Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 84
  1. #1
    4000+ Galadourn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    4,460

    Default Vanguard: Free to Play launch


  2. #2
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Never played this game. What was/is the PvP going to be like. Is it completely open world pvp?
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

  3. #3
    IRC Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,697

    Default

    Fuck. Yes.

    This is, by far, the best PvE game on the market. It's the most immersive game world with the BEST dungeons to date.

    The only real downsides up until now were... the lack of PvP and the small development team. The latter problem has now been fixed.

    Seriously, if you like exploring, doing group content, and playing in a game WORLD, play this game. Here's an old fan trailer.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p6TrEPSr50




    Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

  4. #4

    Default

    Agreed, and the crafting was top notch. Just dead empty world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

  5. #5
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Why would I play an mmo for pve, when I could play a single player game that would be better in every way.
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

  6. #6
    6000+ GRCPan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    Why would I play an mmo for pve, when I could play a single player game that would be better in every way.
    Cause coop, cause gankers.

  7. #7
    3000+
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    Why would I play an mmo for pve, when I could play a single player game that would be better in every way.
    PvE can be great in an MMO if the Enviroment requires you to use team work for certain mobs.

  8. #8
    11,000+ Death's Chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    Why would I play an mmo for pve, when I could play a single player game that would be better in every way.
    I hate this inadequate line of logic. PVE, even solo, in an MMO is superior for the sheer fact that you're living in a persistent world that constantly evolves and matures with or without you. You playing alone, is still more exciting knowing to the fact that there are other people out there. Also, the scope of an mmo is massive, far larger than any single player game.


    Yummy.

  9. #9
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    I hate this inadequate line of logic. PVE, even solo, in an MMO is superior for the sheer fact that you're living in a persistent world that constantly evolves and matures with or without you. You playing alone, is still more exciting knowing to the fact that there are other people out there. Also, the scope of an mmo is massive, far larger than any single player game.
    So when you say massive/persistent world you mean a boring lifeless world where mobs stand around in various camps waiting for you to attack them, at which point they display no form of intelligence whatsoever. Afterwards you move onto a new spawn camp with new enemies who display the same lack of intelligence. And you do that over and over until you hit cap at which point you do more of the same to get cool phat loot to brag about.

    OMG THAT'S WAY BETTER than single player pc games...

    Give me a break. Persistence only matters when players are impacting the word they live in. And that only happens when you have meaningful pvp and player driven conflict.

    Don't bother responding until you remove the tampon from your carebear ass. PvE mmo. What a joke...
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

  10. #10
    11,000+ Death's Chill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,219

    Default

    Single player games rarely are different. Mobs usually stand around in one location. They respawn just like in mmos. Yeah, the story might be a bit more fleshed out with voice acting, which is why I do play both types of games.

    I am saying they both have real merit, and neither is worthy of being singled out as bad.


    Yummy.

  11. #11
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    Single player games rarely are different. Mobs usually stand around in one location. They respawn just like in mmos. Yeah, the story might be a bit more fleshed out with voice acting, which is why I do play both types of games.

    I am saying they both have real merit, and neither is worthy of being singled out as bad.
    Bad single player games are bad, yeah. But a good single player game is like a good movie, you're attached to the characters the setting, the action/set pieces simply make those things better.

    Mmo's simply fail on that level, but they're not single player games so they shouldn't try to be. Which is why it's infuriating to see so many shitty pvp mmo's out there...
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

  12. #12
    2000+ griM''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    Bad single player games are bad, yeah. But a good single player game is like a good movie, you're attached to the characters the setting, the action/set pieces simply make those things better.

    Mmo's simply fail on that level, but they're not single player games so they shouldn't try to be. Which is why it's infuriating to see so many shitty pvp mmo's out there...
    So was SWGs PVE bad? Do you think the persistent growing world was bad? There's an exception to everything, I think you should at least try thr game thats posted.
    Last edited by griM'; 08-05-2012 at 00:30.
    thx KAPUTT for face montage
    http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/Bounce_em.swf
    Quote Originally Posted by Adûn_East View Post
    Mindfuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeaph View Post
    VIVA LA DARKFALL

  13. #13
    5000+
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alfar Territories
    Posts
    5,178

    Default

    i'll probably pick up this game again soon

    i really enjoyed vanguard but i just couldn't get into it like i wanted to because of the completely dead world.
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

  14. #14
    IRC Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    Why would I play an mmo for pve, when I could play a single player game that would be better in every way.
    Because a singleplayer world doesn't go on without you, and there are no people to group with and see in the thousands exploring the world. This game has no instances.




    Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

  15. #15
    2000+ Long term follower
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Signus View Post
    Because a singleplayer world doesn't go on without you, and there are no people to group with and see in the thousands exploring the world. This game has no instances.
    But none of that matters... Monster camps will respawn, and my footprint on the world won't be felt or noticed. PvP adds and creates persistence in the world because it removes the artificial restrictions that are in place..
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •