Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Default PVP and Openlooting

As a completely new player to Darkfall - just started on the 2nd of July. I thought that I'd better give my perspective on the PvP vs PVE aspect of the game.

I don't really mind getting ganked, what I do mind is the open loot system. Allow me to elaborate.

I've just been ganked by two fellow Alfar while I was busy fighting for my life vs Skeletons (yes I am new - dont really have much time for MMOs). subsequently I watched both of them gloat over my twitching corpse. They were both obviously way more powerful than I. By the time I ran back to the site of my recent demise there was of course nothing left, they'd even looted the headstone.

Honestly I can say that this has made me question whether I really want to stay in the game. It's not so much getting ganked its the fact that these two lowlives were able to walk off with the fruits of my endevours for the last 2 hours. Soley because they were way more powerful than I am. Running away wouldnt have saved me as they both had mounts. When I asked one of them why they did it, I got the answer "for the lolz".

This really is annoying in the extreme, I've just wasted two hours of my time so that 2 lowlives could make a quick buck. You may well be commenting "its a sandbox"... but in the medieval period if you did this sort of thing on a regular basis you were made outlaw, you could always argue that there is already a similiar system in place to punish player murderers, however in the Medieval period there was no such thing as respawning

IMO the open loot system is grossly unfair and needs to be altered. Either get rid of it completely or make it consensual, ie if you will agree that you can be looted then you can loot others and to put that setting on a long cooldown to prevent abuse.

I havent given up on this game just yet, its still pretty much unique and theres more to like than to not like, but openloot is a serious drawback as far as Im concerned, I'd really like to try DF 2.0 when it comes out, but if openloot is not addressed then Ill probably be giving it a miss.

this first time i played this game
    i made a human and spawned in monkfield

the game didn't tell me anything
    i walked south for 1 minute and got ganked by 3 orcs on death pigs

i then instantly knew this game was for me

that's the difference between winners and you.

1000+

Two hours of your time? You might have a legitimate darkfall bad beat if you get around 24 hours worth of time lost in an unwinnable gank.

You should bank more often because this is mostly your own fault anyways. In hindsight you should be grateful this valuable lesson only cost you two hours plus the time to write up this thread.
    Last edited by shook; 07-11-2012 at 01:12.
    Hunson Abadeer

2000+

You gained two hours of skill. Skeleton loot is worth nothing. /thread

Edit: Changed my mind, I will elaborate. You didn't lose anything, you see it is only your skills and your experiences that matter. Loot comes and goes in this game. If your get your skills up you can get 100x what you lost in half the time.

The point is that loot is not as important as other MMO's, hell even the best gear in the game eventually just wears out and permanently breaks from use. So, forget your obsession with possessions and remember that one day you might kill them and get your stuff back. But you will always have this memory of a video game making you so angry you post a long thread on the forums about a core mechanic.
    Last edited by Manifoldgodhead; 07-11-2012 at 01:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsus View Post
    Charmin ultra is so carebear. I bet you wipe your ass with cheese graters cause you're so damn hardcore.
    My feelings on the new Darkfall:
    Yes.

M.Easy and Shook - Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately hardcore elitism is not for everyone.

Adventurine could lure far more players into the game who are a bit put off by the all or nothing approach to looting that currenly exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zancharthas View Post
    M.Easy and Shook - Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately hardcore elitism is not for everyone.

Adventurine could lure far more players into the game who are a bit put off by the all or nothing approach to looting that currenly exists.
    Thats what we don't want, people who can't take the hard core; this game caters to one and only one audience. Us.
    Kiyayne Sidorin

Official Gentlemen DOGEnation address
    DGentooHhZ5p5zueqYabxh7AZqi7J8Gwkq

Normal User

Default hmm

When i played this with my high level character some time back i tried to defend noobs from pks.
    But the world is too large and too many spots,so id end up waiting for ages in the most popular spots often to be ganked myself by multiple pks or even when i was successful the pk would just run off and id have to wait ages again.
    World was too big to anti-pk.

Zanc your forum account has been around since July 2008. if you been following the game that long you most obviously knew the rules? The negatives you see in the game are precisely what keeps the majority of us playing. AV didnt set out to create a game for the masses. PvP is pointless without loot in my opinion and pointless with partial loot. So yeah I support the full loot system. As others have said no items in game are permanent anyway. This is a major feature of the game that creates the whole risk vs reward experience... its not gonna go away.

K E L S E N | R A V E N H E A R T
    Imperator of | I M P E R I U M

1000+

Its called a bank and you put stuff in it you don't want someone taking from you.
    Hunson Abadeer

Your lucky this isn't EU launch you'd have rage quit the game and commit suicide by now. I made a living at EU launch literally just doing a circle around Elf lands as an Alfar killing people at the spawns and banking at one of the wilderness banks. I'd have been killing you once every 10 minutes or so depending on how long it took me to do my route.

Just quit now, this game will never be what you want it to. I do feel for you on the seriously out-powered part mind you. This game was to be about player skill and largely it is not until you max all your skills / stats.

Normal User

As a completely new player to Darkfall - just started on the 2nd of July. I thought that I'd better give my perspective on the PvP vs PVE aspect of the game.

I don't really mind getting ganked, what I do mind is the open loot system. Allow me to elaborate.

I've just been ganked by two fellow Alfar while I was busy fighting for my life vs Skeletons (yes I am new - dont really have much time for MMOs). subsequently I watched both of them gloat over my twitching corpse. They were both obviously way more powerful than I. By the time I ran back to the site of my recent demise there was of course nothing left, they'd even looted the headstone.

Honestly I can say that this has made me question whether I really want to stay in the game. It's not so much getting ganked its the fact that these two lowlives were able to walk off with the fruits of my endevours for the last 2 hours. Soley because they were way more powerful than I am. Running away wouldnt have saved me as they both had mounts. When I asked one of them why they did it, I got the answer "for the lolz".

This really is annoying in the extreme, I've just wasted two hours of my time so that 2 lowlives could make a quick buck. You may well be commenting "its a sandbox"... but in the medieval period if you did this sort of thing on a regular basis you were made outlaw, you could always argue that there is already a similiar system in place to punish player murderers, however in the Medieval period there was no such thing as respawning

IMO the open loot system is grossly unfair and needs to be altered. Either get rid of it completely or make it consensual, ie if you will agree that you can be looted then you can loot others and to put that setting on a long cooldown to prevent abuse.

I havent given up on this game just yet, its still pretty much unique and theres more to like than to not like, but openloot is a serious drawback as far as Im concerned, I'd really like to try DF 2.0 when it comes out, but if openloot is not addressed then Ill probably be giving it a miss.
    May not be your cup of tea but, you will definitely be on the other end of the stick shortly.

Personally I really like the fact that people can be total assholes, it creates enemies, rivals, nemesis.. etc. It provides a purpose for you to actually kill someone!

Just remember who they are, and keep in mind that pretty soon you'll be shitting all over them just like the rest of the server does.

If you want to avoid death, join a clan with access to player holdings. GET THE FUCK OUT OF NPC CITIES. Seriously, you will suffer greatly by avoiding the social aspect of this game at first.
    -Pro Bot-

The worst thing about new players is they always ASSUME the person that killed them is some maxed out veteran.

How do you know these 2 alfar weren't a few hrs older then you or exploring like noobs do?
    Based God

ベースの神

Normal User

To me the Asheron's Call system is better. For a certain skill level you drop a certain # of items which increases as you level: ie. level 1-15 you drop 2 items, 15-25 you drop 4, 25-35 you drop 6 etc. but of course this would have to be changed based on some sorta tally of your total skill points or something, this way newbs don't get full llooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Revnovan View Post
    To me the Asheron's Call system is better. For a certain skill level you drop a certain # of items which increases as you level: ie. level 1-15 you drop 2 items, 15-25 you drop 4, 25-35 you drop 6 etc. but of course this would have to be changed based on some sorta tally of your total skill points or something, this way newbs don't get full llooted.
    Goblin gear for the most part or any newbie gear period in DF is worthless for vets these days. I'd not waste my time killing players at goblin spawns... however with the population so low people get excited about finding anyone to kill so just do it for some actual fun instead of wandering all the time finding nothing.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Bainwalker View Post
    Goblin gear for the most part or any newbie gear period in DF is worthless for vets these days. I'd not waste my time killing players at goblin spawns... however with the population so low people get excited about finding anyone to kill so just do it for some actual fun instead of wandering all the time finding nothing.
    My solution works for all server populations.