Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67
    Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Fleffi View Post
    But at the same time though, Darkfall has been out for such a long time, if it kept its sandbox(grind) features at this stage, the game would be a wasteland. which no new players would try.

eccpecialy when the game allready has hit a wall which AV aint willing to climb over.
    Grind is a sandbox feature? O_O.

I'm pretty sure Tasos won't be removing any of our "freedom" from Darkfall. AV is adding in more incentives for PvP and politics, so they are not forgetting about the sandbox. What the game has really lacked since day 1 are sandbox tools. Their last attempt were funhulks; we all know how great those things are, lol. Hopefully, they'll be improving on this in DF2.0. All they really have to do is add in random crap into the world and then observe how players will use them, or watch how it will affect the game world. They need to start playing around with these things a little bit more.

Along with the tools, DF1.0 didn't have anything else to do besides PvP. This was the biggest flaw in its sandbox. It allowed the freedom, but it didn't give that many options for people that wanted to do other jobs besides fighting other players. After watching this interview, I'm not so sure anymore if they will ever remedy this. Tasos has said he wanted it to be an MMORPG with an FPS feel in an open "sandbox" world. This just screams out PvP, PvP, and more PvP. It isn't a true sandbox MMORPG if it doesn't allow people to do other tasks without being forced to PvP just to truly enjoy the game. Players need to have more options to play Darkfall for this game to attract a larger audience. I think this is the key for a very successful Darkfall 2.0.

A sandbox world is ran by the players. The people will need incentives to do things and tools to work with along with the freedom to be whatever in an open world.

2000+

am i the only one who thought darkfall had more commercial appeal to do english interviews
    AQ recruiting deck hands, cannoneers, a.b.s, riggers, cabin boys, powder monkeys, swabbies, cooks, swordsmen.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by bakamang View Post
    Grind is a sandbox feature? O_O.

I'm pretty sure Tasos won't be removing any of our "freedom" from Darkfall. AV is adding in more incentives for PvP and politics, so they are not forgetting about the sandbox. What the game has really lacked since day 1 are sandbox tools. Their last attempt were funhulks; we all know how great those things are, lol. Hopefully, they'll be improving on this in DF2.0. All they really have to do is add in random crap into the world and then observe how players will use them, or watch how it will affect the game world. They need to start playing around with these things a little bit more.

Along with the tools, DF1.0 didn't have anything else to do besides PvP. This was the biggest flaw in its sandbox. It allowed the freedom, but it didn't give that many options for people that wanted to do other jobs besides fighting other players. After watching this interview, I'm not so sure anymore if they will ever remedy this. Tasos has said he wanted it to be an MMORPG with an FPS feel in an open "sandbox" world. This just screams out PvP, PvP, and more PvP. It isn't a true sandbox MMORPG if it doesn't allow people to do other tasks without being forced to PvP just to truly enjoy the game. Players need to have more options to play Darkfall for this game to attract a larger audience. I think this is the key for a very successful Darkfall 2.0.

A sandbox world is ran by the players. The people will need incentives to do things and tools to work with along with the freedom to be whatever in an open world.
    Im not saying grind is a sandbox feature, im saying thats how darkfall felt like, atleast for me.

It did feel very much like a sandbox game in the beginning, because no one know how to move along(they didnt have a direction)

But later as people discovered more of the game, in my opinion it turned more into just a grind feel then a sandbox feel.
    Red Moon
    Mischievous Intentions

Normal User

Yeah, in the beginning people just played to play. People just ran around trying to learn the game and stuff. Darkfall changed for many people after its mystique was gone though. Nowadays with the 20x gains its just lots and lots of PvP, which is fine. It's a healthy thing for DF1.0 right now.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar Walmoor View Post
    I just love how they end up twisting the original meaning of Darkfall to suit their capabilities / lack of effort.
    At least be honest and say that because you cannot fulfill darkfall's potential (it being the ultimate 3d sandbox) , you are simply limiting yourselves to the lowest common denominator of "whacking" players in sight for their loot, with maybe a couple new rides this time and not everyone being the same clone.

So now Darkfall was always ment to be nothing more than a big pvp arena?

what about all the early development interviews and all the design concepts going much beyond and being much more complex than simply wacking anything in sight to steal their loot?

Why instead of adding into the game's potential you are only rehashing a very limited part of what could make it the best mmorpg of all time?

Why I dont see player run caravans, local banking, markets, building placement, movable and hireable NPC's (not the gif statues we have now), meaningful gameworld, meaningful and complex economy and crafting societies, regional resources, clan tools (such as being able to use heraldry designed by the clan, and showing it on flags and sails, etc..).

Now THAT would promote MUCH more influx of players, THAT would also ENHANCE Darkfalls potential and not what seems to be planned along. Where is the variety and complexity in this MMORPG?

Is it really going to get limited into wether to choose water or fire magic for pvp? what a huge waste of potential.

Dont expect people hang around in an MMORPG so shallow as this one where the only purpose and playstile is the mindless pvper.

Aventurine has the BEST chance in gaming history to make the perfect mmorpg due to darkfall's potential. Seamless world, no instances, physics, gameplay realism....
    Dont waste all that potential in making this game a glorified fps arena that really offers nothing new from current day fps other than having to grind all the way to properly "pvp".

Or at least dont PRETEND, like in that interview, that the current incarnation of darkfall is what you had planned all along....

If you really keep believing that 99% of playerbase left because of grind or newbie experience just because is the only thing the remaining playerbase can come up with then the direction of this game is doomed.

For a person who has never made any games in there life or dealt with anything to do in the industry you sure know how to flame crap. I know DFO has not been perfect, but from being in the field in game design, making a MMo is no easy task, and no matter what you tell you fans, they cry and complain, and many things happen, so in defense to the devs they changed the game for the better and people keep asking about a wipe, its clear the game will be OVER. So that means we will all start over...... Do you guys whine when you play planetside 1 and go to 2 and say what a waste? No, same with battlefield, ect.

If you feel you wasted your money maybe its time for new hobby because its just time and pixels, so get over it, once a server is off the pixels are gone, you DO NOT own them. People get way to attached to pixels, I just don't get it, I mean you lose it in PVP anyways most of the time etc....

Now for the gamers side, I agree they shouldn't even give dates because I know as well as anyone, that deadlines never happen .... thats what happens when you deal with programming , which is NOT perfect at all, things can go great and bam! One thing, then another and another, and if I was the Dev and keep telling you everything that went wrong , you would be like what are you guys stupid!! Well guess what that is how it goes in the world of gaming and MMO's are the worst, I have worked on MMO's, Iphone games, flash games, RPG's, xbox games, and MMo's are the worst, but even flash games can have issues and they are the simplest games in the world to make.... Programing is not perfect in any way.... SO get used to it in games.... You should be by now, but forgot people like to bitch about everything....

People say how great this game is well let them do there thing and enjoy what we got or just wait until the new game comes out...

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Dark03 View Post
    For a person who has never made any games in there life or dealt with anything to do in the industry you sure know how to flame crap. I know DFO has not been perfect, but from being in the field in game design, making a MMo is no easy task, and no matter what you tell you fans, they cry and complain, and many things happen, so in defense to the devs they changed the game for the better and people keep asking about a wipe, its clear the game will be OVER. So that means we will all start over...... Do you guys whine when you play planetside 1 and go to 2 and say what a waste? No, same with battlefield, ect.

If you feel you wasted your money maybe its time for new hobby because its just time and pixels, so get over it, once a server is off the pixels are gone, you DO NOT own them. People get way to attached to pixels, I just don't get it, I mean you lose it in PVP anyways most of the time etc....

Now for the gamers side, I agree they shouldn't even give dates because I know as well as anyone, that deadlines never happen .... thats what happens when you deal with programming , which is NOT perfect at all, things can go great and bam! One thing, then another and another, and if I was the Dev and keep telling you everything that went wrong , you would be like what are you guys stupid!! Well guess what that is how it goes in the world of gaming and MMO's are the worst, I have worked on MMO's, Iphone games, flash games, RPG's, xbox games, and MMo's are the worst, but even flash games can have issues and they are the simplest games in the world to make.... Programing is not perfect in any way.... SO get used to it in games.... You should be by now, but forgot people like to bitch about everything....

People say how great this game is well let them do there thing and enjoy what we got or just wait until the new game comes out...
    Hmmm, did you quote the wrong post?
    Frosth Norris, Leader of Order of the Pathways
    We're recruiting!