Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    1000+

Default Cops shoot knife-wielding man dead near Times Square

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...HrZTqINexEnO6N

Cops fatally shot a knife-wielding man in broad daylight near Times Square Saturday after chasing him down Seventh Avenue from 44th Street to 37th Street.
    The madman, a 30-year-old male, had lunged at officers, who told him to drop the knife. When he refused to let go of the weapon, they pepper-sprayed him. When he wouldn’t go down, at least one cop fired in plain sight of shocked witnesses, sources said.
    and

Today the New York Times made Chipotle's burritos a little less zesty for New York's Finest by reporting that the chain's downtown Brooklyn location near the courthouse gives officers a 50% discount as a courtesy, a deal they're barred by department rules from accepting.
    cops didn't appear to be receiving any special discounts during the restaurant's lunch rush today, not that they'd accept them anyway. "I make $140,000," one NYPD officer of over 20 years told us. "Do you really think I'm going to jeopardize my integrity for a sandwich?"
    but..

Though the transactions we witnessed between first responders and Chipotle employees appeared discount-free, the one harried burrito-slinger we spoke with confirmed the policy: "Oh yeah, police officers in uniform get 50% off. A lot of them take it."
    http://gothamist.com/2012/07/19/days...le_burrito.php

anywhore...
    140k ??
    That's how much money a NYPD officer makes ?(20 year experience, but still GOD DAMN)
    Last edited by Muscalu; 08-12-2012 at 14:51.

George Carlin : People are fucking dumb !

"One NYPD officer.." I can bet you that it's not the regular street patrol that's earning 140k.. Probably also why he values his integrity.
    Last edited by Emolas; 08-12-2012 at 15:01.

If a cop is pulling that much is is either extremely high ranking or working an insane number of traffics duties to the point where he is probably only sleeping 5 hours a night and then heading back to work with no weekends.

6000+ Long term follower

Cops generally make jack shit, so he must be pretty far up the ladder.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Muscalu View Post
    anywhore...
    140k ??
    That's how much money a NYPD officer makes ?(20 year experience, but still GOD DAMN)
    he's probably anywhere between captain and commissioner :P

Cops generally make jack shit, so he must be pretty far up the ladder.
    what? they make like 35-40k a year when they start without any diploma.

That's the base salary of cops from the SPVM. Note that it actually takes a college degree to become a cop here.

Classes Salaire
    Constable à l’embauche 37 727 $
    Constable 6e classe (après 12 mois) 41 997 $
    Constable 5e classe (après 24 mois) 46 980 $
    Constable 4e classe (après 36 mois) 52 675 $
    Constable 3e classe (après 48 mois) 59 081 $
    Constable 2e classe (après 60 mois) 64 063 $
    Constable 1re classe (après 72 mois) 71 182 $
    it's jumping a year each time and the first one being when they're hired.
    Last edited by Ragnarok Delrhe; 08-12-2012 at 16:47.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emolas View Post
    "One NYPD officer.." I can bet you that it's not the regular street patrol that's earning 140k.. Probably also why he values his integrity.
    Because high salary equals integrity. So sayeth the bailout promoter Emolas.

6000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    what? they make like 35-40k a year when they start without any diploma.
    Opinions vary, I guess.

That is exactly what I made with my original BS degree, also. It didn't feel like much. After taxes, bills, and necessities, I didn't have much to play with and I was single then.

Bottom line was $0-150 a month and I lived in a cheaper area of the country.

i personally think cops salary should be based dramatically off the crimes rates in their area. so for example a police officer in Detroit or Flint, MI is going to get paid more than a police officer in Burlington, Vermont. since obviously they're swimming in much dangerous waters and therefor should have their pay impacted on it and the choice to sign up for which ever city they choose.

but then again the world doesn't ever make much sense to me.

either way 35k year isn't good and almost any entry factory job makes about that with zero education.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M.Easy View Post
    either way 35k year isn't good and almost any entry factory job makes about that with zero education.
    Policing is like rocket science.

Jobs like these should be taken because people want to do good. Not because they want to buy shit. That's integrity.

Same goes for nurses and other do good'er jobs. But who cares. We're all neck deep in the entitlement society. Everybody wants what's coming to them. Taxpayer money ftw.

7000+ EU1 Player

Cops make decent money after a few years. 140k seems high but regardless of that, cops are in it for the pension after 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
    Cops make decent money after a few years. 140k seems high but regardless of that, cops are in it for the pension after 20 years.
    i guess that's decent for driving an ozone depleting machine around, handing out traffic tickets and drinking coffee all day. them glorified hall monitors on their high horses i tell ya.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Policing is like rocket science.

Jobs like these should be taken because people want to do good. Not because they want to buy shit. That's integrity.

Same goes for nurses and other do good'er jobs. But who cares. We're all neck deep in the entitlement society. Everybody wants what's coming to them. Taxpayer money ftw.
    Following rules would be better than wanting to do good as lots of laws are bad and trying to do good could lead to evidence planting or other types of vigilantism. Lots of police work you wouldn't really need to be a police officer to do either.

i personally think cops salary should be based dramatically off the crimes rates in their area. so for example a police officer in Detroit or Flint, MI is going to get paid more than a police officer in Burlington, Vermont. since obviously they're swimming in much dangerous waters and therefor should have their pay impacted on it and the choice to sign up for which ever city they choose.

but then again the world doesn't ever make much sense to me.

No, as the risk they would be exposed to is much more closely related to what work they are doing than where they work.

They should be paid based on how good they are at their jobs for the most part. F ex if their work involves chasing criminals on foot and physically overpowering them, they should have tests to determine their prowess regularly and adjust their salaries based on performance. That way, you can avoid the perverse incentive of rewarding arrests or arrest attempts that lead to someone getting injured or killed due to police incompetence.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

Quote Originally Posted by Weeking View Post
    Following rules would be better than wanting to do good as lots of laws are bad and trying to do good could lead to evidence planting or other types of vigilantism. Lots of police work you wouldn't really need to be a police officer to do either.

No, as the risk they would be exposed to is much more closely related to what work they are doing than where they work.

They should be paid based on how good they are at their jobs for the most part. F ex if their work involves chasing criminals on foot and physically overpowering them, they should have tests to determine their prowess regularly and adjust their salaries based on performance. That way, you can avoid the perverse incentive of rewarding arrests or arrest attempts that lead to someone getting injured or killed due to police incompetence.
    i completely agree, i guess i was more referring to street patrolling cops. the dudes who drive through the crack infested hood all day opposed to the cops who sit in the station and type on their computer all day.

7000+ EU1 Player

i guess that's decent for driving an ozone depleting machine around, handing out traffic tickets and drinking coffee all day. them glorified hall monitors on their high horses i tell ya.
    Cops have a union. Starting pay is nothing compared to what they make after 5-10 years.

And again, it's all about the pension. Put in 20, retired, get a good pension and start working another career.

What is wrong with shooting a guy "in broad daylight"? Are cops only allowed to defend themselves when it is night time or something?