Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Quebec Law

1000+

but I have no right to dictate what others can or cannot do with their own bodies
    Yeah, you do. You have the right to expect me not to find you and beat the hell out of you for no good reason.

You own your body, and thus you are free to do with it as you will.
    Except when you use that body in a way that endangers others. You don't have that right; that's why there are laws punishing misbehavior.

Impairing your judgment is fine. If it affects me, I have the right to stop it. We outlawed pot because stoned people are idiots, and idiots get themselves and others hurt.

Every pot user I've ever talked to has had similar experiences. One hit can get some people high for hours. One joint is always enough to get someone ripped. One beer is good for a few minutes buzz for a majority of folks. There's no such thing as a light buzz with pot smokers. It's sober, or varying levels of stoned. I suppose a tiny little whiff every now and then over the period of a few hours could be compared to drinking beer, but I don't think it's fucking likely to happen in real life.

At best, I would tolerate it being decriminalized. I would never support recreational legalization, because I don't want to deal with a bunch of stoned idiots out in public every day. Sober people are retarded enough.

If you haven't been stoned, you don't have a clue wtf you're talking about. There's no common point of reference, other than the universal effects of intoxication (poor judgment, slowed physical reactions, slowed mental processes, lack of inhibitions.)

It feels good. It's scary and a rush, because you don't have control. You're on autopilot, making suggestions, but with no real ability to consciously control your actions or thoughts or words. Everything important stops mattering. You're enveloped in a wonderful haze of well-being.

Try explaining the sensation of an orgasm to a virgin, sometime. There's no possible way to understand the sensation until you've experienced it.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Malhavok View Post
    Well, not really. The DEA conducts frequent raids and seizes the property of both marijuana clinics as well as private citizens in California, one of those states with medicinal marijuana programs, as well as pressing charges. Generally you're looking at months to decades imprisonment for possession, cultivation, or sale of marijuana for medicinal uses approved by the California.

http://www.canorml.org/news/fedmmjcases.html
    The DEA is federal. It's legal in many states to use marijuana under the right circumstances. Federal law is enforced every once in a while to try and force these states to repeal their laws, but it has had the opposite effect causing more states to legalize it. And in the cases where the DEA is raiding clinics in California is when the legal status is in question. They don't raid the clinics and growers they can not prove are growing or selling outside the allowance of the law.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/calimarijuana.html

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Tug View Post
    Yeah, you do. You have the right to expect me not to find you and beat the hell out of you for no good reason.

Except when you use that body in a way that endangers others. You don't have that right; that's why there are laws punishing misbehavior.

Impairing your judgment is fine. If it affects me, I have the right to stop it. We outlawed pot because stoned people are idiots, and idiots get themselves and others hurt.

Every pot user I've ever talked to has had similar experiences. One hit can get some people high for hours. One joint is always enough to get someone ripped. One beer is good for a few minutes buzz for a majority of folks. There's no such thing as a light buzz with pot smokers. It's sober, or varying levels of stoned. I suppose a tiny little whiff every now and then over the period of a few hours could be compared to drinking beer, but I don't think it's fucking likely to happen in real life.

At best, I would tolerate it being decriminalized. I would never support recreational legalization, because I don't want to deal with a bunch of stoned idiots out in public every day. Sober people are retarded enough.

If you haven't been stoned, you don't have a clue wtf you're talking about. There's no common point of reference, other than the universal effects of intoxication (poor judgment, slowed physical reactions, slowed mental processes, lack of inhibitions.)

It feels good. It's scary and a rush, because you don't have control. You're on autopilot, making suggestions, but with no real ability to consciously control your actions or thoughts or words. Everything important stops mattering. You're enveloped in a wonderful haze of well-being.

Try explaining the sensation of an orgasm to a virgin, sometime. There's no possible way to understand the sensation until you've experienced it.
    Ninety pound chicks get buzzed off one beer, any self-respecting guy has to knock back at least a couple before they feel it. If you actually get any sort of buzz of one 12oz beer you're a serious lightweight. On the other hand knock back even a small bottle of Everclear. The point? You don't have to smoke a whole joint. You can take a hit. If a hit gets you "I'm fucked up man" then take a smaller one. It's not rocket science.

And I don't know where this "don't have a care in the world everything is all happy-goodness haze" stuff is coming from. I've had good highs and highs were I'm paranoid as hell. I've never once thought that everything important stopped mattering while high on marijuana. No wonder you can't control yourself. That sounds more like the high I'd describe from acid except instead of everything that matters becomes even more important and not less.
    Last edited by Malhavok; 06-05-2008 at 10:10.

1000+

So because you're basically incapable of keeping your life from being destroyed by a drug that is heavily used by many of the brightest and most successful people you come to the conclusion that it should be illegal because no one can use it responsibly. Interesting.
    Because I've never met a pot smoker (and I've met dozens, if not hundreds) capable of keeping his or her life together while stoned all the time. And the longer they smoked, the more often they smoked. I was, and am, perfectly capable of sitting back and saying "gee, I think I'll stop being stoned all the time, because pot makes blithering idiots out of people."

Pot isn't a gateway drug of itself, but Pot culture makes it a gateway to other drugs. Dealer networks are never functional, healthy, happy groups. You're 2 degrees of separation from someone who's doing meth or heroin, almost guaranteed, whether you're an upper class yuppy dude or a stoner flipping burgers.

Ninety pound chicks get buzzed off one beer, any self-respecting guy has to knock back at least a couple before they feel it. If you actually get any sort of buzz of one 12oz beer you're a serious lightweight. On the other hand knock back even a small bottle of Everclear. The point? You don't have to smoke a whole joint. You can take a hit. If a hit gets you "I'm fucked up man" then take a smaller one. It's not rocket science.
    Moderate use in a responsible way is possible under tightly controlled circumstances. Go camping or stay home for a weekend and don't let yourself drive, etc, hey, I don't have a problem with that. As long as you don't have a kid or an elderly person to take care of (at least, gramps better be getting his turn at the hookah.) It's not rocket science, but who the fuck is going to take a little whiff of smoke and be satisfied? Add in peer pressure, because taking a tiny little hit makes you look like a pussy.

Random, oh lets get a joint at the bar, common consumption similar to the way people get drunk... uh, no. That's inviting all sorts of disaster.

And I don't know where this "don't have a care in the world everything is all happy-goodness haze" stuff is coming from. I've had good highs and highs were I'm paranoid as hell. I've never once thought that everything important stopped mattering while high on marijuana.
    Every other pot smoker I've ever met has agreed with the "general feeling of well being." I used to call them my Golden Moments. And yes, I've been paranoid as fuck as well. And talked to my shoes, my first time.

Haven't you ever seen a kid neglected by a stoner dad? The stuff that should be important doesn't have as big an impact as it should.

But.

You're being argumentative for no good reason. Go smoke a bowl, hippie.

6000+ Long term follower

Because I've never met a pot smoker (and I've met dozens, if not hundreds) capable of keeping his or her life together while stoned all the time. And the longer they smoked, the more often they smoked. I was, and am, perfectly capable of sitting back and saying "gee, I think I'll stop being stoned all the time, because pot makes blithering idiots out of people."
    I've never met anyone in my life who has kept their life together all the time. As much as it may shock you to hear this just about every functional person has also sat back and said the same thing. "Gee I think I drank too much last night and now I have a massive hang over... I should stop drinking so much" != alcohol needs to be criminalized. Hell, I've done stupid things when sober. Either you're advocating that living must be a criminal activity because it can make you behave like an idiot or you're being a hypocrite. Which is it?

Pot isn't a gateway drug of itself, but Pot culture makes it a gateway to other drugs. Dealer networks are never functional, healthy, happy groups. You're 2 degrees of separation from someone who's doing meth or heroin, almost guaranteed, whether you're an upper class yuppy dude or a stoner flipping burgers.
    I guess I never considered that a problem. I've never been farther than 1 degree of separation from people who were doing meth and heroin and I've never used nor been inclined to use the stuff in my life. For anyone with some self-control knowing someone who is a user doesn't mean you must become one yourself.

Moderate use in a responsible way is possible under tightly controlled circumstances. Go camping or stay home for a weekend and don't let yourself drive, etc, hey, I don't have a problem with that. As long as you don't have a kid or an elderly person to take care of (at least, gramps better be getting his turn at the hookah.) It's not rocket science, but who the fuck is going to take a little whiff of smoke and be satisfied? Add in peer pressure, because taking a tiny little hit makes you look like a pussy.
    And no you're contradicting yourself. I thought it was "not something you can do and maintain a reasonable expectation of being able to behave responsibly"? How can you have no problem doing something that isn't reasonably possible to do responsibly? I've gone and fucked up the rotation because I had things I had to do, but then I guess that gets back to the whole having some degree of self-control and not being such a pussy that you cave in to every incident of peer pressure because you're too afraid of being perceived as one.

Every other pot smoker I've ever met has agreed with the "general feeling of well being." I used to call them my Golden Moments. And yes, I've been paranoid as fuck as well. And talked to my shoes, my first time.
    It's not the general feeling of euphoria I find perplexing. It's the ceasing to care about everything important. Never had that happen. I've talked to more than a few toilet rims when drunk.

Haven't you ever seen a kid neglected by a stoner dad? The stuff that should be important doesn't have as big an impact as it should.
    Yup. I've also seen an EQ addict do the same thing. My own dad was a workaholic. Great when he was there, but mostly absent. And I haven't smoked in hmm three years?

My advice is that if you can't handle being disagreed with you refrain from stating your anecdotal experiences as the be all end all truth. It may very well be that you are incapable of smoking pot without your life going up in flames. I neither know nor care if this is true. What I do know is true is that plenty of people are capable of doing so. In general people will always try and tell you that because they cannot do something it is impossible, even when all they need do is open their eyes and see it occurring all around them. If you can't handle having that poignantly pointed out to you and feel I'm being overly confrontational and combative merely because I strongly disagree that's frankly your problem.
    Last edited by Malhavok; 06-05-2008 at 11:17.

12,000+

Smoking pot causes cancer, not as badly as cigarettes,
    case study please or gtfo

Quote Originally Posted by Protonix
    I won't just be looking. I'm clearly planning to fap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    I really don't care about jews or the sand people. I think they should just have an epic battle on dantooine to settle this all.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Kyur View Post
    you have 11,000 posts.

And pot is not legal anymore in canada, it's tolerated.

80% of Canada smokes pot.
    I thought "pot" was legal in some places in canada? There are websites you can buy it of in canada, unless they are illegal.
    Last edited by killerchicken; 06-05-2008 at 12:26.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by killerchicken View Post
    I thought "pot" was legal in some places in canada? There are websites you can buy it of in canada, unless they are illegal.
    Well the way the law works is there are "Illegal" actions, "legal" actions and then there are "Illegal, but unenforced" actions. For instance. It is technically illegal to drive your car at night in Florida unless you have someone on a white horse with a lantern leading it by at least 20 ft. This law is of course never enforced and is an extreme example of a law that has become socially outdated, but not removed from the books. This is the general attitude toward marijuana in many places, Amsterdam included. However the blanket label of "illegal" does not apply to marijuana anymore than it applies to alcohol. Both are legal and illegal depending on the circumstances surrounding their acquisition and use. If you are 20 years old in most states, you can not legally purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages, however you can possess and consume medicines containing alcohol and some of those cough medicines have around 40% alcohol content. Marijuana is not an illegal drug. It is a controlled substance with legal uses that can be used illegally, so is any prescription drug, so are cigarettes, alcoholic beverages and many other things.

5000+

Wtf you guys are talking about, the OP asked if it was legal in Quebec, wich means No! No for topless girls walking around, the pot is tolerated in small quantity like 3g. You can't have like 300 plants in your basement and they won't do shit. Keep dreaming.

PS. I live in Quebec.
    Last edited by Slaker; 06-05-2008 at 13:16.
    Hope, progress, and growth spring from the crypt of realized fallacies

[LoD]

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Slaker View Post
    Wtf you guys are talking about, the OP asked if it was legal in Quebec, wich means No! No for topless girls walking around, the pot is tolerated in small quantity like 3g. You can't have a like 300 plants in your basement and they won't do shit. Keep dreaming.

PS. I live in Quebec.
    It is fairly clear that it is in fact legal in Quebec and has been for over a decade. I haven't found any information about the repeal of this law. It also is legal in many communities in the U.S. including N.Y.

And of course at least in the U.S. a woman may bare her breast anywhere if she is breast feeding a child and any action taken to force her to cover up, move, stop feeding or admonishment for her exposure can get you tied up in litigation for oh about 6 trillion years. I think the flight attendant that kicked the lady off a plane for breast feeding was sent to Guantanamo bay as an enemy combatant.
    Last edited by MandorRook; 06-05-2008 at 13:27.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by MandorRook View Post
    It is fairly clear that it is in fact legal in Quebec and has been for over a decade. I haven't found any information about the repeal of this law. It also is legal in many communities in the U.S. including N.Y.

And of course at least in the U.S. a woman may bare her breast anywhere if she is breast feeding a child and any action taken to force her to cover up, move, stop feeding or admonishment for her exposure can get you tied up in litigation for oh about 6 trillion years. I think the flight attendant that kicked the lady off a plane for breast feeding was sent to Guantanamo bay as an enemy combatant.
    Yeah come here for fun with your women and let her walk topless. And EVEN if it might be legal wich I doubt there is not a single woman walking topless. Ontario doesnt = Quebec.
    Last edited by Slaker; 06-05-2008 at 13:31.

[LoD]

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Slaker View Post
    Yeah come here for fun with your women and let her walk topless. And EVEN if it might be legal wich I doubt there is not a single woman walking topless. Ontario doesnt = Quebec.
    Ah you're right, I got Ontario and Quebec mixed up.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by MandorRook View Post
    Ah you're right, I got Ontario and Quebec mixed up.
    Ah :P Well its ok lol a lot of ppl get mixed up with Quebec and Ontario. Anyway Ontario yeah its legal like Zanzibar said. But Quebec I doubt...well I havent seen a single woman walking topless in 19 years. Except my girl friend

[LoD]