Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default LA blocks new fast-food outlets from poor areas

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g..._bGOwD928749G5

LOS ANGELES (AP) — City officials are putting South Los Angeles on a diet.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to place a moratorium on new fast food restaurants in an impoverished swath of the city with a proliferation of such eateries and above average rates of obesity.

The yearlong moratorium is intended to give the city time to attract restaurants that serve healthier food. The action, which the mayor must still sign into law, is believed to be the first of its kind by a major city to protect public health.

"Our communities have an extreme shortage of quality foods," City Councilman Bernard Parks said.
    Interesting to say the least.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Capricious View Post

Interesting to say the least.
    indeed, quite interesting. I think its a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallefred View Post
    Do you know how hard it is to get your penis into a 9 year old vagina? He was doing something difficult for God, I think you should respect that. Even if you don't follow his beliefs, Muhammed was sacrificing himself for something he believed in.

3000+

Why don't they just pass a law against obesity and if you are in violation of that law you get 90 days to show improvement and if you get cited a second time you get sent to a labor camp.
    Defeater of Kebek

Quote Originally Posted by Teutates View Post
    Basically Israel aka jews make up for most of your [American] economy.
    Lethn: I love Anime so fucking hard!

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    Why don't they just pass a law against obesity and if you are in violation of that law you get 90 days to show improvement and if you get cited a second time you get sent to a labor camp.
    WoW would lose more than half its player base and DFO would not even have a chance.

Ghosts of War

Groove
    Neek

6000+

Bah.

Next they'll be saying obesity is a disease and then psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies will have another cash cow since ADD and bi-polar drug sales and therapies are dwindling.

When is someone just going to finally call bullshit?
    <a href=http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif target=_blank>http://unitedpirates.org/images/mysig.gif</a>

Forumfall: Flames we can believe in...

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Crunk View Post
    WoW would lose more than half its player base and DFO would not even have a chance.
    There can be broadband at the labor camp as a reward.
    Defeater of Kebek

5000+

because in the United States, you have the freedom to be a fat, slovenly piece of shit that never gets to have sex.

its not like the people in those neighborhoods cant walk to where there IS fastfood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin
    "Ignorance begets confidence, more so than does knowledge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt
    UK made Saudi Arabia a monarchy so they could take over the middle east

3000+

Yeah, like people should be asked how to treat their body.
    If you're fat it's your problem, not your neighbour's and even the state one.
    If you smoke, it's your problem not your state.
    If you drink alcohol, it's your problem.
    If you do drugs, it's your problem.

If this kind of thing is what you like, what about : only dietetic meals made exactly for you are authorized, you must go to some gym every day for x hours of personnal training. Want to be a robot ? Be my guest. But don't force your views on others. And don't whine when you die at 120 after a perfect robot life while people like me enjoy shorter but more enjoyable life and die at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    I stumble home drunk at 4am frequently, my sprinklers come on at 4:30 and scare the shit out of me when I'm trying to find my keys.

Banned

Cities are free to do what they want, but its still stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrik View Post
    because in the United States, you have the freedom to be a fat, slovenly piece of shit that never gets to have sex.

its not like the people in those neighborhoods cant walk to where there IS fastfood.
    Fat people, as a rule, don't walk.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Marrik View Post
    but but, they cant walk because they are fat LUL

edit; go away kordoyn

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Arkh View Post

If this kind of thing is what you like, what about : only dietetic meals made exactly for you are authorized, you must go to some gym every day for x hours of personnal training. Want to be a robot ? Be my guest. But don't force your views on others. And don't whine when you die at 120 after a perfect robot life while people like me enjoy shorter but more enjoyable life and die at 50.
    I agree, I was pointing out the logical end-result of this line of thought. Why not just outlaw fat?
    Defeater of Kebek

3000+

I agree, I was pointing out the logical end-result of this line of thought. Why not just outlaw fat?
    Or simply, why not ban procreation : being born is the first step to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    I stumble home drunk at 4am frequently, my sprinklers come on at 4:30 and scare the shit out of me when I'm trying to find my keys.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Arkh View Post

It is a problem because fat people costs millions of dollars in medical expenses and that isn't good when you have universal health-care like in Canada. In fact, They should ban smoking and being fat in Canada. Save us some money.
    Last edited by Gaal; 07-30-2008 at 21:51.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallefred View Post
    Do you know how hard it is to get your penis into a 9 year old vagina? He was doing something difficult for God, I think you should respect that. Even if you don't follow his beliefs, Muhammed was sacrificing himself for something he believed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaal View Post
    indeed, quite interesting. I think its a step in the right direction.
    You think its a step in the right direction that the government step in and tell people what they can and cant eat and restrict their access to the only kind of food they might be able to afford???

In any case its none of the governments fuckng business what you eat and dont eat.. the market should decide that. If these people were that concerned they wouldnt shop there. If they wanted high quality food, "healthy" and could afford it.. the demand would create supply.. no need for artifical manipulation.