Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default Need a Little Tech Support from Forumfall

    So, I've noticed this is a pretty tech-savvy community, and what do you know, I have a tech problem.

    My computer has recently started making a high-pitched whining noise. It's constant and at just the right tone that it gets inside your head and is impossible to ignore (Even with headphones)

    I've narrowed it down to something in the power supply - even when the son-of-a-bitch is off it still makes the noise so long as the circuit is complete. (little I/O button in the "I" position" ) I've dusted the whole thing out, but I can't do any more without voiding my warranty. (foiled by a sticker )

    Any knowledgeable sort out there know why it's doing this and if there is some easy way to fix it that I'm not seeing? I'm leaving for college in less that 3 weeks, so taking it in for repairs would be a serious pain. Just having some clue as the why it's doing this would really help me out.

    Any input would be appreciated.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

  2. #2
    Normal User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    647

    Default

    is ball in a cup like 2 girls one cup?

  3. #3

    Default

    Use a hammer IMO.
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=58079&datel  ine=1214663282[/CENTER]

  4. #4
    2000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Frontenac, Kansas
    Posts
    2,391

    Default

    might be a problem with a sound driver? or a motherboard issue. I doubt it is your powersupply.
    "There is serious concern on the part of the
    military that they will not even be able to fight the war because of such factors as the EMP. However, I have faith in the military. I am sure they will do an admirable job of trying to destroy the world."

  5. #5
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Byggin View Post
    is ball in a cup like 2 girls one cup?
    No, It's Mexico's favorite toy for over 340 years, damn it!

    Now answer my OP question.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

  6. #6
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haldred View Post
    might be a problem with a sound driver? or a motherboard issue. I doubt it is your powersupply.
    I thought about that - but the problem is it still makes the noise even when the computer is off. From my understanding, there should be no power going to any of the components when this is the case - the only thing receiving any power would be the power supply itself. At least, that's how I understand it.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

  7. #7
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Korea bitchz
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    if you don't want to take it in for repairs, just go ahead and void the warranty. if you can't fix it yourself, just by a new one. or just get one of those bicycles that can power a lightbulb and hook it to your motherboard. at least that way you can lose some weight while you game.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    The Darkfall community has always been a source of good feedback, constructive criticism, and inspiration for the Darkfall developers and we'll keep it that way by doing away with the non-constructive elements.
    JTT - Never Forget 10-18-08

  8. #8
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    2,385

    Default

    Probably is the PSU. If so, I would advise against using your computer until you fix it, if you can. If that thing goes, the rest of your computer is likely to follow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

  9. #9
    2000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Frontenac, Kansas
    Posts
    2,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ball-In-A-Cup View Post
    I thought about that - but the problem is it still makes the noise even when the computer is off. From my understanding, there should be no power going to any of the components when this is the case - the only thing receiving any power would be the power supply itself. At least, that's how I understand it.
    You shut it off and it still made a noise? did you unplug it? or just shutdown?
    "There is serious concern on the part of the
    military that they will not even be able to fight the war because of such factors as the EMP. However, I have faith in the military. I am sure they will do an admirable job of trying to destroy the world."

  10. #10
    Normal User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    2,771

    Default

    Opening it up and voiding the warranty is useless if you can't fix the problem.

    Best suggestion is to get a new power supply.

    It's quick, won't take as long to return it and wait for it to be repaired.

  11. #11
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spart View Post
    Probably is the PSU. If so, I would advise against using your computer until you fix it, if you can. If that thing goes, the rest of your computer is likely to follow.
    So I shouldn't be typing this right now? Good to know.

    I had a computer blow out on me once before because the PSU went out. I actually salvaged most of the components - and then promptly threw them away because they were outdated.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

  12. #12
    2000+
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Korea bitchz
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ball-In-A-Cup View Post
    So I shouldn't be typing this right now? Good to know.

    I had a computer blow out on me once before because the PSU went out. I actually salvaged most of the components - and then promptly threw them away because they were outdated.
    try unplugging everything from the psu (even the mobo) and see if it still make the noise. if it does, it would HAVE to be the psu. or someone's playing a really dirty trick on you.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    The Darkfall community has always been a source of good feedback, constructive criticism, and inspiration for the Darkfall developers and we'll keep it that way by doing away with the non-constructive elements.
    JTT - Never Forget 10-18-08

  13. #13
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haldred View Post
    You shut it off and it still made a noise? did you unplug it? or just shutdown?
    Shut down - breaking the circuit (plug-pull or flipping the I/O switch) does stop the noise.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

  14. #14
    2000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    There is no repairing a power supply....well, there is, but no one will do it. Just replace it and you're good to go.
    Character - Warez King
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy View Post
    100% Pure fucking awesome. Sig me.

  15. #15
    Normal User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
    try unplugging everything from the psu (even the mobo) and see if it still make the noise. if it does, it would HAVE to be the psu. or someone's playing a really dirty trick on you.
    This gonna be a pain in the ass - but I'm on it.
    Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 106.67%, Socializer 26.67%

    "It's not enough for me to succeed. I must see others fail."
    (Courtesy of Muffins)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •