Page 1 of 20 1211 ... LastLast

Default Regional Banking: A Guide For the Uninformed

Purpose of this Thread

The purpose of this thread will be discuss to the regional banking proposal found here:

as well as to organize past discussions on the topic in a manner that addresses common questions. My hope is that through this thread, AV will realize the need to install regional banking before the DF:UW launch, or at the very least, people will become more educated on the topic of regional banking.

Concerning Other Thread

Spoiler

Common Concerns Thus Far

Concern: Why would anyone sign on to a proposal where people lose their banks when their city gets taken?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: How will Regional Banking cater to players that can only play for 2 hours a day?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: If these changes were made, how would clans be able to participate in seiges across the map?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: Wouldn't it be easier to just remove instant travel to stop zergs from spreading across the map? Why do banks need to be regionalized as well?

Response:

Spoiler

Concern: Why would people support a proposal that causes noobs to get killed while transporting goods?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: So are you suggesting that noobs won't be getting wiped out transporting their goods? I keep hearing about people hiring mercs and such.

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: Why are moon gates only being added to starter cities? Wouldn't it be better to add them to all the chaos cities across the map, especially the subcontinents?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: Will this proposal weaken zergs ingame?

Response:
    Spoiler

Concern: So why is any of this needed?

Response:
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Zaffax; 09-27-2012 at 01:59.

www.DarkfallCE.webs.com
    The Champion of Regional Banking
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    Clap clap, Zaffax for president. The DF:UW that Zaffax is talking about is the one that I want to play.

Normal User

Excellent post. This definitely outlines all the positive effects that regional banking would have on Darkfall. I have one question though, under this system that you have proposed what would happen to alliances that controlled territory on the border of 2 different regions i.e. Western human lands and Easter Alfar Lands? Would there be some sort of connection between holdings that are next to each other to ensure that the clans banking system is connected? If not, I could imagine it would be very hard for a clan/alliance to expand their territory beyond the borders of the racial territory (assuming that is how the regions were defined).

1000+

I fear most DF players are so narrowly minded that they will never be able to possibly conceive the need for regional banking. They do not understand that regional banking promotes wars, or that it also helps populate the world with people as they try to move assets around. It is a shame really, because it would bring Darkfall into the age where an MMO the 'lives and breaths' rather than just a FPS Quake deathmatch title.

Its amazing watching the Eve Online universe breath and live on, you can simply go to some random highsec system and see travelers, haulers, miners and pvpers alike all moving around constantly. You can watch the markets 'breath in and out' as they naturally try to reach an equilibrium as prices for things one some areas go up while in others they are cheap. This spurs Industrialists and haulers to buy and sell and move items around, creating this world where everything seems alive, rather than one where everyone just sits inside a city and waits for pvp to come to them.

Its a shame, but maybe we need to start small. Possibly making it so certain items within the game are local based, such as ships/war hulks/cannons/siege stones. If only these few items were local based, we could then make it so they are very heavy, e.g. 400+ kg such that no one person could move with it in their backpack. This can then be solved by introducing caravans and trade ships, ships with inventory, that they could be moved with, in order to allow them to be hauled around the world.

This could be the basis for some wars, as its a given in time some clan will lose a city in a siege, without being able to get their ships/cannons/war hulks out of banks. In turn these clans will band together to try take these citys back to gain access to these items again.

Either way small changes need to start first, jumping right into regional/local banking will be too much of a shock to these FPS Quake noobs, who know nothing more than how to aim a cross-hair and click. I for one am all for regional or local, because I know how it impacts games, especially MMO's for the good.
    Last edited by spool; 09-27-2012 at 02:17.
    Clan Sick Bastards
    Lieutenant<SB>Darkfall
    Spool Lyger

http://i.imgur.com/4AAXE.png

9000+

Good write up
    Last edited by Keno; 09-27-2012 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by shamer gamer View Post
    I grow things for my income so I have lots of free time to play DF.
    Quote Originally Posted by bongloads View Post
    This entire community used to defend Darkfall. It was like a forum full of Tibernicus's. Now, 95% of darkfall vets on forums are completely negative. Something tells me the blame doesn't lie with the community.

Normal User

Keep the campaign up guys. If you're very very very very very very very very very very very very very very lucky AV will see your posts and if you're about 75x more lucky they'll take your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach-Attack!! View Post
    Excellent post. This definitely outlines all the positive effects that regional banking would have on Darkfall. I have one question though, under this system that you have proposed what would happen to alliances that controlled territory on the border of 2 different regions i.e. Western human lands and Easter Alfar Lands? Would there be some sort of connection between holdings that are next to each other to ensure that the clans banking system is connected? If not, I could imagine it would be very hard for a clan/alliance to expand their territory beyond the borders of the racial territory (assuming that is how the regions were defined).
    Let me address this question in two parts. First off, just so we are clear, when a clan hold two holdings in the same region, these city banks are not connected. As already stated, player cities are localized and can only withdraw items the were deposited within said city. Even so, items can be withdrawn from chaos cities within the region, regardless of where those items were deposited (so long as they were deposited somewhere in the region).

What you are asking however is if I own two adjacent cities that aren't in the same region (such as Kvitstein and Talpec), would the banks on these cities be linked. The short answer to this is no. This is a conscious decision to prevent exploitation along regional borders and to maintain clearly defined regional markets.
    Last edited by Zaffax; 09-27-2012 at 02:21.

www.DarkfallCE.webs.com
    Clap clap, Zaffax for president. The DF:UW that Zaffax is talking about is the one that I want to play.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffax View Post
    Let me address this question in two parts. First off, just so we are clear, when a clan hold two holdings in the same region, these city banks are not connected. As already stated, player cities are localized and can only withdraw items the were deposited within said city. Even so, items can be withdrawn from chaos cities within the region, regardless of where those items were deposited (so long ast hey were deposited somewhere in the region).

What you are asking however is if I own two adjacent cities that aren't in the same region (such as Kvitstein and Talpec), would the banks on these cities be linked. The short answer to this is no. This is a conscious decision to prevent exploitation along regional borders and to maintain clearly defined regional markets.
    Ahhhh okay, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I would totally be in favor of a system that works like this.

People keep using my talpec/Tolenque example

I at least contributed something.

I wholeheartedly agree with regional banking. Will it work? Will it give more sand in the sandbox? I think so.

Is it a for sure thing? Who knows. Its worked in other games.

The arguments against are ethereal, more along the lines of "it will ruin the game, no one will play, etc etc"

The arguments for posit some evidence (UO, SB, EVE) along with the ethereal arguments (it will save the game, it will put so much more sand in the sandbox)

Owyn Magnus
    Tyrant, Liar and all around Bad Person.

Normal User

We need this! Like the guy said a few posts above me.

In eve you enter a system theirs miners, traders, haulers, pvers, gankers.. All there.

Regional banking will create a similar system in darkfall.

1000+

Granted this is slightly off topic, but it still relates to banking. I feel another thing against global banking is when your city gets raided, the raiders can loot stuff and stick it in their own banks using the bank in a hostile city. I feel they shouldn't even have access to that specific bank. Granted, AV could just deny access to the hostile bank, whether in global or regional banking.

I want more of a "Sandbox" game. I don't need to play darkfall for pvp 24/7. There's other games for that.
    Last edited by Biaxil; 09-27-2012 at 02:39.
    AFFLICTION!!!

1000+ Long term follower

Looks good. Definitely warrants dev consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxil View Post
    I feel they shouldn't even have access to that specific bank.
    They don't. AV changed this a while ago.

www.DarkfallCE.webs.com

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffax View Post
    They don't. AV changed this a while ago.
    Cool, thanks. I've been out of the game for a year, but so excited to come back, if 2.0 is what I'm hoping itll be like.
    AFFLICTION!!!

Very good post, a game like that I could see playing for years, however if DF:UW continues like DF1 and promotes globalization and unreal expansionism amongst clans, completely destroying a possible economy and meaningful seiges and pvp. I wont stay long. I can enjoy such fps pvp action from PS2 or Call of Duty. I play an MMO to experience all the suggestions above; features found in Eve and UO, features that were promised in DF1 years ago.

Thanks for posting. I want regional banking. I don't want insta-travel.

Any word from the dev team on how they are leaning here?