Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Tips on Surviving the Newbie Experience

Updated as of August 1st, 2012

(WIP)

*DISCLAIMER: This is not a "what skills you should get, where to farm money, how to be ub3r 1337" thread. This is a thread about things you wish you knew when you started. This thread is about surviving Darkfall as a new player.

Okay, so you know the controls. You can fight a goblin. Problem is, sometimes you get your ass handed to you. Whether this is from other players, tough mobs, or even the vanilla game mechanics, it's gonna happen. You can't know everything about Darkfall as a new player, but luckily some older players can pretend to!

General Tips

• It's a good idea to find a buddy, or multiple buddies, to play with. Safety in numbers, right?
    • A huge advantage of playing with friends in the initial stages of the game is access to more resources (manpower, knowledge, material items, sexy voices to listen to in TeamSpeak, etc.).
    • If you see somebody who seems to be up to their neck in armor, tell them you're a newbie and would appreciate some spare gear (don't try this if they're about to kill you; it's usually most successful by a bank). Most older players even have a bag or two full of "give-away" armor/weps/etc. I know I do!
    • If your screen freezes up for a split second, that normally means another player has entered your area. This means that another player is ~300 meters away which is equivalent to 10-15 seconds on a bluetail, slightly longer on a slow mount. Hide or get the fuck out.

Banking

• Bank early and bank often.
    • If you have to ask "Should I go bank, now?" the answer is always yes.
    • If you get to the point where you are thinking "Oh, just one more mob/iron ore node/tree/bush," then you need to bank.
    • Banking is like breathing. You should be doing it so often and so routinely, you don't even think about it anymore.
    • People will say, "Oh, banking is no big deal, just make runs back when you need to!" Bullshit! Everybody banks, and they bank a lot. It's like masturbation.
    • Use bags! It really helps when you're trying to find items, both in your inventory and in your bank.

Dealing with Death

• Only take things out of the bank that you're willing to lose.
    • At the early stages, don't worry about item-loss upon death. The skill/stat points you gained are invaluable. Hell, I'm 8 inches unbuffed. 'S gotta count for something!
    • Don't give up. Every person who kills you, every shit face who dry loots your hour-and-a-half of skeleton loot, was once in your shoes. At release, you couldn't even farm goblins for 10 minutes Now, you can max a new character in a week or two.
    • Remember, everything is temporary. Never get attached to anything. Except your leafblade (and a shield ). It might just save your ass later on.

Thanks for the AWESOME post, Xipos!

Spoiler

Another epic post, Morad!

Spoiler

Remember, as long as you're having fun, nothing else matters.

*Feel free to add to this thread, provide suggestions, criticize the OP, whatever. Please stay on topic.

*More to come!
    Last edited by Shoniku; 08-01-2012 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaliost View Post
    I don't know how you managed to put masturbation in a newbie guide, but u did :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    Yes, titling something "mods fuck off" will make it live longer.

Normal User

*Reserved!

Useful Macros to Get You Started

(These macros use AutoHotkey, aka AHK.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprint Macro
    ~*W::
    if GetKeyState ("W","P")
    {
    Send {F5 down}
    Sleep 100
    }
    Return
    • With the above macro, your "move forward" key should be bound to "W", and your "sprint" key should be bound to "F5."
    • Ask me if you want a personalized macro for sprinting!

Quote Originally Posted by Parry Macro
    #IfWinActive, Darkfall Online
    ;1H
    *MButton::
    Send {F9}
    Sleep 700
    Send {F10}
    Sleep 50
    Return
    • This macro will pull your 1h weapon and shield out, when you click your scroll wheel (push down on it like a button).
    • With this macro, you must have your "1 handed weapon" bound to "F9" (you can do this by editing your GUI bindings in-game in the "Input Bindings" section) and your "shield" bound to F10.
    • If your weapon is already out, you will automatically draw your sword and board.
    • Ask me if you want a personalized macro for parrying!
    Last edited by Shoniku; 07-23-2012 at 21:48. Reason: Macros

Quote Originally Posted by Thaliost View Post
    I don't know how you managed to put masturbation in a newbie guide, but u did :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    Yes, titling something "mods fuck off" will make it live longer.

Banned US1 Player

Some people on the global chats will tell you to join their clan called "zerg" and they'll say they're team players and they love helping noobs. DO NOT JOIN THEM. Everybody in this game hates that clan and will kill you on sight. Join small clans with an alliance to bigger clans. It's best to be in a clan with no reputation or even a good one (if you can find one with a good rep let me know )

90% of the people in this game are tools. Try to ignore them, they think griefing new players makes them "hardcore". Try not to let them influence you and PLEASE don't turn into them.

If you need help i'm usually online, you can always shoot me a /tell scooby doo and i'll be more than happy to help. If you're a wolf or even an ork (I call them ugly fatties) I can bring you some gear and even make you stuff if you have the materials!

Goodluck and welcome to Darkfal

If your screen freezes up for a split second, that normally means another player has entered your area. This means that another player is ~300 meters away which is equivalent to 10-15 seconds on a bluetail, slightly longer on a slow mount. Hide or get the fuck out.

One of the biggest reasons this game has failed over time. Fucking load-lag and mob spawn on entering location.

Banned US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Bainwalker View Post
    If your screen freezes up for a split second, that normally means another player has entered your area. This means that another player is ~300 meters away which is equivalent to 10-15 seconds on a bluetail, slightly longer on a slow mount. Hide or get the fuck out.

One of the biggest reasons this game has failed over time. Fucking load-lag and mob spawn on entering location.
    Agreed that kind of ruins the open world aspect. Mobs should never not be spawned IMO and player lag is seen in almost every game so thats hard to work around.

Normal User

I don't know how you managed to put in masturbation in a newbie guide, but u did .p

When ganging up with other (older) characters, the melee and arrow buffs are very important to level faster. They could also show you good mob spots to level (even from places where you won't take damage) and also lend you mana to level magic faster.

Nice effort on the guide
    Thaliost Riverblade

[EU]Immortals: recruiting for DF:UW

Casual Darkfall Blog [Last Update: August, 8th, 2012: DanesLaw tried to steal Immortals' Home o_O]

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Some people on the global chats will tell you to join their clan called "zerg" and they'll say they're team players and they love helping noobs. DO NOT JOIN THEM. Everybody in this game hates that clan and will kill you on sight. Join small clans with an alliance to bigger clans. It's best to be in a clan with no reputation or even a good one (if you can find one with a good rep let me know )
    From the start, they owned mehatil and they still have it. This just proves how wrong you are.

In DF, bad reps means you're getting triple siege and shit. Getting killed by anyone in the server has nothing to do with rep. If they happen to get raid a lot, it means that their cities are active. We usually add a +1 rep for active cities.
    Last edited by 4n0n; 07-23-2012 at 01:07.
    https://forums.darkfallonline.com/image.php?u=401595&type=sigpic&dateline=  1360367954

Quote Originally Posted by War Child View Post
    Even the mobs cancelled their subscription.
    NA: Asura Wrath
    Clan: Incognito recruit.

Banned US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by 4n0n View Post
    From the start, they owned mehatil and they still have it. This just proves how wrong you are.

In DF, bad reps means you're getting triple siege and shit. Getting killed by anyone in the server has nothing to do with rep. If they happen to get raid a lot, it means that their cities are active. We usually add a +1 rep for active cities.
    Nobody likes zerg. Nobody.

Banned US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by entenica View Post
    I consider, that you are mistaken.
    Oh god the auto advertising accounts have invaded

there are plenty (thousads) of trollpposts...keep that one free pls.
    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318/warhol_photos/image_zps48f4bf75.jpg

Buddha Izikizibizi - DF:UW(Beta)/EU (Waiting for release)
    Ted Ghostglimmer - DF1/EU1
    Andy Warhol - DF1/EU1

Banned

Nobody likes zerg. Nobody.
    your an idiot..

zerg is a fine clan... the only clan that helps out new players..

weither or not you don't like zerg is your problem and you do not speak for all of us..

to start out i suggest you join zerg.. skill up your char in couple of weeks though casual gameplay.. you will find out yourself if you fit in yes or no..

if your char is almost maxed in couple of weeks.. you can start learning to fight..

Darkfall:

almost max char don't equals good pvp.

you need to learn the way of the warrior

6000+

nice effort on this thread shoniku, lets keep this thread clean guys and not voice our opinions about eachothers clans on it.

will add to this later.

Council of the Elders
    So Easy A Caveman Could Do It

Banned US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by -Grimtide- View Post
    nice effort on this thread shoniku, lets keep this thread clean guys and not voice our opinions about eachothers clans on it.

will add to this later.
    And don't get me STARTED about NME.

Another thing, don't go to noob dungeons as a noob. Vets farm those dungeons because they like 3 hitting noobs for laughs.

@snoepie:

Zerg members took a red through the wolf npc cities the other day to kill afk noobs at the bank.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 07-23-2012 at 09:25.

6000+

Another thing, don't go to noob dungeons as a noob. Vets farm those dungeons because they like 3 hitting noobs for laughs.

@snoepie:

Zerg members took a red through the wolf npc cities the other day to kill afk noobs at the bank.

Discuss.
    You've been playing for two months and somehow think you have a clue how things work. That is just funny. You can send me another PM telling me how you feel about NME bud.

Council of the Elders
    So Easy A Caveman Could Do It

@snoepie:

Discuss.
    Just looked up your clan, Gentlemen, now i know that you are a troll