Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3000+

Default Dark Knight: The Allegory

So, recently Villa posted a thread about BSG on New Caprica being an allegory for Iraq.
    Well, there's an idea of an allegory I find much more interesting, an idea put out by the political right that The Dark Knight is an allegory for the Bush doctrine on the war on terror.

In the most general terms their argument goes thus: there are times when simple questions of Right and Wrong don't apply; that when your very existence is at risk, only a fool or an idealist would limit himself with such questions.

Fleshing out the allegory from the perspective of the political Right:

Batman- is George Bush, Dick Cheney, et al. who understand that the old rules won't suffice. They are the necessary paradigm. For example, Batman wiretaps and monitors the entire populaion of Gotham.

The Joker- is the archetypical terrorist within the dialogue of the Right. He doesn't kill in reaction to what was done to him or what anyone did. He just kills.

Commissioner Gordon- is the police, the military, the FBI, the CIA, the protectors who have their own rules and structure they must perforce follow who work in parallel with the new paradigm.

Lucius Fox- is law and order. Law itself. He provides the tools necessary to fight according to the needs of the new paradigm. He vascillates between cooperation, relunctance, and incredulity until he ultimately has to disavow Batman's methods.

Harvey Dent- is every defeatist, every cut-and-run'er, everyone who started out on the right side of the fight before giving in to despair.

Gotham- is our ideals of right and wrong, rule of law, and noble ideas that can't survive against a new type of enemy.

I've gone beyond the simple arguments/statements of the Right, admittedly, but I think my reckonings are fair extrapolations.

However, does the argument hold water?

Banned

what is this?
    you eat fungus?

14,000+ Long term follower

Your argument holds water in the sense that you've diluted your sanity by flooding it with nonstop political rhetoric to the point of crippling your ability to think outside a very specific box.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Your argument holds water in the sense that you've diluted your sanity by flooding it with nonstop political rhetoric to the point of crippling your ability to think outside a very specific box.

Good thing english is my 2nd language... wtf is that?

3000+

I thought my OP was pretty clear that this wasn't my opinion, that I was presenting the perspective of the people who made this assertion and that I fleshed it out by the stated logic of the Right.

I specifically did not interject my personal opinion.

But Jesus fucking Christ, you can be one stupid person, Silly.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkah View Post

Good thing english is my 2nd language... wtf is that?
    Surly thinks more of himself than is justified.

You're awfully defensive about that, which makes me right!

3000+

You're awfully defensive about that, which makes me right!
    Two nonsensical posts in a row, which makes me right!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    If you find my logic fallable, why would you use it in your retort? You've created a paradox. Either I was nonsensical and false, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right... or, I was logical and true, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right.

If you find my logic fallable, why would you use it in your retort? You've created a paradox. Either I was nonsensical and false, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right... or, I was logical and true, which makes your follow up post a contradiction of itself which in turn makes me right.
    Ubi est?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

Batman- is George Bush, Dick Cheney, et al. who understand that the old rules won't suffice. They are the necessary paradigm. For example, Batman wiretaps and monitors the entire populaion of Gotham.

The Joker- is the archetypical terrorist within the dialogue of the Right. He doesn't kill in reaction to what was done to him or what anyone did. He just kills.

Commissioner Gordon- is the police, the military, the FBI, the CIA, the protectors who have their own rules and structure they must perforce follow who work in parallel with the new paradigm.

Lucius Fox- is law and order. Law itself. He provides the tools necessary to fight according to the needs of the new paradigm. He vascillates between cooperation, relunctance, and incredulity until he ultimately has to disavow Batman's methods.

Harvey Dent- is every defeatist, every cut-and-run'er, everyone who started out on the right side of the fight before giving in to despair.

Gotham- is our ideals of right and wrong, rule of law, and noble ideas that can't survive against a new type of enemy.
    Yeah, except batman doesn't get tons of oil out of it.

Edit: OR cost the U.S. trillions of dollars.

Acordionasty---> Not me, but it's pretty good

Normal User

I dont remember Batman skull fucking Lucius Fox.

Normal User

It's a good allegory, my compliments on your rich fantasy

Normal User

This is like shit they talk about all day in universities

Let us die from fall damage.

7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower

I thought my OP was pretty clear that this wasn't my opinion, that I was presenting the perspective of the people who made this assertion and that I fleshed it out by the stated logic of the Right.

I specifically did not interject my personal opinion.

But Jesus fucking Christ, you can be one stupid person, Silly.
    oh god, the insanity. gtfo, imo.