Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1
    Banned Hallucinogenicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,488

    Default How hallucinogens affected human evolution

    Here are 4-5 paragraphs of the book "Food of the Gods" written by Terence McKenna. Terence McKenna is a very credible ethnobotanist, philosopher, psychonaut, researcher, teacher, lecturer and writer on many subjects, such as human consciousness, language, psychedelic substances, the evolution of civilizations, the origin and end of the universe, and alchemy. This book is about how hallucinogens greatly helped hominids become much more intelligent and very possibly gave us language. I highly recommend getting the book it is very good and here is a example.

    Spoiler


    . . .

    So how did the mushroom modifications get into the genome?

    The short answer to this objection, one that requires no defense of Lamarck's ideas, is that the presence of psilocybin in the hominid diet changed the parameters of the process of natural selection by changing the parameters of the process of natural selection by changing the behavioral patterns upon which that selection was operating. Experimentation with many types of foods was causing a general increase in the numbers of random motivations being offered up to the process of natural selection, while the augmentation of visual acuity, language use, and ritual activity through the use of psilocybin represented new behaviors. One of these new behaviors, language use, previously only a marginally important trait, was suddenly very useful in the context of new hunting and gathering lifestyles. Hence psilocybin inclusion in the diet shifted the parameters of human behavior in favor of patterns of activity that promoted increased language, acquisition of language led to more vocabulary and an expanded memory capacity. The psilocybin-using individuals evolved epigenetic rules or cultural forms that enabled them to survive and reproduce better than other individuals. Eventually the more successful epigenetically based styles of behavior spread through the population along with the genes that reinforce them. In this fashion the population would evolve genetically and culturally.
    Some people will think this is crazy lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Mushrooms are the vitamins of our subconscious mind. Combined with weed and many other mind altering natural drugs. You people are just fear mongered dipshits that eat what ever the fuck "they" feed you.

    Shrooms might have catapulted Homosapien into evolving language.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post
    you seem to have overdone it by shitloads with your precious mushrooms my good sir.

    to speak in your terms:

    Put on your pineapple falvoured tinfoil hat in order to protect yourself from flesh eating brain waves that all the fear mongered dipshits in this forum emit.

    Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post
    It was rather based on observation than on assumption. I just call it like i see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post
    no bad feelings, but that sounds crazy to me. Sarcastic or hyperbolic maybe, but still crazy jibberjabber.

    edit: I also didn't say that I disagree with everything he says. I only said that THAT is crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    McKenna was a god.
    +1
    Last edited by Hallucinogenicz; 09-20-2012 at 12:50.

  2. #2
    6000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,212

    Default

    you think this is why we invented gods?


    since we were high as fuuuuck
    Lord Oboy -

    Quote Originally Posted by Croim View Post
    You didnt even need that good aim in darkfall as long as you knew how to dodge/transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    :LMAO: thats just too funny. Yea, because being able to land more hits than your enemy didn't matter :lmao: Congrats, you just got added to my sig :lmao:

  3. #3
    Banned Hallucinogenicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Croim View Post
    you think this is why we invented gods?


    since we were high as fuuuuck
    Very likely, psilocybin induced hallucinations can be truly, unworldly enlightening. They have been for me everytime I took more than about 3 grams. Research done in around the 60's also strongly suggests this.

    This and weed are amazing medicines, but the government makes them illegal with absolutely 0 research suggesting weed or psilocybin will cause harm to you and not only that but makes it schedule 1, therefore being even more unlikely to have more research done on it. They do this because our healthcare is privatized, they are in it for the profits. If they cure us completely, they will lose money because we wont be constantly coming back. So they only suppress our ailments rather than curing them fpr long, many times permanent periods.
    "Your leery of conspiracy theory but hear me, from a business perspective it makes much more sense clearly"
    Last edited by Hallucinogenicz; 09-19-2012 at 17:03.

  4. #4
    5000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    Psychedelics is the best, it's the be-all-end-all, yada yada. What are we supposed to discuss? : P It's possible that they had a roll in making us what we are today, so did tool handling, enabling us to carve meat out of carcasses better thus having the meat power boost our brain development

  5. #5
    Banned Hallucinogenicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Makgyver View Post
    Psychedelics is the best, it's the be-all-end-all, yada yada. What are we supposed to discuss? : P It's possible that they had a roll in making us what we are today, so did tool handling, enabling us to carve meat out of carcasses better thus having the meat power boost our brain development
    Either way, I am Sir Hallucinations, defender of Shroomlands, Bringer of Bad trips! I had to spread the word. lol, but ya the reason I post it is because for a long time I suspected this was the case, but to see someone explain it so articulately is amazing. There is still room for debate even for people who believe it, such as whether or not it was incorporated into our genes or just affected our behaviors so much to where it set us on a different evolutionary path. I honestly believe its a mixture of both.

  6. #6
    Banned Hallucinogenicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,488

    Default

    Bad trips can also be extremely enlightening, when you are floating in space absolutely positive you are dead, it definitely makes you appreciate life lol. It is also very interesting how one can gain that sort of cosmic experience from such a realistic perspective. One of my favorite parts about it is you basically remember everything so its not just a subconscious impact it greatly affects your everyday thoughts noticeably.
    Last edited by Hallucinogenicz; 09-19-2012 at 17:15.

  7. #7
    Normal User US1 Player
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    155

    Default

    When I read threads like this it just reminds me to keep my daughter away from people like you.

    Thank you for understanding.
    Deeb Brackridge
    El capitan Sick bastards

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,449

    Default

    so you read a book?

    color me impressed!

  9. #9
    1000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Darkfall Online!
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    So many are blind to the great things that come with the Cannabis plant and all of its different variety and strains. Way more to it than just getting high. As for the trippy shroomies, they're not terrible for you (if you get the right kind)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah[fataLity] View Post
    Some wannabee troll randy, former account named Snowed, took my name for 2.0.
    It's a bit sad that because I didn't log on at 8 am, I won't be able to retain my name.
    However, it seems Celiah Ailey managed to whine his name back into possession.
    Dare I do the same?
    -affected

  10. #10
    4000+ M.Easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    bloodscar
    Posts
    4,725

    Default

    fasting > drugs

    fun fact: owning and growing magic mushrooms in my state is completely legal. the minute you start transporting them and/or selling them and/or having more than a small amount, it becomes conspiracy to overthrow the government, a very punishable crime.
    Last edited by M.Easy; 09-19-2012 at 18:42.

  11. #11
    5000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Easy View Post
    fasting > drugs

    fun fact: owning and growing magic mushrooms in my state is completely legal. the minute you start transporting them and/or selling them and/or having more than a small amount, it becomes conspiracy to overthrow the government, a very punishable crime.
    There are tons of magic mushrooms just a 5 minute walk from my apartment, it's illegal to pick them though : P Someone could get high, can't have that

  12. #12
    Banned Hallucinogenicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,488

    Default

    I live on the border of mexico/america and we get gold caps that grow wild and are the best :P

  13. #13
    7000+ EU1 Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    Magic mushrooms grow in like every state in America. http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-...ild-in-my-area

  14. #14
    5000+ GirlyMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    5,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
    Magic mushrooms grow in like every state in America. http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-...ild-in-my-area
    That's right. Shrooms grow on shit on cattle farms and horse ranches. Not really recommended to trespass, though.

  15. #15
    5000+
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1984
    Posts
    5,239

    Default

    "My contention is that mutation-causing, psychoactive chemical compounds in the early human diet directly influenced the rapid reorganization of the brain's information-processing capacities."

    They don't cause mutations.

    The effect it had on humans was mostly a religious one and promoting group cohesion and selecting for resistance to hallucinogens.

    The brain works by keeping the consciousness focused on the important things. F ex making sure small, seemingly irrelevant changes like the parallel lines don't reach the conscious brain.

    Anyway, there's a Stanford lecture I saw on YT claiming schizophrenia is the price of language. The same genes are involved with both. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find evidence for relatives of schizophrenics having exceptional language skills, at least compared to the amount of effort put into it. Only very recently (<100 years) have a lot of people had the opportunity to learn language in a structured way (clear rules, written word and from teachers) and learn many languages and dialects.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •