Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Middle schoolers bully bus monitor, 68, with stream of profanity, jeers

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/us/new...tor/index.html

(CNN) -- A profanity-laced video of middle school students in upstate New York verbally abusing a bus monitor is sparking an outpouring of support as strangers worldwide rally to her side.

Students taunt Karen Klein, 68, with a stream of profanity, insults, jeers and physical ridicule. Some boys demand to know her address, saying they want to come to her house to perform sexual acts and steal from her. Another says, "you're so fat."

One comment from a boy aboard the bus is especially painful. He tells her that she does not have family because "they all killed themselves because they didn't want to be near you."

Klein's oldest son took his own life 10 years ago, according to CNN affiliate WHAM.

The bullying continues unabated for about 10 minutes in the video, reducing Klein to tears as a giggling student jabs her arm with a book. Recorded by a student Monday with a cell phone camera, the brazen example of bullying went viral and spurred international outrage.

The incident occurred in Greece, New York, near Rochester. Klein is a bus monitor for the Greece Central School District, and the harassers hail from the Greece Athena Middle School, the school said Thursday on its website, although it did not identify Klein.

Klein described her tormenters "regular, normal kids" and said that "one on one, they're OK."

"Just don't get a bunch of them together. That's when the trouble starts," she said.

As the intimidation unfolded, she said, she tried her best to disregard the harassment and didn't hear everything that was uttered. But she said the hazing hurt deeply. At one point, she said, she told two children, "I am a person, too. I shouldn't be treated this way."

Klein told WHAM that she doesn't know whether bullies can be charged. But, she said, "they should have some form of punishment."

Attempts to reach all parties involved Wednesday were unsuccessful.

The video prompted an outpouring of support and a fundraiser by an international crowd funding site that had gathered nearly $200,000 by Thursday afternoon.

"Let's give Karen a vacation of a lifetime. Let's show her the power of the internets and how kind and generous people can be," the fundraiser's organizer, identified as Max S., said on the indiegogo.com website.

"Everyone at indiegogo was so proud this morning to see Karen Klein on television talking so bravely about her experience and we hope that this indiegogo campaign contributes positively to the important national discussion about bullying," indiegogo's CEO, Slava Rubin, said in a statement.

The organizer was joined Thursday by a woman identifying herself as Klein's daughter, Amanda.

"I have spoken with Max and with Indiegogo and we just want to thank you so much for your support," the woman wrote on the site. "We are completely overwhelmed."

The school district said its bullying team and the local police are conducting an investigation.

"We have discovered other similar videos on YouTube and are working to identify all of the students involved," the school district said in a statement.

It did not elaborate on whether the additional videos are related to Klein's case.

"While we cannot comment on specific student discipline, we can say that students found to be involved will face strong disciplinary action," the school district said.

The students are minors, according to the school district. CNN does not name minors involved in alleged crimes unless they are charged as adults.

Officials involved in the investigation will hold a news conference Thursday.

Klein said she hopes the spectacle "might help other people." And, she said, she hopes that these children "get their share of someone bullying them."

"I hope what goes around comes around," she said.
    Bullying has definitely been blown out of proportion in many cases but I had a hard time reading this story. I don’t know what the fuck I would do if these little shits were harassing my grandmother like that. Not only did they verbally harass her but at one point one of these little fucks started poking her.

Should bus operators be given the power to eject children like this from the bus and leave them on the side of the highway?

From what I understand 4chan managed to get the kids addresses and some revenge is now ensuing, they families had to disconnect their phones, dead animals left on their property etc.

Is the revenge justified or not? What say ye forumfall?
    Last edited by doomahx; 06-21-2012 at 17:35.

10,000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by doomahx View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/us/new...tor/index.html

Bullying has definitely been blown out of proportion in many cases but I had a hard time reading this story. I don’t know what the fuck I would do if these little shits were harassing my grandmother like that. Not only did they verbally harass her but at one point one of these little fucks started poking her.

Should bus operators be given the power to eject children like this from the bus and leave them on the side of the highway?

From what I understand 4chan managed to get the kids addresses and some revenge is now ensuing, they families had to disconnect their phones, dead animals left on their property etc.

Is the revenge justified or not? What say ye forumfall?
    Now you know why spanking is necessary. They have no fear of reprisal and no, they aren't all 'bad' kids who's parents suck. Like she said, one on one they are probably fine. Back in the day, the first one that got out of line would have been smacked across the back of the head, end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
    99% of human resource offices are paid for by grants (non-tax dollars).

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Now you know why spanking is necessary.
    Of course none of those kids were ever spanked and spanking them would instantly solve the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Of course none of those kids were ever spanked and spanking them would instantly solve the problem.
    Don't jump, the point might hit you in the head.

OK, despite the fact that I think you are being deliberately obtuse, I will expound further on the point rather than leave w/the witty one-liner.

Nothing I said constitutes the belief that all kids must be spanked and if they had been spanked the problem would be solved. You have to take the whole paragraph in context. The knowledge that they are protected from reprisal both immediate and in the future and the lack of immediate adult corrective reaction to their behavior are the reasons why this got out of hand.

As I said, back in the day, any adult would have ended this immediately with a slap on the back of the head and/or a tug on an ear. And the parents would have backed them up. Today, it's lawsuits and "abuse". They (the kids) feel protected and entitled to do/say what they want.
    Last edited by StainlessSteelRat; 06-21-2012 at 17:48.
    If 3/4 of all the money spent on defense was diverted into education funds, public school would be dirt cheap

Don't jump, the point might hit you in the head.

OK, despite the fact that I think you are being deliberately obtuse, I will expound further on the point rather than leave w/the witty one-liner.

Nothing I said constitutes the belief that all kids must be spanked and if they had been spanked the problem would be solved. You have to take the whole paragraph in context. The knowledge that they are protected from reprisal both immediate and in the future and the lack of immediate adult corrective reaction to their behavior are the reasons why this got out of hand.

As I said, back in the day, any adult would have ended this immediately with a slap on the back of the head and/or a tug on an ear. And the parents would have backed them up. Today, it's lawsuits and "abuse". They (the kids) feel protected and entitled to do/say what they want.
    I have worked in school systems where kids can be hit, and I have yet to see these magical effects you talk about.

Where it does have a place in a very narrow sense disciplined with kids in a school setting is 95% classroom management. A whack to the back of the head can help in the right situation but its something that needs to use sparingly to be effective.

4000+

The kids have ruined their own lives by posting a video they themselves have recorded. With what they're experiencing now, plus the future confirmed punishments by the school, plus the living in constant fear and having cops posted at their houses for protection. I'm pretty sure justice has been served if not overly served. The lady is also getting $233,639 and that's just from two days of fund raising.
    What will an attack from Russia look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    palo god saved my cock!

Quote Originally Posted by Wufiavelli View Post
    I have worked in school systems where kids can be hit, and I have yet to see these magical effects you talk about.

Where it does have a place in a very narrow sense disciplined with kids in a school setting is 95% classroom management. A whack to the back of the head can help in the right situation but its something that needs to use sparingly to be effective.
    Again, you are missing the point. It's not a question of making sure to hit a kid any time they screw up. But in my time, if one or two kids had started to talk smack to a 68 yr old woman, both would have gotten their heads knocked by the driver and again by the parents when they got home. And it's the knowledge that his would be the guaranteed outcome should anyone decide to talk smack that would prevent most, if not all, children from doing it in the first place. It's called a deterrent.

And I never said it was a universal magical cure to all that ails us. It's pretty easy to refute exaggerated and extreme positions; doesn't mean you can re-state my position to make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    No...the spankings should have started when they were toddlers. By the time they are in middle school and puberty, its pretty much too late.

Now the best thing for them is to be abused by jerry sandusky and the world not to care. It's nothing less than what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    No...the spankings should have started when they were toddlers. By the time they are in middle school and puberty, its pretty much too late.

Now the best thing for them is to be abused by jerry sandusky and the world not to care. It's nothing less than what they deserve.
    If i was their parent I would make them wear a shirt every time they want to go out with their friends that reads “I like to harass grandmothers until they are brought to tears, harass me a bit so I know what it’s like” With an url to the youtube video printed on the back. I would also have them volunteer at her house for 10 hours a week, if she even wanted to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by doomahx View Post
    If i was their parent I would make them wear a shirt every time they want to go out with their friends that reads “I like to harass grandmothers until they are brought to tears, harass me a bit so I know what it’s like” With an url to the youtube video printed on the back. I would also have them volunteer at her house for 10 hours a week, if she even wanted to see them.
    And do you think you could get away with doing that? You don't think someone is going to step in and claim that what you are doing will scar your kid psychologically? That you are abusing them? That you are encouraging bullying of your own child? What a horrible parent you are, take that child away from him. We must save that child.

i don't like fat people
    i think they're stupid for being fat

if i was a child i would call her a stupid fat lazy bus driver
    if she can't take that, then tell her to kill herself like her own child

toodles

Banned EU1 Player

boring story zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kids should fear adults! Its how it should be not the other way around. Kids and teenagers need to be taught that talking smack like that will get you smacked. Hell all my life my parents have taught me not to be a little prick and if i were they would punish my ass. Its only the past 1-2 years that they have layed off because im getting to an age where its my descions that affect my life now.
    Ener theWild Supreme General of Duckjobtrolls
    Ex-Colonel of ZERG

Quote Originally Posted by connor123 View Post
    Kids should fear adults! Its how it should be not the other way around. Kids and teenagers need to be taught that talking smack like that will get you smacked. Hell all my life my parents have taught me not to be a little prick and if i were they would punish my ass. Its only the past 1-2 years that they have layed off because im getting to an age where its my descions that affect my life now.
    Exactly...having 4 sons, the youngest being 10. I spanked them all when they were younger. None of them have been in troubles at school or with the law. It's been a long time since the last time I had to hit one of them.

spare the rod, spoil the child is so much more true than...positive reinforcement is better than negative reinforcement. That's bullshit, life has negatives, the sooner kids learn that, the better they can cope with it and adjust their behaviour accordingly.

Banned EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    Exactly...having 4 sons, the youngest being 10. I spanked them all when they were younger. None of them have been in troubles at school or with the law. It's been a long time since the last time I had to hit one of them.

spare the rod, spoil the child is so much more true than...positive reinforcement is better than negative reinforcement. That's bullshit, life has negatives, the sooner kids learn that, the better they can cope with it and adjust their behaviour accordingly.
    You clearly lack education and parenting skills if the only way you can punish your child is by psychically ABUSING it. Only unintelligent parents would resort to "hitting" their child....

You should be reported for this... look how Michael Jackson turned out because his father hit him.. one of 100000000 examples.

+ The only thing you teach them in Adult life is if someone does something wrong you should hit them.. Which could lead them into fights were they seriously injure themselves or others.. this is BAD for society.
    Last edited by KipperTheDog; 06-21-2012 at 20:49.