Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
  1. #31
    15,000+ Niburu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ulks View Post
    I feel these space projects etc, is a giant waste of resources, money, time and energy spent. Why on earth must we be obsessed on finding out information about another planet to destroy.. Instead of trying to fix the damage done in the shit hole we live in now. That money could easily wipe out debt for these counties wasting it..

    But no massive dorks with there head in the clouds instead of down here in planet earth come up with bullshit research crap to justify wasting trillions on this crap..

    That livestream was not "awesome" or "exciting" any shape of fucking form...

    It was boring and mostly like a hoax somewhere in the desert, with someone skipping into the sunset with bags of billions.
    because thats how we became so successful, by exploring
    Last edited by Niburu; 08-06-2012 at 16:38.
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

  2. #32
    4000+ freakd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    is there a recording? I can't find the right one...

  3. #33
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    I dream of not wasting money on research that is completely useless in the present.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    because thats how we became so successful, by exploring
    No we became successful by investing in capital. Exploration is part of that tho.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    No we became successful by investing in capital. Exploration is part of that tho.
    How do you invest in capital?

    Aside from that this isn't Civilization, you can't simply click on Giant Death Robots or Cure For Cancer and have that research completed in 4 turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder
    Please learn something before speaking

  5. #35
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    How do you invest in capital?

    Aside from that this isn't Civilization, you can't simply click on Giant Death Robots or Cure For Cancer and have that research completed in 4 turns.
    Research is only a part of process for production of capital. It has to be balanced. For a country importing more then they are exporting research is the last thing they need to do.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  6. #36
    2000+ The Grixxitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NOLA 70116
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    Actually no the space program is a tiny % of the budget and would not even dent the deficits. You are right it is a waste of money. It is welfare for college degrees.

    I do think that space exploration should be done but only when the conditions are right. Right conditions would be when it is either affordable or there is a need for us to go outside of earth. Atm this money could be better spent in Earth's capital stock. And for my crazy liberal friends that could mean capital that produces less pollution.
    Exploration is a form of self-preservation and could very well be the only thing that guarantees our continued existence as a species.

    - The Grixxitt, Alfar Supremacist - NAxx

  7. #37
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Grixxitt View Post
    Exploration is a form of self-preservation and could very well be the only thing that guarantees our continued existence as a species.
    Nope you need to get your head out of Sci-Fi. At the moment not only is it completely unaffordable for the means of colonization but we are also very far away from needing extra space. Besides Malthus was wrong. Human population will not multiply to the point where there is not enough resources for all of us.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  8. #38
    8000+
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    8,076

    Default

    This thread is just disappointing me now.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    Nope you need to get your head out of Sci-Fi. At the moment not only is it completely unaffordable for the means of colonization but we are also very far away from needing extra space. Besides Malthus was wrong. Human population will not multiply to the point where there is not enough resources for all of us.
    I'd rather we as a species prepare WELL in advance for possible problems rather than wait for the problem to be at our doorstep and we haven't a solution.

    Even preparing now we may not be ready if shit hits the fan, however in saying that it doesn't hurt us to be spending all we can on such projects because knowledge > a few saved dollars that would be wasted on other more meaningless crap as it is.

  10. #40
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Capua
    Posts
    894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhandorder View Post
    Human population will not multiply to the point where there is not enough resources for all of us.
    I disagree with this, but I will grant you that its a few hundred years off (maybe less) -- assuming nothing catastrophic hasn't killed all of us yet
    Darkfall moderators are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business other than Darkfall Board moderating, our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.


  11. #41
    2000+
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    IRRELEVANT!!!
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Humans might survive (their selfdestructiveness), by:

    1) limiting their own numbers on the earth (birth control, China style if needed)

    2) finding WISE political systems that actually work for the better of the planet AND for the human race (that might exclude Democracy, a failed, door to door seller driven system)

    3) using resources FIRST for urgent matters, rather than for the fanatical "scientific" semi-religious stunts that the AngloAmerican Puritan system (now influencing the entire planet) requires...


    .........we have lived well for thousands of years in THIS planet WITHOUT technology........yet we have been brainwashed in thinking that "Science" and "Technology" are what makes us survive......

    Regards
    HG
    "Let us control the money of a nation, and we care not who makes its laws" Mayer Amschel "Rothschild"

  12. #42
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bainwalker View Post
    I'd rather we as a species prepare WELL in advance for possible problems rather than wait for the problem to be at our doorstep and we haven't a solution.

    Even preparing now we may not be ready if shit hits the fan, however in saying that it doesn't hurt us to be spending all we can on such projects because knowledge > a few saved dollars that would be wasted on other more meaningless crap as it is.
    Ok but that is on the level of preparing for space invasion and preparing for black hole opening. So yes it could hurt us. Instead of preparing for something from sci-fi we should be making more things to be able to afford that without compromising our standard of living.

    Quote Originally Posted by Solonius View Post
    I disagree with this, but I will grant you that its a few hundred years off (maybe less) -- assuming nothing catastrophic hasn't killed all of us yet
    Look at how birth rates go down in 1st world countries. People are not dumb they stop making kids when it becomes harder to survive or becomes cramped.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

  13. #43
    3000+
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    Of course humans could stay on earth and in theory the population should stabilize at some point at some natural limit. But by expanding to other planets we can break that limit. Hell, even if it's completely unnecessary we will still do it for curiosity's sake.

  14. #44

  15. #45
    12,000+
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NYC, Beta Tester
    Posts
    12,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    Of course humans could stay on earth and in theory the population should stabilize at some point at some natural limit. But by expanding to other planets we can break that limit. Hell, even if it's completely unnecessary we will still do it for curiosity's sake.
    And we should but not in the year 2012. Where we have major deficits for every 1st world nation and half a world being classified as 3rd world conditions.
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"


    Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •