, would it be possible for someone to suggest a laptop (preferably below $700) that could?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

Normal User

Just pickup and Asus Eeepc 900 for about 430, they can run half-life 2, cod2, and other good games, and they are small enough to carry around. Very good mobile laptops.

3000+

Dude, I can play 99% of games on my ATI Radeon 9250 (128mb)... I don't think you'll have much of a problem unless you want to play them on the higher settings.

To the guy above, I don't think I would be able to play any game on a laptop with such a tiny screen. ( 8.9 inches)

Also, thats a VERY nice laptop for that price. For £350 in the UK (~$700) the best I've found so far is 2GB RAM Core 2 duo and shitty onboard graphics... or maybe Ive not been looking hard enough.
    Last edited by Morthor; 08-17-2008 at 19:08.

2000+ Long term follower

The other option to that laptop is an Asus model. Built a tad better with a smaller HD. The ee models are total shit. Not gamers, not much of anything but web browsers.

Good to hear guys I'm pretty sure I'll be getting this one then.

7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower

think about it like this. a laptop is 80% of it's desktop equivalent. also, battery/power supply issues.

also, i believe the correct terminology is "an laptop"

7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower

double post.
    Last edited by stalwart; 08-17-2008 at 20:53.

19,000+

That card is bad. The first number, the 3, indicates the generation of cards. The last three numbers, 100, are the type. The lower the last three numbers, the crappier the card basically. 100 is really low-end, probably onboard. try getting at least a 3650.

How bad is bad, Viluin? Like I said, I'm talking about Starcraft, ZSNES, and maybe UT 2004. I'm doing small-scale gaming on my downtime on this thing. My gaming rig (antiquated as it may be with its GeForce 6600, Athlon X2 3800+, and 1 GB of RAM) is already here. The games on this thing will just be to kill time when I've got space between classes, don't feel like going home (since I will be commuting to college), and don't have anything else to do.

I know how the numerical systems work, by the way, but I don't have a frame of reference for the laptop series. I don't know of any laptop benchmarks, for example.
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 08-17-2008 at 21:16.

Normal User

Starcraft and SNES emulators will of course work.
    UT 2004 should work too, on the lower settings.
    If you want a laptop for school work and older games, I say go for it!

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    How bad is bad, Viluin? Like I said, I'm talking about Starcraft, ZSNES, and maybe UT 2004. I'm doing small-scale gaming on my downtime on this thing. My gaming rig (antiquated as it may be with its GeForce 6600, Athlon X2 3800+, and 1 GB of RAM) is already here. The games on this thing will just be to kill time when I've got space between classes, don't feel like going home (since I will be commuting to college), and don't have anything else to do.

I know how the numerical systems work, by the way, but I don't have a frame of reference for the laptop series. I don't know of any laptop benchmarks, for example.
    I have no idea how bad, but I'm sure it's very bad. The worst of the 3xxx-series cards. UT2k4 could be a big problem unless you play on minimal settings and a low resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    I have no idea how bad, but I'm sure it's very bad. The worst of the 3xxx-series cards. UT2k4 could be a big problem unless you play on minimal settings and a low resolution.
    OK, so I lose one of my go-to games. I can live with that. I can also live with minimal settings and a low resolution on it. I don't play with particularly high settings even now, though I probably could, because I play the game just to mess around. I play instagib exclusively because I'm not abysmal at it.

Looking up requirements for UT 2004 though, it seems like even it should be playable at moderate settings at least. It only requires 32 MB of video memory (http://unreal.freakygaming.com/pc/ac...m_requirements), though 64+ is recommended. Seems like this thing can handle whatever I would actually want to throw at it.

19,000+

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    OK, so I lose one of my go-to games. I can live with that. I can also live with minimal settings and a low resolution on it. I don't play with particularly high settings even now, though I probably could, because I play the game just to mess around. I play instagib exclusively because I'm not abysmal at it.

Looking up requirements for UT 2004 though, it seems like even it should be playable at moderate settings at least. It only requires 32 MB of video memory (http://unreal.freakygaming.com/pc/ac...m_requirements), though 64+ is recommended. Seems like this thing can handle whatever I would actually want to throw at it.
    Video memory isn't everything. This card is just plain slow. It's a lot slower than your 6600.

Well I got the laptop, and you were at least partially wrong Viluin. UT 2k4 runs just fine on it, and according to its FPS utility, my laptop is actually running it better. It seems to say that my desktop has about 43 FPS (admittedly with a lot of crap in the background) while the laptop goes at about 55-60 FPS, on the same settings and the same server. Though I don't know how reliable it is...the FPS indicator doesn't even look the same between the two computers (one is red and the other is green), and on my desktop it puts out like 15 digits with no decimal point and minimal fluctuation no matter how much things change. (While it fluctuates a good bit and is green on the laptop. The files were also copied directly from this computer to the other; I didn't download the demo again.) Still, UT 2k4 runs just fine on this thing, and that's all I wanted and expected. Didn't even cost as much as I expected.

Thanks for the help before guys!
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 08-18-2008 at 20:27.

nmevermind shoulda read alfars post huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Viluin Likes to Swallow View Post
    Click the link
    MMORPG.com - Fox News' internet division
    Epicor's Official Carebear List:

NapalmEnema, Kin