Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default Dark Knight: The Allegory

    So, recently Villa posted a thread about BSG on New Caprica being an allegory for Iraq.
    Well, there's an idea of an allegory I find much more interesting, an idea put out by the political right that The Dark Knight is an allegory for the Bush doctrine on the war on terror.

    In the most general terms their argument goes thus: there are times when simple questions of Right and Wrong don't apply; that when your very existence is at risk, only a fool or an idealist would limit himself with such questions.

    Fleshing out the allegory from the perspective of the political Right:

    Batman- is George Bush, Dick Cheney, et al. who understand that the old rules won't suffice. They are the necessary paradigm. For example, Batman wiretaps and monitors the entire populaion of Gotham.

    The Joker- is the archetypical terrorist within the dialogue of the Right. He doesn't kill in reaction to what was done to him or what anyone did. He just kills.

    Commissioner Gordon- is the police, the military, the FBI, the CIA, the protectors who have their own rules and structure they must perforce follow who work in parallel with the new paradigm.

    Lucius Fox- is law and order. Law itself. He provides the tools necessary to fight according to the needs of the new paradigm. He vascillates between cooperation, relunctance, and incredulity until he ultimately has to disavow Batman's methods.

    Harvey Dent- is every defeatist, every cut-and-run'er, everyone who started out on the right side of the fight before giving in to despair.

    Gotham- is our ideals of right and wrong, rule of law, and noble ideas that can't survive against a new type of enemy.


    I've gone beyond the simple arguments/statements of the Right, admittedly, but I think my reckonings are fair extrapolations.

    However, does the argument hold water?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    77

    Default

    what is this?
    you eat fungus?

  3. #3
    14,000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    14,727

    Default

    Your argument holds water in the sense that you've diluted your sanity by flooding it with nonstop political rhetoric to the point of crippling your ability to think outside a very specific box.

  4. #4
    1000+
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Your argument holds water in the sense that you've diluted your sanity by flooding it with nonstop political rhetoric to the point of crippling your ability to think outside a very specific box.


    Good thing english is my 2nd language... wtf is that?

  5. #5
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Your argument holds water in the sense that you've diluted your sanity by flooding it with nonstop political rhetoric to the point of crippling your ability to think outside a very specific box.
    I thought my OP was pretty clear that this wasn't my opinion, that I was presenting the perspective of the people who made this assertion and that I fleshed it out by the stated logic of the Right.

    I specifically did not interject my personal opinion.

    But Jesus fucking Christ, you can be one stupid person, Silly.

  6. #6
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunkah View Post


    Good thing english is my 2nd language... wtf is that?
    Surly thinks more of himself than is justified.

  7. #7
    14,000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    14,727

    Default

    You're awfully defensive about that, which makes me right!

  8. #8
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    You're awfully defensive about that, which makes me right!
    Two nonsensical posts in a row, which makes me right!

  9. #9
    14,000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Roswell
    Posts
    14,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Two nonsensical posts in a row, which makes me right!
    If you find my logic fallable, why would you use it in your retort? You've created a paradox. Either I was nonsensical and false, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right... or, I was logical and true, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    If you find my logic fallable, why would you use it in your retort? You've created a paradox. Either I was nonsensical and false, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right... or, I was logical and true, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right.
    Ubi est?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

    I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

  11. #11

    Default

    Batman- is George Bush, Dick Cheney, et al. who understand that the old rules won't suffice. They are the necessary paradigm. For example, Batman wiretaps and monitors the entire populaion of Gotham.

    The Joker- is the archetypical terrorist within the dialogue of the Right. He doesn't kill in reaction to what was done to him or what anyone did. He just kills.

    Commissioner Gordon- is the police, the military, the FBI, the CIA, the protectors who have their own rules and structure they must perforce follow who work in parallel with the new paradigm.

    Lucius Fox- is law and order. Law itself. He provides the tools necessary to fight according to the needs of the new paradigm. He vascillates between cooperation, relunctance, and incredulity until he ultimately has to disavow Batman's methods.

    Harvey Dent- is every defeatist, every cut-and-run'er, everyone who started out on the right side of the fight before giving in to despair.

    Gotham- is our ideals of right and wrong, rule of law, and noble ideas that can't survive against a new type of enemy.
    Yeah, except batman doesn't get tons of oil out of it.

    Edit: OR cost the U.S. trillions of dollars.

    Acordionasty---> Not me, but it's pretty good

  12. #12
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    I dont remember Batman skull fucking Lucius Fox.

  13. #13
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    307

    Default

    It's a good allegory, my compliments on your rich fantasy

  14. #14
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    679

    Default

    This is like shit they talk about all day in universities

    Let us die from fall damage.

  15. #15
    7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    College Station,TX
    Posts
    8,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    I thought my OP was pretty clear that this wasn't my opinion, that I was presenting the perspective of the people who made this assertion and that I fleshed it out by the stated logic of the Right.

    I specifically did not interject my personal opinion.

    But Jesus fucking Christ, you can be one stupid person, Silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Two nonsensical posts in a row, which makes me right!
    oh god, the insanity. gtfo, imo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •