Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Depends what is important for you in game. I enjoy team work, communication on vent/ts and I prefer PvP game such as DFO/Shadowbane because of stronger communities so for me my personal performance is not as important. I'm fine with support role or being cannon folder(I do try to be better and I perform well in UO/SB/WoW but not so well in DF.) I dont play atm only because clan I was with just quit and I dont want to join either zerg with nothing in common everyone doing solo or small clique or l33t kids (even if they took me)
    Greywind UO/DAoC/SB/L2/WoW/DFO

3000+

As matchmaking keeps improving skill level becomes less important.

1000+

To be honest the best competitive game where bad players keep playing the most (imo) is poker.

it has one element that is soulcrushing but so great in itself, VARIANCE.

Motherfucker will lose constantly but all it takes is one night where they win due to variance and they will just keep on playing because they'll only remember that one night where they crushed everyone... without realizing it was just all luck and they'd lose 9 times out of 10.

Poker is genius.
    # 06:27:40 PM: Owh Wooah are the proud new owners of Eronetil.
    # 06:27:40 PM: Owh Wooah won the challenge against Sick Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooah View Post
    To be honest the best competitive game where bad players keep playing the most (imo) is poker.

it has one element that is soulcrushing but so great in itself, VARIANCE.

Motherfucker will lose constantly but all it takes is one night where they win due to variance and they will just keep on playing because they'll only remember that one night where they crushed everyone... without realizing it was just all luck and they'd lose 9 times out of 10.

Poker is genius.
    Tasos' alt trying to subliminally get us to like fizzles.
    Based God

ベースの神

me getting thrown around like a rag doll when I first started darkfall gave me motivation to get better ^_^

Stay focused, never give up!

5000+

I'd say people continue playing poker because there's possibility to win money, not just win in general. And it's hardly a game of luck, there are clearly defined grades of player skill and methods to influence your results.

Btw, gambling is one of the reasons why I asked whether winning cash would be a good enough incentive to keep trying. Assuming a game offers a system for putting money against other teams/players through a quick interface, and the game itself is fundamentally fun to play (and not just some browser poker shit, for example).

Trashtalking and matchmaking are also interesting points, going to hit on them later.

Also

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrillegious View Post
    As long as people can get my point across, why would grammar/spelling matter? it doesnt thats why im smart. Im smart cause i dont give a fuck, cause i dont need too. At least here that is.

4000+

Grind.

The only thing to do to get better at a competitive game -_-

Quote Originally Posted by bmfof View Post
    Say you really like the core gameplay of a particular competitive game, but you get wrecked at it most of the time. What do you do?

Do you try to improve your skills? Do you hit the game's boards to blame falty balancing? Do you quit?

Does your decision vary depending on whether the game is team based?

Does it vary depending on whether there's the potential to earn money by going pro?
    If you suck at Starcraft 2 just admit it like I do and play the mini games while blaming Koreans for unfair advantage, being that they are human computers and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

8000+

Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
    It probably wasn't a minor mistake but a very obvious mistake to avoid.
    I went to the right side in Smite and some guy yelled at me, so I went to the middle side and another guy yelled at me, then later I charged in cause I was using the tank character and a guy called me a newb...

5000+

Hard to know you're bad at a competitive game due to all the cheating going on. Every FPS has team-stacking of some sort which tend to apply to almost all sessions and aimbots, hacks etc. Every RTS has build-queues you can simply copy-paste from the Internet to give you an edge and probably spectator voice com cheating too plus team-stacking and unfair communication advantages if there's more than 1vs1.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Njai View Post
    Tasos' alt trying to subliminally get us to like fizzles.
    Fizzles are beyond retarded.
    Don't compare darkfall to poker bro.

Variance is great for poker, because otherwise there would be no fish playing, what's the point of playing when you get crushed constantly? Variance brings the pain but it does it overtime, so it's less noticeable. It also doesn't stop a fish from going on a huge heater and believing he's a winning player, only to play more and go broke while blaming his bad luck when he loses and his skill when he wins.

On the contrary, whoever implemented fizzles in darkfall actually never played the game, obviously.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Hard to know you're bad at a competitive game due to all the cheating going on. Every FPS has team-stacking of some sort which tend to apply to almost all sessions and aimbots, hacks etc. Every RTS has build-queues you can simply copy-paste from the Internet to give you an edge and probably spectator voice com cheating too plus team-stacking and unfair communication advantages if there's more than 1vs1.
    Sorry to break it to you bud...

99.9888% of the time, you just got outplayed.

1000+

I watch youtube videos to play like the best.
    If i have to, il used some scripts(I only do that in DF)
    Il search for a guide to get better and quick.
    I practice a loooooooooot!!

My favorite type of competitive game to learn how to be the best are mostly Fighting Games. The learning curve of these games are so great and infinit, specially if you play with more than 1 character.

I usually hate RTS games, but warcraft 3 is the best in my book. Sadly, theres nothing similar to this recently. Im tired of all these moba games.
    Last edited by 4n0n; 08-20-2012 at 02:32.
    https://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?u=401595&type=sigpic&dateline=  1360367954

Quote Originally Posted by War Child View Post
    Even the mobs cancelled their subscription.
    NA: Asura Wrath
    Clan: Incognito recruit.

I suck at rts games. To the point I have no interest in being good. They are fun with friends of equal suck level.

Fps games are all very much the same. I haven't played one where I don't feel skilled enough.

But I have friends who are so so at games. And they enjoy some games I find boring but don't last in games I find amazing. Tribes ascend for example. I can't stop playing but my friends find it too much.

I was never great at Darkfall, but I partially blame that on it not allowing me to play what I wanted. I didn't want to depend on magic, so I would get rolled.

Oh, I was never good at guild wars, but always tried to get better. I think I put the most effort into that before accepting I should stick to shooters.

I like the full loot aspect of Darkfall, so I decided to get good so I could experience this aspect more often. I've always been at least decent in all games I've played for more than a few hours besides Darkfall, but I figure it was more because of my character than my skill when you could cycle r90s.
    I am the King of the Orks determined by this player-run tournament.

ZorakWar on Quakelive!