Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    14,000+

Your body was oily.

5000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Xinnro View Post
    How does that pertain to oil or rhinestone purses?
    You can't figure this one out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpig
    I do know a guy that used to fight gorillas in cage matches

Tides of Darkness Clan Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Fylraen View Post
    You can't figure this one out?
    I just want you to say it.
    Xinnro

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    Xinnro, could you take a picture of yourself with the camera facing the side of your head and your tongue sticking out (Straight not curved)?

From what i've read, the oil companies don't make that much profit at all. In fact, their profit margin is only around 8% which is the average for large corporations. They only produce lots of profit because a whole bunch of people use oil for cars, appliances etc. every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther TheBlack View Post
    Put on a string then! Or tuck your undies between your butt cheeks.

1000+ Long term follower

An approximation of the breakdown of the cost of gas.

Taxes: 11%
    Distribution/Marketing: 6%
    Refining: 10%
    Crude Oil: 73%

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

5000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgy_Neeples View Post
    From what i've read, the oil companies don't make that much profit at all. In fact, their profit margin is only around 8% which is the average for large corporations. They only produce lots of profit because a whole bunch of people use oil for cars, appliances etc. every day.
    You're absolutely right. My issue with the situation is that the world runs on oil, even so far as to having been engineered to run exclusively on oil. Fuck with the price of oil and you fuck with the price of basically everything else. If we were talking about spaghetti strainers or some other consumable I'd be laughing about the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpig
    I do know a guy that used to fight gorillas in cage matches

25,000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Fylraen View Post
    Matriel: "Economics" is not a panacea. There are plenty of situations (most, in fact), where economic "rules" don't apply, because humans aren't machines. Look into behavioral economics, it's an interesting field. edit to add: it's not like I know a ton about it, have poked around at literally just a couple books, it's just interesting.
    Eh, I don't think it's a cure. I just think most people don't understand it at all. Things like tax people who make profits and gank us just means more costs returned to us. This kinda stuff is pretty standard, but most people don't get it. Or are so emotionally caught up in the big bad evil companies that they refuse to get it.

Not that they aren't fuckheads that need to lose subsidies, but that's not my point.
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure."
    --Robert LeFevre

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Die in a fire of poor people.
    TRSA

14,000+

Oil companies are in a oligopolistic industry since there are 5 companies which hold the majority market share. So naturally they have market power and a higher barriers of entry to the industry. Also these oligopolies are in heavy competition so if one first has a price set high the others will follow suit in order to avoid the offset of a price war. So naturally prices are staying high because of additional outside conditions which aren't necessarily in their control. For example the increase in the prices of the resources/commodities in which they use for the manufacturing of the product. This is mainly being brought on by the inflation we currently have in the country. While not as grave as the supply shocks of the 70s it is enough to start large changes in price of oil. I'm not sure what the situation is with OPEC though. Also naturally this comes about from easy credit since this also has given the recent spur in investors decisions to invest in commodities which also causes the sharp increase in prices. I won't go into the monetary part since you won't like it

How is Oil market free if.... it's basically monopoly!
    OPEC is not free market. Rest of oil producers not better. It's mostly state control like in Mexico and Venezuela or mafia control like in Russia.
    What kind of free market is this if major Oil producers in OPEC and openly use oil as weapon to achieve political goals?

Other thing. How gas prices at pumps react so fast to crude oil price?
    Do not oil companies have contracts on oil? At list short term like 1 year?

Something very fishy about all this oil business. Sure demands on oil grow and so on other natural resources but I doubt it jump of oil price proportional to demand. I also wandering why Bush administration has not done anything.
    Have they build or start building refineries? Or atomic stations? Or drill of shore? Fishy, very fishy
    Greywind UO/DAoC/SB/L2/WoW/DFO

12,000+

i musta forgot to pick up the "Economics and you" book that was given out when you are born. Man this shit makes my head hurt hahaha.

Skree

Quote Originally Posted by Protonix
    I won't just be looking. I'm clearly planning to fap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    I really don't care about jews or the sand people. I think they should just have an epic battle on dantooine to settle this all.