Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The stamina issue

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Game Designer

Default The stamina issue

In the spirit of transparency and open communication we would like to explain the process that led to the stamina issue.

Firstly, Primalist robes were the least used armours in the game, so we were trying to find a way to increase their desirability. While exploring possible solutions, we came across the stamina regeneration being disabled while sprinting issue, and thought that enabling this would also have a bonus effect of increasing Primalist armor usage. So we experimented with enabling this option, and we had mixed results.

On one end characters that were wearing Primalist armours and used food, had a net gain on stamina even while sprinting. While this may be desirable for these armours, we were unsure if that change would make them an overwhelmingly popular choice. On the other end, characters without food and without wearing Primalist armours would see their stamina bar, especially when it was full, drop much faster than before.

We experimented with some values in combat situations in the allotted testing time, and came to the, in retrospect, premature conclusion that these values were an acceptable initial implementation. As we mentioned in the patch notes, these values were subject to change depending on your feedback, so today we will be applying a patch to address the issue.

In light of your feedback and of the complexity of the problem as well as the upcoming siege engines patch, we decided to alleviate the issue by setting stamina consumption for sprinting to 40% cheaper than its pre-patch value, as well as revert the change done to stamina regeneration while sprinting.

Please regard this change as a temporary necessity, while we thoroughly explore possible options and values for this issue.

We would also like to address the issue of the changes that were presented to the MVP forum but did not make it in this patch. As stated in the relevant thread, perhaps not too clearly, all the proposed changes were presented as discussion topics and to gather player feedback. We included what we could in this patch with the rest of the changes being in the evaluation/implementation phase at the moment.

In closing, we regret causing distress to the community, but do believe us when we say that all changes done were due to our eagerness to please you, even though in this case it seems that the effect was the exact opposite.

Thank you.

Thanks for a quick fix. Keep on making progress. You guys have done an excellent job lately and we all notice it.

Now nerf sprit bond so it's aim-able. Think quake lightning ray.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Jonah[fataLity
    Still wish I was retarded.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Sage View Post
    Please regard this change as a temporary necessity, while we thoroughly explore possible options and values for this issue.
    Enchanting?
    Last edited by Lucan_Nylade; 08-01-2014 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucan_Nylade View Post
    Enchanting?
    I believe enchanting is on the list after siege engines and quests. I would like to see enchanting/transmutes in the game, though; it added a level of customization that would be welcomed.
    DFO: Loupen Swiftpaw | DFUW: Sun Praiser | Vargashi Blademaster | Crypt Blacksword

Best PvPer in DFO, UW, Ultima Online, and any other game I haven't played.

2000+

imo you guys were on the right track, giving prima gear a substantially better regen bonus, just the hit was too hard for all other armours
    Quake3 + excessive mod, Team Arena + excessive mod, UT StrikeForce mod, MoHAA, CoD, NWN - Badlands, Gunz international + EU, Darkfall, APB:R, DF:UW, PS:2

Gaming online since 1999.

In closing, we regret causing distress to the community, but do believe us when we say that all changes done were due to our eagerness to please you, even though in this case it seems that the effect was the exact opposite.
    I think I could speak for the vast majority of the player base, that we do not want stats draining faster.

It would please us if you increase the TTK, not reduce it by making our stats deplete quickly.
    Kurise LXV

Quote Originally Posted by Kurise View Post
    I think I could speak for the vast majority of the player base, that we do not want stats draining faster.

It would please us if you increase the TTK, not reduce it by making our stats deplete quickly.
    I would just like to be fighting the enemy more than fighting my stats, it's just more fun.
    DFO: Loupen Swiftpaw | DFUW: Sun Praiser | Vargashi Blademaster | Crypt Blacksword

Best PvPer in DFO, UW, Ultima Online, and any other game I haven't played.

Normal User

Why remove the buff on primalist armor?

I'm using primalist armor and I never ever loot any because no one else uses them.
    Please consider keeping some of the stamina regen while sprinting so that primalist armor isn't pointless again.

Normal User

Nice work, keep it up AV !

Normal User

I would just say this.

You nerfed EVERYBODY in order to buff a set of gear because you wanted to see it used?? This to me is insane logic. Impacting everybody in the game in a negative way, just to buff something, is bad.

How about BUFFING the set of gear, like I dunno, more magnitude when using primalist spells? Again completely off the cuff, just saying, make them more beneficial for primalist to use, afterall, they are called primalist robes for a reason no?

Nerfing bad, buffing good.
    Last edited by gwartham; 08-01-2014 at 11:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by prowess View Post
    Funny how the argument against a social order always boils down to the Pariahs crying that this game is just "not a game for you." How's that business model working out for AV?

Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Not a game for you.™

Normal User

Good enough for a temporary fix. Prime robes going back to the closet for a while tho

[FR]Regional Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Sage View Post
    In the spirit of transparency and open communication we would like to explain the process that led to the stamina issue.

Firstly, Primalist robes were the least used armours in the game, so we were trying to find a way to increase their desirability. While exploring possible solutions, we came across the stamina regeneration being disabled while sprinting issue, and thought that enabling this would also have a bonus effect of increasing Primalist armor usage. So we experimented with enabling this option, and we had mixed results.

On one end characters that were wearing Primalist armours and used food, had a net gain on stamina even while sprinting. While this may be desirable for these armours, we were unsure if that change would make them an overwhelmingly popular choice. On the other end, characters without food and without wearing Primalist armours would see their stamina bar, especially when it was full, drop much faster than before.

We experimented with some values in combat situations in the allotted testing time, and came to the, in retrospect, premature conclusion that these values were an acceptable initial implementation. As we mentioned in the patch notes, these values were subject to change depending on your feedback, so today we will be applying a patch to address the issue.

In light of your feedback and of the complexity of the problem as well as the upcoming siege engines patch, we decided to alleviate the issue by setting stamina consumption for sprinting to 40% cheaper than its pre-patch value, as well as revert the change done to stamina regeneration while sprinting.

We would also like to address the issue of the changes that were presented to the MVP forum but did not make it in this patch. As stated in the relevant thread, perhaps not too clearly, all the proposed changes were presented as discussion topics and to gather player feedback. We included what we could in this patch with the rest of the changes being in the evaluation/implementation phase at the moment.

Thank you.
    so light armor is back to being useless?

It seems pretty simple to me. keep it like it was after the patch but change the values so that primalist armor has a net gain when ONLY sprinting and non primalist robe wearers barely lose any stam while sprinting and having food. -1 stam every 6 seconds for non heavy robe wearing users sprinting with food is perfectly fine.

Everyone used food in DFO why should it be different in this game?

How about BUFFING the set of gear, like I dunno, more magnitude when using primalist spells? Again completely off the cuff, just saying, make them more beneficial for primalist to use, afterall, they are called primalist robes for a reason no?
    they are called heavy robes now.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Del; 08-01-2014 at 12:05.

Normal User

ty for letting us know your position behind this, its a positive change regardless as we now know what doesn't work and can cross that off of the list and focus energy on the next possible solution. keep up the good work and keep the communication with your players coming.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by LPSP View Post
    I believe enchanting is on the list after siege engines and quests. I would like to see enchanting/transmutes in the game, though; it added a level of customization that would be welcomed.
    I think you misunderstood my one word post.

A nice enchant could remedy this issue completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Del View Post
    so light armor is back to being useless?
    Why light armor will be useless? Explain...

40% cheaper the drain of stamina. That's look good
    Last edited by Lyandritz; 08-01-2014 at 12:17.