Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Fiber

Default Google Fiber

I've been reading a lot about it lately and it seems incredible, 1000 Mb/s downloads for the price of modern internet, or free regular internet access w/ installment fee etc. etc. Was curious if anybody had any idea how it works? I'm really interested in advances in this type of technology but when I look it up on Google's page it's mainly a bunch of hype about how fast it performs and no details about how it works. If you haven't heard about it and care here's a link https://fiber.google.com/about/. Free to /discuss

5000+

Still have to dig fiber cable first, and it's only for the US, for now
    Last edited by Makgyver; 07-27-2012 at 00:06.

3000+

It sounds amazing. Too bad it's only in one city, and will probably take years to expand to other US cities, let alone Canada.

isnt it a bit overkill? i have 40mb/s and get everything i want almost instantly

i dont remember i had to download anything more that 5 mins

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bulleteus View Post
    isnt it a bit overkill? i have 40mb/s and get everything i want almost instantly

Rofl, you were one of the guys a few years ago that thought 1gb is more than anyone could ever need.

7000+

Cause I'd rather download a game in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Haha, I actually agree with him about it being overkill, at least with regards for personal computers and networks. Could have a big impact on large corporations - like Google lol.. But hell, it would be damn incredible to have personal access to that speed. I couldn't believe it when I was reading it, these constant technology advances just astound me.

6000+ Long term follower

This kind of data transfer will make Blurays and Cable TV obsolete when you are able to stream movies in true HD (or better). Netflix already does a pretty good job, this would put streaming over the top.
    Last edited by Falokis; 07-27-2012 at 01:01.

3000+

It's not really overkill. Fiber is the logical next step, technology-wise; may as well use it to its full potential.

8000+

holy shit lol, I haven't even gotten 100 mb/s yet

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok Delrhe View Post
    Cause I'd rather download a game in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.
    Well, you know, not to be a downer, but your hard drive can't even write that fast.

Banned

Nah it means games have to compress files a lot less, which means more packets can be sent and which means more cooler game features and games with more people in it.

Imagine if something like Planetside 2 had a fiber optic requirement, it would have a totally seamless, 10k vs 10k vs 10k world or something as cool as that.

Its just that currently technology aims for slower internet, but it will catch up eventually.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Rica View Post
    Well, you know, not to be a downer, but your hard drive can't even write that fast.
    I know. it's a matter of speech

Join us on Twitch or on our forums!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Falokis View Post
    This kind of data transfer will make Blurays and Cable TV obsolete when you are able to stream movies in true HD (or better). Netflix already does a pretty good job, this would put streaming over the top.
    From what I hear BR has been much much weaker than DVDs at their release since people are simply pirating/netflixing.

A blue ray film takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to download on today's internet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Rica View Post
    Old school SATA hard-drives write at 3gbs or so per second, and I've never seen my overheated/cheap one not write above 1gb.

Flash hard-drives are the way of the future anyways and they are much faster than SATAs.