View Poll Results: Do you turn up the brightness settings in FPS games?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; I turn up the brightness is almost every game

14 26.92%
  • Yes; I'll turn up the brightness only if the game is unusually dark

13 25.00%
  • No; I generally leave the brightness settings at the default level

24 46.15%
  • No; I usually turn down the brightness

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default FPS Gamers - Brightness Settings

I have an interest in knowing if the majority first person gamers increase their brightness when configuring their graphical settings.

So, when you start up a game and are doing the standard reconfiguring of controls / video settings do you turn up the brightness / gamma settings?

/edit: in respect to playing games online. Also, option 1 should read "in almost"
    Last edited by SentrySteve; 06-20-2008 at 22:36.

1000+

Honestly, I enjoy the atmosphere that darkness can instill, even if it makes the game harder. It's just stupid to change visual settings in this manner unless the game is virtually unplayable otherwise.

Moreover, there is absolutely no reason to do this in a single-player game. The darkness in there is supposed to increase the fear factor and challenge the player. In a multiplayer game, it is really shallow and dishonourable to do so. People take games way too seriously when it comes to cheating or doing stuff like this.

Tengri Gorukhan - Orkish Wizard and Knave
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedicake View Post
    /humped

errr I mean /signed

Normal User

I have what some people have told me is unusually keen eyesight in the dark. But there are some games where I have to turn up the Brightness/Gamma because the game shadows everything so much and distorts the vision to actually hamper the visual perspective in preference of the Game Vs the Player.

IMHO.

Best,

Phae
    "Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? You think that’s air you’re breathing now?" -- Morpheus
    "Whoever isn't afraid to get on the biggest horse gets to be Marshal"
    >>Click Here<<

8000+

nr 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viranth View Post
    Welcome to OT, your 15 minutes are up.

Blood of Kings Leader
    13,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Froed View Post
    Honestly, I enjoy the atmosphere that darkness can instill, even if it makes the game harder. It's just stupid to change visual settings in this manner unless the game is virtually unplayable otherwise.

Moreover, there is absolutely no reason to do this in a single-player game. The darkness in there is supposed to increase the fear factor and challenge the player. In a multiplayer game, it is really shallow and dishonourable to do so. People take games way too seriously when it comes to cheating or doing stuff like this.
    Anyone who gets scared from a video game, or movie for that matter is girly man... Or I'm sorry, testicularly deficient...

Seriously, its a game, there aren't really monsters in the hallway trying to kill you.

So whether its bright, dark, cloudy, creamy, fuzzy, foggy, or full of color, its not gonna be scarey to me.

I usually turn the gamma up, but leave the brightness alone. This leaves the "dark" in place, but allows me to see into it a little better.

Banned

Always in FPS games.

4000+

I also enjoy what darkness can do for a game, but if I am getting competitive like CS then yes I do. On my computer atleast a gamma increase was needed. My buddies comp looks bright enough for him to not have to adjust when he first installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jangang View Post
    Anyone who gets scared from a video game, or movie for that matter is girly man... Or I'm sorry, testicularly deficient...

Seriously, its a game, there aren't really monsters in the hallway trying to kill you.

So whether its bright, dark, cloudy, creamy, fuzzy, foggy, or full of color, its not gonna be scarey to me.

I usually turn the gamma up, but leave the brightness alone. This leaves the "dark" in place, but allows me to see into it a little better.
    So if you played halflife the level where using your flashlight sparingly was the mainstay, you just turned up the brightness and ran thru it?

Not saying i get scared or anything just saying thats an entire facet of the game you didnt get to experience.
    Last edited by akrippler; 06-20-2008 at 23:16.

8000+

I find horror games or movies only to get scary if I allow them to get to me...

I played doom 3 some months ago, remembering it as scary when I was at a friends house, I watched while he played... Soo I hooked my pc to my TV screen, turned down the lights and increased the sound for maximum effect.

I got boored after a few houers, and it wasn't because I rememberd what was gonna happen, I was just koncentrating to much on my next kill and that was that.

I guess I should try silent hill, but to be honest, horror games has never been my thing.

Ofcourse I had invited 2 friends over soo that might have something to do with it aswell, dunno realy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viranth View Post
    Welcome to OT, your 15 minutes are up.

Banned

If the game is dark, it's most likely meant to be dark. I almost always keep it at default settings.

IRC Moderator

I'll generally only turn up the brightness to the intended level, as determined by those bars of grey that are usually in the video settings and brightness area.
    ~ Lieal Demelein

Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine.
    In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

abcxyz

Blood of Kings Leader
    13,000+

I suppose that back when I was playing a lot of FPS games I had an older monitor that was kinda dark on its own. Turning the Gamma up was sorta needed to see at all in the darker parts of games.

4000+

I just play the game. There, thats it.

5000+

I generally use the default settings.

Killer 106.67% Socializer 46.67% Explorer 6o% Achiever 13.33%

As I hear the curses and growls of my enemies I cant help but smile, they actually thought I'd fight fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paro
    Xinnro can go to hell.

3000+ Long term follower

I have a suggestion for a poll: "do you have an old CRT monitor?" yes, no.

Normal User

most FPS players (online multiplayer types) don't turn the brightness up b/c they're scared... they turn it up so they an kill people trying to hide in the shadows.
    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD]Dhal View Post
    people will flame, it's a forum...i'm pretty sure everyone's accustomed to that by now. if not, get the fuck over it... why don't you cry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by [LoD]EE View Post
    “.".