Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    7000+

Work is primary for survival, i don't need to mention that, but with years of experience or just natural fitness, what ever you do will one day become fun and that way, you will want to do nothing, but work and days after days, the time goes by faster. At that point, you can easily make more money for more than what you need to live.
    The Ultimate Sticky Back

Quote Originally Posted by Itwasnt Luck View Post
    idk why people keep bringing this up. THE GOOD PLAYERS WILL NOT USE 1ST PERSON.

Banned

"Man never regards what he possesses as so much his own, as what he does; and the labourer who tends a garden is perhaps in a true sense its owner, than the listless voluptuary who enjoys its fruits. . . . In view of this consideration, it seems as if all peasants and craftsmen might be elevated into artists; that is, men who love their labour for its own sake, improve it by their own plastic genius and inventive skill, and thereby cultivate their intellect, ennoble their character, and exalt and refine their pleasures."

Good quote by one of the von Humboltd brothers, Wilhelm.

Its only a means of survival so long as one is relegated to the Fordist system of reducing men into machines, merely to transform X value into Y profit.

As long as one has a job that, disregarding all profit, allows them freedom of their own hands, self-management and self-direction and having a purpose, then one can live like the artisan or craftsmen, but so long as one remains in the standard corporate structure they become like that of serfs.

Here's a video on what is the most ideal conditions of work.
    Last edited by StrawberryClock; 06-28-2012 at 16:44.

Some people are born with the genetics to be naturally skilled, or at least gifted beyond the level of other people, in a trade or matter of intelligence that can grant them an income while simultaneously enjoying their work. However, most people are not so fortunate.

I do not possess any great talent, I can work hard at something and still come far short of those that do, so I see no point in putting my mind and body through the rigors and stress required to obtain a career. Instead, I choose to live extremely modestly, while working a low stress, low pay job. I still save a lot of money, more than most who earn even 3 times what I do. At least this way, I'll still retire.

Work is something you do to pay the bills until you can retire, unless you're one of the lucky ones who has an ingrained talent they can capitalize on in a field they know they will actually enjoy working in.

Quote Originally Posted by Forker View Post
    This isn't true. Atleast not in Canada, most farmers work everyday including Christmas. Hell you can NEVER miss a day milking a cow just FYI. Ask any kid that grew up on a farm all of hte chores they did.
    However, i'm also of the opinion the first world has no business growing food outside of specialized climate crops, as we could buy them MUCH MUCH cheaper from the 2nd/3rd world if our countries dropped the insane tariffs like they're slowly doing for China and Brazil(kfc chicken lol).
    It's the question of work vs living.

To a farmer, those daily activities are not really work. If he misses his shift, his boss does not call him up to yell at him. He will lose money, his farm may suffer, but that's all. He is still free. Not enslaved and trapped by someone else above him. That is the radical difference. He still puts in time and effort for money, but it's all for himself.
    Last edited by Death's Chill; 06-28-2012 at 17:55.

Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    Some people are born with the genetics to be naturally skilled, or at least gifted beyond the level of other people, in a trade or matter of intelligence that can grant them an income while simultaneously enjoying their work. However, most people are not so fortunate.
    In many cases professional success later in life can be the result of good parental input and orientation during person's early childhood instead of genetics or natural talent. Drilling professionally oriented skills from early childhood can help a person to become the best of the best in that specific line of work, enjoy one's work later in adulthood, and make the job significantly easier than for people who started drilling for the work later during their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    Work is something you do to pay the bills until you can retire, unless you're one of the lucky ones who has an ingrained talent they can capitalize on in a field they know they will actually enjoy working in.
    I also prefer the principle of working for living, not the principle of living for work. Some people become like hamsters in a wheel with their home-work-home routines. It's important to use the wealth from work income wisely and plan and implement different types of personal projects instead of hamstering all the income in some bank.

Normal User

Damn interesting discussion guys! I'll have to do some reading on the German Ideology. Had no freakin idea that people back in the day used to work less than us. How ironic is that?

I'm beginning to warm to the idea that the best case scenarios is to do what you love, even if you don't make a lot because you can always live frugal.