Hybrid View

" People who never buy software aren't lost sales."

That pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Normal User

Nice article only dissapointed that he didn't mention that most pirates will instead of pirating actually buy from small companies who don't use cd-protection on principle and pirate games from companies like EA. So actually having no "protection" on your software lessens the effect of pirates on your sales. I know I will never buy games like spore now that I know of the 3 times per use crap even though I do have respect for maxis, sad really .
    "Violence is the last refuge for the incompetent" ~ Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Ovtivon View Post
    Nice article only dissapointed that he didn't mention that most pirates will instead of pirating actually buy from small companies who don't use cd-protection on principle and pirate games from companies like EA. So actually having no "protection" on your software lessens the effect of pirates on your sales. I know I will never buy games like spore now that I know of the 3 times per use crap even though I do have respect for maxis, sad really .
    This is very true. I didn't buy Bioshock because of it and I probably won't buy Spore either. It's a shame really since the developers did such a wonderful job with it and i would have gladly paid for it.

2000+

I swear this thread has already been on this forum, just under a different link. Anyway, what do I care.

I don't think that simply because a game has CD protection, it gets pirated. You have to look at how good it is and whether or not the casual gamer will like it (the person who does like games, but doesn't know enough about the internet to just go to a torrent). Annoying CD protection is shit, but it isn't likely to inspire a load of people to simply download it instead of buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    While proper spelling and grammar are not essential for posting on a forum, it does help to stop you coming across as the local village idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septus View Post
    He's not a fucking candy dispenser. If you say something useful, he'll discuss. If you act like a fucking retard, he'll troll you to magnify your idiocy.

7000+

Quite old. http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=53225
    This article is provided inside the article linked from my thread ;D

3000+

Ha!

The List

Quote Originally Posted by Mippoose View Post
    He dropped the muthafuckin hammer on your head.

Paralda ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeblebrox View Post
    Forget about your beta spot! Worry about your spot in Paralda's list!

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Paralda View Post
    Ha!
    Only a fool quotes himself!

The List

Quote Originally Posted by Mippoose View Post
    He dropped the muthafuckin hammer on your head.

Paralda ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeblebrox View Post
    Forget about your beta spot! Worry about your spot in Paralda's list!

2000+

it's the stuff that isn't good enough to pay money for that gets pirated the most. a friend of mine *cough* will usually buy anything he really wants, but if it isn't worth the money he'll just download it. i would imagine it's the same way with a lot of people, although i know some people who just don't think anything is worth the money if you can get it free.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    The Darkfall community has always been a source of good feedback, constructive criticism, and inspiration for the Darkfall developers and we'll keep it that way by doing away with the non-constructive elements.
    JTT - Never Forget 10-18-08

Doesn't Spore have some insane protection that will only inconvinience people who pay for it? I've bought games and then bypassed copy protection because it is a pain in the ass. If I have to do the same for Spore I will probably just avoid it.

I was looking forward to it too.