Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    7000+

Default Ottawa city council to vote a law to force fast food restaurants to show calories

Seriously? Mcdonalds already show it on their covers, dont stop me from eating a angus with a large coke whenever I go there.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 09-17-2012 at 00:25.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

I don't understand why it would be bad.

3000+

I thought they already had to show the full nutritional info? You mean like directly on the menu or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    Seriously? Mcdonalds already show it on their covers, dont stop me from eating a angus with a large coke whenever I go there.
    How would showing calories stop you from eating anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Chipatama View Post
    I don't understand why it would be bad.
    Another useless law

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOkie View Post
    Another useless law
    that was my point, yes. way to waste tax payer's money.

I thought they already had to show the full nutritional info? You mean like directly on the menu or something?
    They do but only on request. Mcdonalds does it anyway cause they lost a lawsuit against morbidly obeses people pretending Mcdonalds made them fat, not their behavior.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 09-17-2012 at 01:40.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    that was my point, yes. way to waste tax payer's money.
    I think it's pretty similar to forcing tobacco companies to paste pictures of oral and esophageal cancer with warnings on packs of smokes. Do you oppose those as well?

Combating willful ignorance on such prevalent health issues actually has the potential to reduce medical costs, which are paid for by the government as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    How would showing calories stop you from eating anything?
    I think it's to avoid misleading advertisement.

I don't know how this is going to cost the tax payers anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buurug View Post
    I think it's pretty similar to forcing tobacco companies to paste pictures of oral and esophageal cancer with warnings on packs of smokes. Do you oppose those as well?

Combating willful ignorance on such prevalent health issues actually has the potential to reduce medical costs, which are paid for by the government as well.
    99.9% of people know McDonalds and cigarettes are bad for you. However, due to 99.9% of people knowing that these items are bad for you, the government gets the chance to restate common sense via this calorie law.

While yes, I'm sure the plurality of people that voted for this law have good intentions. However, this law is useless due to 99.9% of people already knowing that these items are bad. Therefore making the only conceivable gain from this, if you will, is that the government gets to restate common sense.

Now, as many of you realize, a government always seeks to make itself bigger. By restating this common sense, they are able to make themselves seen in more places, as well as making it seem as if they have the good intentions of the people at heart. Not to mention it makes people more stupid, in my opinion, due to having to rely on others to make simple decisions instead of thinking themselves.

There really are many reasons why they would enact this law, but more regulation, in this case, does nothing. Therefore, it is actually either an act of stupidity, or greed.
    http://www.geckzilla.com/dfstuff/cannibal.png

Having to rely on bullshit like facts makes people stupid.

they should vote to shut that shit down. It's much cheaper to buy a stick of lard and bag of sugar and make that shit at home in your deep fryer.

Normal User US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    haha, nice one.
    Phineas Gage/Schnid

12,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post

No. Spending money on shit like this only makes society poorer. You cant educate someone who does not want to be educated or consciously takes the risk.

People who would not eat bad food or smoke already dont. So the law is not covering anyone new.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

Fuck it. It is amusing to watch confused fat people get fat without knowing how they are getting fat.

Besides Ragnarok enjoys ground up, artificially flavored cow's anus.
    Last edited by karlek; 09-17-2012 at 05:15.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by karlek View Post
    Fuck it. It is amusing to watch confused fat people get fat without knowing how they are getting fat.
    I loled, its so true most seem to be either completely ignorant or in denial. I cannot see the calorie count being displayed helping them any.

Once I was sitting at the table with a former girlfriends mother while she was eating a snack cracker and reading the nutritional value. She asks me "these have 70 calories each, is that a lot?" I was like wha? that little cracker cant have 70 calories so I took the box, it was 70 calories per serving which was like 14 crackers. Me point is that should couldn't even figure out the "per serving" value nor had any idea what was or was not a lot.