Page 1 of 20 1211 ... LastLast

Default Supreme Court upholds Obama health care law

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-plan-718037/1

The Supreme Court upheld President Obama's health care law today in a splintered, complex opinion that gives Obama a major election-year victory.

Basically. the justices said that the individual mandate -- the requirement that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a fine -- is constitutional as a tax.

Chief Justice John Roberts -- a conservative appointed by President George W. Bush -- provided the key vote to preserve the landmark health care law, which figures to be a major issue in Obama's re-election bid against Republican opponent Mitt Romney.

The government had argued that Congress had the authority to pass the individual mandate as part of its power to regulate interstate commerce; the court disagreed with that analysis, but preserved the mandate because the fine amounts to a tax that is within Congress' constitutional taxing powers.

The announcement will have a major impact on the nation's health care system, the actions of both federal and state governments, and the course of the November presidential and congressional elections.

The law's individual mandate had been the key question for the court.

Critics called the requirement an unconstitutional overreach by Congress and the Obama administration; supporters say it is necessary to finance the health care plan.

While the individual mandate remains 18 months away from implementation, many other provisions of the health care law already have gone into effect, such as free wellness exams for seniors and allowing children up to age 26 to remain on their parents' health insurance policies. Some of those provisions are likely to be retained by some insurance companies.

Other impacts will sort themselves out over the next several years:

-- Health care millions of Americans will be affected – coverage for some, premiums for others. Doctors, hospitals, drug makers, insurers, and employers large and small all will feel the impact.

-- States -- some of which have moved ahead with the health care overhaul while others have held back -- now have decisions to make. A deeply divided Congress could decide to re-enter the debate with legislation.

-- The presidential race between Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney is sure to feel the repercussions. Obama's health care law has proven to be slightly more unpopular than popular among Americans.

Not since the court confirmed George W. Bush's election in December 2000 -- before 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq, Wall Street's dive and Obama's rise -- has one case carried such sweeping implications for nearly every American.

Passed by Democrats along strictly partisan lines and still 18 months short of full implementation, the law is designed to extend health coverage to some 32 million uninsured people, ban insurers from discriminating against those with expensive ailments, and require nearly all Americans to buy insurance or pay penalties.

Its passage on March 23, 2010, marked the culmination of an effort by Democrats to overhaul the nation's health care system that dates back to Harry Truman's presidency. The most recent effort by President Bill Clinton in 1994 fell victim to Republican opposition. Since then, lesser changes have been enacted, including creation of a separate Children's Health Insurance Program in the states.

Seriously can't believe it passed.

Fuck this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

Not to be pedantic, but it's "that" or "my" country. Darkfall is Greek.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

Banned

obviously should have been upheld and as one of the few people on either side who actually understands whats in the bill and knows for a fact how it will positively affect me i can say im glad.

now obama can win in november and push legislation augmenting it for the better ( legislation that was originally intended but removed in attempt to be more bipartisan) but sinnce republicans have shown almost childlike stubborness to help or even let this sdministration fix our broken country. i believe that obama will no holds barred steamroll the more controvertial legislation and disregard the rights protests. nothing pissed me off more then watching democrats and obama desperately try to appease repubs only for the republicans to refuse to let the govrrnment do its job and ignore all the democrats compromises.

just need to make sure obama wins so he gets the oppurtunity to do whats best for our nations future now that he can make the tough calls without owrrying about reeldction.

if more americans actually understood the healthcare debate and how this bill would really affect them it would be far more popular. its sad that fox news and the republicans are able to twist facts so badly that they trick the average person into voting againdt their own best intrests.

the republican party is going to have to take a good look in the mirror if obama wins because in 2016 its going to be even harder for republicans once the less informed citizens have a chance to see the good done by the democrats.
    Last edited by Battle Smurf; 06-28-2012 at 15:59.

Ya now our budget can skyrocket because worthless people can't take care of themselves.

4000+

The government can now make you buy consumer goods under the guise that it's a “tax”. Fuck all you retards that told me to give obama a chance when I called his presidency to be a disaster.
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

This just demonstrates how pathetic our court system has become.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOkie View Post
    Ya now our budget can skyrocket because worthless people can't take care of themselves.
    ya fuck the handicapped.the sick. the mentally ill. and the poor college studentss who can barely pay for school without assuming massive debt. lets just drown them all in puddles so we can save 1% of the money needed to fund our next pointless war.

you and evrryone else who doesnt realize obama is trying to stop insurance and pharmacutical companies from totally fleecing the scared the sick and the dying sre heartless jackasses who deserve to get cancer so that in the off chance they do survive they live in debt and poverty regardless of having had "good" insurance thats assuming you dont get your coverage dropped when your provider finds out how sick you are and trys to claim cancer was a pre existing condition because if that happens there is no way you will be able to afford the massively overpriced drugs from the pharmacutical companies period.

healthcare should never have been considered a commodity for profit anything obama can do to make this less of the case in usa the better!
    Last edited by Battle Smurf; 06-28-2012 at 16:16.

3000+ Long term follower

Obama's healthcare bill wins in court, but paradoxically ihis re-election campaign now gets more difficult because of that victory.

The victory doesn't make the whole thing actually popular, its support is still under 50% three years later and now it's back in front as a campaign issue after serving the Republicans quite well as a campaign issue in 2010. Also the Republicans have a powerful attack angle, that back in 2009 Obama and the party denied quite frequently that it was a tax, well here it is now being validated as a tax. This is really going to put Obama on the hotseat.

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Smurf View Post
    obviously should have been upheld
    Where in the constitution does it give government the power to force people to buy private consumer goods for the simple act of breathing? This is nothing short of a complete perversion of government.
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Smurf View Post
    obviously should have been upheld and as one of the few people on either side who actually understands whats in the bill and knows for a fact how it will positively affect me i can say im glad.

the republican party is going to have to take a good look in the mirror if obama wins because in 2016 its going to be even harder for republicans once the less informed citizens have a chance to see the good done by the democrats.

No, Obama will send us further down the toilet by making more bad lending and spending choices and by not cutting the obese federal government. Also he will continue to stomp on the American people's rights, either by more inane legislation designed to limit personal choice or through non regulation of the banks. (Federal Reserve) Keep supporting someone who throws more money we don't have at people who don't need it.

Hurray for WELFARE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Abaratican View Post
    This just demonstrates how pathetic our court system has become.
    The courts have been bought.
    Last edited by -=GiMiK=-; 06-28-2012 at 16:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubby Bear View Post
    Its actually Maya game, not meta game. It comes from the ancient Mayan tradition of rubbing 2 phallic sticks together in a ritual simulating the bonding made by warriors battling in the grand arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    My mind is like a parachute. It only works if it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by -=GiMiK=- View Post

The court's have been bought.
    by who?

I have seen some interesting free market solutions to bring down costs from a pretty liberal economist.

Let more foreign doctors come from other countries and let students who study medicine stay after they finish school in the US.

Allow insurance companies to send people over seas for expensive operations.

Get rid of the medical patent system.

Let people buy into other governments insurance. If you live near Canada why not let people buy into the Canadian system.
    Last edited by Wufiavelli; 06-28-2012 at 16:42.

10,000+ Long term follower

What a joke.

An indirect tax on the absence of a transaction.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

Normal User

Fox and o'reilly trolled you.