Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23
    Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBread View Post
    edit: I read your edits above, and definitely purchasing it from vendors will be my choice and then second would be to join a clan and ask around for someone to craft/sell you ore etc ... also to be honest if i was a new player i'd start off with r50s and bone set...just to get practice in the game itself and have fun pvping...which is really easy to come by compared to full plate feathered with stam eff rings and r60 keened etc.... sure id be at a disadvantage but ill learn quickly then id start farming for good gear, get in clan, do group pvp, get loots from pvp etc
    Wich depending on your political situation and dedication to the game , could take from 1 month to 4 month , only to have a sufficient amount of gear to start and be at ease to get it out of your bank and actually play with it.

So even without the stat grind , a player still have several months of gold grinding to do before he can actually start to enjoy the game pvp , and if you stay honest here , against ANY veterans they dont stand a chance gear wise still without enchants.

Do you start to understand the real concern here ? Because 85% of the people would have already quitted after the first month when they realised that they still had several months of grinding in front of them to do.

The perception of the game is another factor here , you need to at least make the new player think that he has a chance in any fight. because after 15 fight if the new player evaluates that every single time he had 1% chance to fight back and win , he will simply not have fun , the game needs to put back the odds in the favor of a new player so that he at least hope to win 20-30% of the time , even just by plain luck. That way they at least feel like they are learning something , not that they lost because they lacked the tools to fight back.
    Last edited by Onslaughts; 07-07-2012 at 19:29.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Onslaughts View Post
    Wich depending on your political situation and dedication to the game , could take from 1 month to 4 month , only to have a sufficient amount of gear to start and be at ease to get it out of your bank and actually play with it.

So even without the stat grind , a player still have several months of gold grinding to do before he can actually start to enjoy the game pvp , and if you stay honest here , against ANY veterans they dont stand a chance gear wise still without enchants.

Do you start to understand the real concern here ?
    well see your numbers are coming from nothing, hell off this logic it could be years before someone gets sufficient amount of gear...
    hell what determines sufficient amount of gear to start with?
    what kind of gear are we talking about, q5 keen q5 stam eff q5 feather dragon?
    what determines the 'ease of taking things out of your bank'? I know some friends who wouldnt care from day one, and some people still pixel hug today with full banks..
    start to enjoy the game? what does that mean? I'm enjoying the game since day 1. I'm having great progression that I can see every minute, I hate the grind in darkfall, have done it twice now, and somehow i like it now, its somehow not awful to me anymore.

Definitely not months to get.. it comes down to how fast you learn, if you can learn, and if you want to learn. I have friends that have played fps games all their lives but still suck so much at them, etc.. Also if you get in a clan or not or want to etc all are factors...but in reality this 'problem' that you're trying to make me see isn't there

edit: sounds like im being negative here but I'm really not trying to be..just trying to think this over with ya
    Last edited by WonderBread; 07-07-2012 at 19:40.

Normal User

well see your numbers are coming from nothing, hell off this logic it could be years before someone gets sufficient amount of gear...
    hell what determines sufficient amount of gear to start with?
    what kind of gear are we talking about, q5 keen q5 stam eff q5 feather dragon?
    what determines the 'ease of taking things out of your bank'? I know some friends who wouldnt care from day one, and some people still pixel hug today with full banks..
    start to enjoy the game? what does that mean? I'm enjoying the game since day 1. I'm having great progression that I can see every minute, I hate the grind in darkfall, have done it twice now, and somehow i like it now, its somehow not awful to me anymore.

Definitely not months to get.. it comes down to how fast you learn, if you can learn, and if you want to learn. I have friends that have played fps games all their lives but still suck so much at them, etc.. Also if you get in a clan or not or want to etc all are factors...but in reality this 'problem' that you're trying to make me see isn't there

edit: sounds like im being negative here but I'm really not trying to be..just trying to think this over with ya
    It seems like you agree with me actually, you just fail to understand that Mmorpgs are meant for everyone in the first place ; not only the power gamers. You are obviously a power gamer , you said it , you kinda enjoy the grind , i do too personally.

I'll repeat it here , i never had any problem in Darkfall personally , but in all honesty again , im not representative of the normal players. I have a birth desease meaning that i usually stay at home most of the time, and i have alot of time to play games like Darkfall.

The normal players dont though , if i take my friends for exemple with their job , social activies and girlfriends , its already good if they can find 1 hour to play per day.

The game needs to catter for those people too ; and im not asking the game to become '' carebear ''. coming from ultima online , i despise wow and any theme park generic mmo to be honest. But currently Darkfall is still too much harsh for that kind of players.

Changing the rare ore rates on normal vein would completly change the whole Darkfall dynamic though , because for a exemple , a casual player could just log on and go mine in the wilderness ( wich requires no gear really ) and they could still make some gold selling that ore to veterans.

Id also give 1-3 iron per hit instead of just 1 , because currently its just a waste of time to harvest anywhere else than in clan cities.

Normal User

It seems like you agree with me actually, you just fail to understand that Mmorpgs are meant for everyone in the first place ; not only the power gamers. You are obviously a power gamer , you said it , you kinda enjoy the grind , i do too personally.

I'll repeat it here , i never had any problem in Darkfall personally , but in all honesty again , im not representative of the normal players. I have a birth desease meaning that i usually stay at home most of the time, and i have alot of time to play games like Darkfall.

The normal players dont though , if i take my friends for exemple with their job , social activies and girlfriends , its already good if they can find 1 hour to play per day.

The game needs to catter for those people too ; and im not asking the game to become '' carebear ''. coming from ultima online , i despise wow and any theme park generic mmo to be honest. But currently Darkfall is still too much harsh for that kind of players.

Changing the rare ore rates on normal vein would completly change the whole Darkfall dynamic though , because for a exemple , a casual player could just log on and go mine in the wilderness ( wich requires no gear really ) and they could still make some gold selling that ore to veterans.

Id also give 1-3 iron per hit instead of just 1 , because currently its just a waste of time to harvest anywhere else than in clan cities.
    They don't want to cater to super casuals, they've expressed this in all aspects of their design and strategies, and have said it too. For now though, since I'm 99.9% sure there will be a wipe, I'd do a 4x higher chance to a rare ore, and make the amount 2, I think this would be a decent start to increase the amount of gear a player could obtain from gathering, even though I haven't really thought over this change too much it would be nice.
    Last edited by WonderBread; 07-07-2012 at 19:54.

Normal User

They don't want to cater to super casuals, they've expressed this in all aspects of their design and strategies, and have said it too. For now though, since I'm 99.9% sure there will be a wipe, I'd do a 4x higher chance to a rare ore, and make the amount 2, I think this would be a decent start to increase the amount of gear a player could obtain from gathering, even though I haven't really thought over this change too much it would be nice.
    i tend to disagree here. they always always stated this was supose to be a sandbox mmorpg. If you have any clue about what a sandbox game is , you need a balance between niche and casual players , and this balance is very possible to obtain.

It doesnt mean that the casual player will end up being one of the best out there , the only thing it means is that this casual player would be able to also have fun while doing casual things ( like gathering , killing monsters , doing small quests , trading ect. ) while still feeling that he is part of the greater plan , not just a pawn on the battlefield waiting to get killed.

2000+

To all you whiners, I guess if you are the dumbest noob that wants to do everything solo and stick in starter cities then you're screwed. To all you people bitching about certain clans having the best mob spawns there's chaos cities you can bind out of. Zerg, a clan that recruits everyone, has hammerdale and Mehetil. Those two alone have awesome spawns all around it for the starting player.

You do need somewhat of a thick skin to play this game, regardless of grind. You can't be a sensitive little bitch. Get over it. Can't understand how people are still bitching about shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dolic123 View Post
    These nerd clans didn't get 50k prowess in 2 days for fair competitive fights. True colors have already been shown.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by otoan View Post
    To all you whiners, I guess if you are the dumbest noob that wants to do everything solo and stick in starter cities then you're screwed. To all you people bitching about certain clans having the best mob spawns there's chaos cities you can bind out of. Zerg, a clan that recruits everyone, has hammerdale and Mehetil. Those two alone have awesome spawns all around it for the starting player.

You do need somewhat of a thick skin to play this game, regardless of grind. You can't be a sensitive little bitch. Get over it. Can't understand how people are still bitching about shit.
    Lol nobody whined here , it's called a constructive conversation , sorry if you cant understand this.

Also , go ahead and try to hunt around hammerdale , wich gets raided everyhour by decked out vets. Yesterday i was roaming around there and i litteraly saw 12 corspes , all mostly new players , all full of loot still. Those vets dont even bother looting anymore lol , this is kinda pathetic honestly.

3000+

Lol nobody whined here , it's called a constructive conversation , sorry if you cant understand this.

Also , go ahead and try to hunt around hammerdale , wich gets raided everyhour by decked out vets. Yesterday i was roaming around there and i litteraly saw 12 corspes , all mostly new players , all full of loot still. Those vets dont even bother looting anymore lol , this is kinda pathetic honestly.
    Many vets live by the code of leave newbies their shit, but kill all that isn't green. It gives newbies a true sense of the brutality of the game but their stuff is still there so they can pick it up and get back on the horse.

Some take all and grief but the vast majority of actual vets do NOT loot newbies. Also some of the "newbies" in zerg are re-rolled alts using the clan/alliance for the bindspots to level on.

-Andrew
    Kimoshu Grakenshalmn

Middleman Rep

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Kimoshu View Post
    Many vets live by the code of leave newbies their shit, but kill all that isn't green. It gives newbies a true sense of the brutality of the game but their stuff is still there so they can pick it up and get back on the horse.

Some take all and grief but the vast majority of actual vets do NOT loot newbies. Also some of the "newbies" in zerg are re-rolled alts using the clan/alliance for the bindspots to level on.

-Andrew
    The fact is , it wasnt only Zerg players, there was also some random noobs at farming spot on the way to hammerdale , wich were still full of regs , pots , arrows , i even looted a veilron key and a bluetail.

This was litteraly 2-3 vets who roamed from point A to hammerdale killing everyone on their way , and funnily enough this is the kind of experience i always faced in DF ; Stating that the vast majority of the vets do not loot newbies is nice indeed ( far from truth in my opinion though ) , but those new players still lose their loot because they dont bother going back to their corpse , thinking they got dry looted like everytime it happened to them before.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by M.Easy View Post
    darkfall was not created for everyone

Therefore why it failed as a sandbox mmorpg ?

Normal User

Therefore why it failed as a sandbox mmorpg ?
    if it really failed, AV and Darkfall would of been gone a long time ago. its a niche game; its not for everyone, though everyone can try it out. the game is for people that has enough patience to adapt and deal with things... players that can accept and understand why this or that happened. these are the people that will eventually develop "darkfall common sense". if AV manages to make the game appeal to the majority while still keeping darkfall's theme, then they are gods.

With time, they may eventually get it right...MAYBE.. but it'll probably take years before they do. 2.0 will be the first step in the right direction, I hope. also with DF2.0, they are adding in things that will ease new players into the world a lot better than just dropping them right into the game with a lame tutorial window. maybe this will help, maybe it won't.

lets all pray together.

1000+ Long term follower

The only thing that would be interesting is a newb starting out and "playing" the game with zero handouts/gold and see how they do over playing the game.

Macroing for 2days with 400k/unlimited funds doesn't really mean much.

My guides are still vaild....

Its not the best guide in the world, but its a start. I think there are others in the sticky thread that tell you to do almost the same thing.
    Last edited by xpiher; 07-08-2012 at 10:15.
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!