This pretty much sums up everything I was going to say:
I would actually like to comment on this, because many people here don't realise the MAJOR benefits of what Keno says here.
Lets assume the following features: (Additions)
Faster ships, meaningful roads, regional and localized game, less or no instant travel
We will have MEANINGFUL and warranted use of ships, clans, organisations and players will have to actually USE ships to transport certain, and heavy, goods from point A to B.
- Clans/organisations offering transporting services can exist.
- Piracy can exist.
- Ship versus ship combat can exist.
- Clans living solely on sea can exist.
- Cities with harbors WILL ACTUALLY MEAN SOMETHING!
This is all meaningful, and is a direct effect of the necessity to transport goods by ship, instead of the artificially induced ship battles Aventurine created with sea towers! (Cookie cutter)
ACTUAL player driven trade routes will start to exist! Once again out of necessity instead of the artificial (and failed) trade-route mechanics Aventurine implemented.
Players, clans, and organisations will have to transport goods from point A to point B!
- Mercenaries can exist in a meaningful way.
- Player transporting services can exist in a meaningful way.
- Carvans, transports by road WILL exist.
- Caravan, transport security can exist.
- Thieves, hijackers, pirates clans can exist
- The location of your city, bank and regional presence will play a huge role instead of the current globalised state of the game.
RISK VS REWARD! I cannot stress this enough!
The SMALL additions above, which as i have demonstrated have HUGE effects will add SO MUCH sand to the box! There will be more than just Pvping/farming, people interested in crafting/transporting/piracy will be attracted to join the game.
There are actually many pirate clans that tried DF and quit because of the lack of abovementioned sand in the box!