Updated as of August 1st, 2012
*DISCLAIMER: This is not a "what skills you should get, where to farm money, how to be ub3r 1337" thread. This is a thread about things you wish you knew when you started. This thread is about surviving Darkfall as a new player.
Okay, so you know the controls. You can fight a goblin. Problem is, sometimes you get your ass handed to you. Whether this is from other players, tough mobs, or even the vanilla game mechanics, it's gonna happen. You can't know everything about Darkfall as a new player, but luckily some older players can pretend to!
- It's a good idea to find a buddy, or multiple buddies, to play with. Safety in numbers, right?
- A huge advantage of playing with friends in the initial stages of the game is access to more resources (manpower, knowledge, material items, sexy voices to listen to in TeamSpeak, etc.).
- If you see somebody who seems to be up to their neck in armor, tell them you're a newbie and would appreciate some spare gear (don't try this if they're about to kill you; it's usually most successful by a bank). Most older players even have a bag or two full of "give-away" armor/weps/etc. I know I do!
- If your screen freezes up for a split second, that normally means another player has entered your area. This means that another player is ~300 meters away which is equivalent to 10-15 seconds on a bluetail, slightly longer on a slow mount. Hide or get the fuck out.
- Bank early and bank often.
- If you have to ask "Should I go bank, now?" the answer is always yes.
- If you get to the point where you are thinking "Oh, just one more mob/iron ore node/tree/bush," then you need to bank.
- Banking is like breathing. You should be doing it so often and so routinely, you don't even think about it anymore.
- People will say, "Oh, banking is no big deal, just make runs back when you need to!" Bullshit! Everybody banks, and they bank a lot. It's like masturbation.
- Use bags! It really helps when you're trying to find items, both in your inventory and in your bank.
Dealing with Death
- Only take things out of the bank that you're willing to lose.
- At the early stages, don't worry about item-loss upon death. The skill/stat points you gained are invaluable. Hell, I'm 8 inches unbuffed. 'S gotta count for something!
- Don't give up. Every person who kills you, every shit face who dry loots your hour-and-a-half of skeleton loot, was once in your shoes. At release, you couldn't even farm goblins for 10 minutes Now, you can max a new character in a week or two.
- Remember, everything is temporary. Never get attached to anything. Except your leafblade (and a shield ). It might just save your ass later on.
Thanks for the AWESOME post, Xipos!
Another epic post, Morad!
Remember, as long as you're having fun, nothing else matters.
*Feel free to add to this thread, provide suggestions, criticize the OP, whatever. Please stay on topic.
*More to come!