Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your Crazy and Your Bitches are Crazier

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan...th-us-20120119

Article is a little older and some of you may have read it already. The scarier part is almost 1 in 4 american women between the ages 18-25 are loopy.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Damedius View Post
    The scarier part is almost 1 in 4 american women between the ages 18-25 are loopy.
    Or have an std. 1 in 4
    Last edited by tehWise; 09-23-2012 at 07:13.

3000+

Depression is a mental illness?

6000+

Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilio View Post
    You can't educate people that do not want to be educated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Vertigo View Post
    Dunning-Kruger, showing the internet as a parody of the human race since 1999.

2000+

Personally I don't buy into many of these so called "mental illnesses". To me it seems that many are probably naturally expected variances that simply range out of the perceived "norm" and then labeled an illness.

Its all based on desired outcome and not about actually being out of specification. If someone has say a 2% variance but that variance has what we consider an admirable trait such as intelligence we would not call that an illness yet if we have a 2% variance in a quality we do not consider a positive trait then we call it an illness yet both are as out of spec from the norm as the other.

Hopefully you get my point. I did not do a very good job trying to explain me view.

questioning the goverment is considered a mental illness today

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bulleteus View Post
    questioning the goverment is considered a mental illness today
    questioning anything in our society is a mental illness, the only things that are true is what the goverment says. -.-

8000+

What kind of mental illnesses are we talking about? The LA times also references themselves in this article. What a hunk of shit you've found.
    Last edited by Suncross; 09-23-2012 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Suncross View Post
    What kind of mental illnesses are we talking about? The LA times also references themselves in this article. What a hunk of shit you've found.
    Well you're probably crazy, but on the off chance you aren't.

http://www.samhsa.gov/newsroom/advis...201185326.aspx

http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/2k10MH_Findings/

Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    I remember a few years back some girl I was dating kept saying I was depressed b/c my brother died.

"No I'm SAD b/c my brother died"

What kind of society do we live in where normal emotions are confused for fucking mental illness?
    I blame hacks like Dr. Phil for this shit

- The Grixxitt, Alfar Supremacist - NAxx

Quote Originally Posted by The Grixxitt View Post
    What kind of society do we live in where normal emotions are confused for fucking mental illness?
    I blame hacks like Dr. Phil for this shit
    Sorry to hear that, and yes. Although, on a side note, I would be depressed if my brothers were to go.

Most of the bullshit that somehow keeps peoples attention comes from people who are self centered selfish pricks, who just want the ratings/viewers.

In my mind, if that sadness were to evolve into something more, as in you start to dedicate time towards finding ways to hurt yourself because of that sadness, that's depression. Or if the sadness persists and manifests in some physical action or dependency. Not every temporary infliction of emotion caused by a tragedy or event in life should be labeled depression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubby Bear View Post
    Its actually Maya game, not meta game. It comes from the ancient Mayan tradition of rubbing 2 phallic sticks together in a ritual simulating the bonding made by warriors battling in the grand arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    My mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open.

"The next suitable person you’re in light conversation with, you stop suddenly in the middle of the conversation and look at the person closely and say, “What’s wrong?” You say it in a concerned way. He’ll say, “What do you mean?” You say, “Something’s wrong. I can tell. What is it?” And he’ll look stunned and say, “How did you know?” He doesn’t realize something’s always wrong, with everybody. Often more than one thing. He doesn’t know everybody’s always going around all the time with something wrong and believing they’re exerting great willpower and control to keep other people, for whom they think nothing’s ever wrong, from seeing it."

— David Foster Wallace
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=380771&date  line=1345590091

Quote Originally Posted by -=GiMiK=- View Post
    Not every temporary infliction of emotion caused by a tragedy or event in life should be labeled depression.
    Depression is a mood and a mental illness. It becomes a mental illness when it persists for long periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Personally I don't buy into many of these so called "mental illnesses". To me it seems that many are probably naturally expected variances that simply range out of the perceived "norm" and then labeled an illness.

Its all based on desired outcome and not about actually being out of specification. If someone has say a 2% variance but that variance has what we consider an admirable trait such as intelligence we would not call that an illness yet if we have a 2% variance in a quality we do not consider a positive trait then we call it an illness yet both are as out of spec from the norm as the other.

Hopefully you get my point. I did not do a very good job trying to explain me view.
    You're probably right when it comes to some of the minor "mental illnesses". It's also possible that other factors outside the brain are causing the symptoms. The brain relies heavily on the gut so a poorly-treated gut could start manifesting as mental illness. Also, the adrenal glands are extremely important and also impact brain function to some degree. PTSD for example has been shown to be an adrenal malfunction at least to some extent so just looking at the brain may never provide a satisfactory answer.